Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #4,951 of 7,699
Hello.

I have a question about OCC cables.

Is it better with 5N or 4N OCC, because im going to replace my original cable for Sennheiser IE 80 and the 2 cable im looking at have 8 Core 4N OCC - 2nd is 5N OCC, don't know how many Core it have if that's even help the sound quality.

Best Regards Jimmy.

Oct 9, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #4,952 of 7,699
I need to replace my cable and not wanting to spend a fortune was going to plump for stock. However I am tempted to replace with the IE8 cable which in my view is superior. Can anyone tell me if soundwise the IE8 cable is OK with the IE80?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #4,953 of 7,699
Recently picked up the IE80 from Amazon.de; it was shipped from Spain (Amazon EU basically.) Got it within 3-5 days, really quick for the standard Amazon UPS Worldwide Express Saver, and was only 192,94 Euros shipped. Roughly came out to ~$262 before currency exchange fees, $270 total (fees were about ~$7.) Not a bad deal at all lol.

It was sold and shipped by Amazon, and everything for the most part seems to be legit, although (and as mentioned earlier in this thread) there's no "PK_xxxxxx" code on the box/under the EAN barcode. Also, I noticed that the tips (accidentally?) came with 3x of the small single-flanged silicone tips, meaning that one of the medium double-flanged silicone tips is missing (maybe a mistake during packing?)

So there's only 1x of the medium double-flanged silicone tips; sucks b/c I wanted to try them out for a deeper insertion/seal. Oh well, the medium stock single-flanged tips seem to be working fine for the most part. Other than that mistake, the supplied tips seem fine otherwise.

I successfully registered the IE80 on the Sennheiser website (for warranty), so idk, :/. Oh, and also, the inner foam inside the carrying case seems to be slightly "warped" (meaning the foam on one side is not completely flush with the edge of the case), although the foam seems to have that pronounced fine cut-out edges, so if anything it is probably just an OCD issue about how it looks kinda awkward, lol.

But yeah, other than those quirks (one extra small single-flanged tip/missing one medium double-flanged tip, the weird looking part of the foam, and no PK_xxxxxx or "Sennheiser authenticity holographic sticker" thing), it seems to be alright, and I don't think that Amazon EU would be selling fakes, so... hm.

So far I did try out the "tape-mod", and for some reason I found it to make the mid-range a bit overly gritty/grainy sounding. Without the tape-mod, it seems to have more of an airy sound that I sorta prefer right now, ehh... it's weird. The IE80s of course right out of the box kind of sounded very muddy and unfocused, but after a little burn-in time (maybe ~20-30hrs roughly so far), it definitely sounds clearer and more focused. Turning the bass-dial up seems to really increase the sub-bass, which can be unbearable at times, but I can definitely see its usefulness in certain situations, such as in noisy/busy environments (flights, buses, etc.) where adequate bass-response that is often lacking. I've been mostly using them with the bass adjustment at the lowest setting so far.

It still isn't as resolving as my HD650 (of course, lol), but it definitely resembles the laid-back sound and overall sound-signature of the HD650 which I find nice. The soundstage for an IEM seems to be very impressive, although clearly nothing like the soundstage of the HD650s. The imaging is really accurate and has an overall laid-back sound that doesn't shove details in your face like the Etymotic ER4-S does, but retains them behind a layered, airy kind of sound-signature that requires you to focus a little more to spot than with BA driver IEMs (this is what I'm assuming, since BAs seem to be more inherently detailed than dynamic driver IEMs in general.)

So far though, overall I've been pretty pleased with them. I'd like to upgrade the cable someday to a silver cable, but don't know whether or not to go for the more pricey ones like Toxic Cables offerings (Silver Poison/Silver Widow, which I'd probably get terminated to an RSA/ALO balanced mini to use with one of those amps I guess.) The only thing is that for portable use the majority of the silver cables seem a little too flashy for my tastes (unless there are cable-sheathing or w/e available too.) Not sure if I should spend more of that money to upgrade the IE80 cable or to invest it in some other IEMs though, ehh. Is an upgrade cable (silver, etc.) really worth it for the IE80s?

Anyway, maybe I should give them a little more burn-in time for now with the stock cable, lol. Was pretty disappointed with that tape-mod though, :frowning2: Didn't expect that grittyness; maybe it was the type of tape I used/how I applied it? I only used a small sized piece of regular scotch "magic" tape (not transparent/clear tape, but semi-opaque scotch tape), and mostly only covering the bass-adjustment ports. Found them to be too grainy and less-airy sounding with the tape, so I took it off. Eh... :/.

Hm... Maybe I should try to e-mail Sennheiser about the missing tips/case-foam issue?

edit: Nvm about the bass-adjustment... turning it a notch or two up (in the middle basically) kinda smooths it out a little more and provides more of a punch... Weird, maybe due to the burn in? I did sorta notice over the past day or two that the bass hasn't been as intense as when I first received the IE80s (about a week ago), as it was already pretty punchy straight out of the box; turning it up a notch or two now seems to be a little more satisfying though, and resembles the bass-punch of the HD650 to an extent I guess.

Oh well. Maybe I should re-try that tape-mod with the bass adjusted this time and using clearer/transparent tape covering more than just the immediate adjustment-port/hole area to see if it'll reduce that grainy/reduced airy-sound this time around, lol.

Oct 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #4,954 of 7,699
I just picked up a pair of ie80's to compare to my monster miles davis tributes. I let them burn in for a day and then gave a listen. It was good but nothing really that much better or any better than the monsters. I adjusted the bass level which was a nice feature and did the tape mod which gave a better sound, but again nothing really gave me the impression they were an upgrade. The thing i didnt like about them most is the wire over the ear. It never stays behind my ear and that is very annoying. This is the first wire over the iem that i have had and i do not like it.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #4,956 of 7,699
I got a pair of IE80 last week, out of the box the sound was very much muffed. I am 'burning' it all night since then, maybe 50hrs now? Vocals definitely improved a bit now, but sometimes can still be 'drowned' by instruments, also bass can be a little bit too much at minimum bass setting. Hopefully it can improve after further burn in.

I am using iPhone 5 to drive it, yesterday I tried the IE80 on a Colorfly C4 at my friends place, and oh boy, the improvement is quite substantial, especially for the vocals, they are much clearer and forward. Despite I like it very much, C4 is not cheap...., does anyone tried other cheaper portable sources? Like the X3? Thanks!

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #4,957 of 7,699
I like the X3, IE80 combo.
IE80 bass dial on the lowest setting. On the X3 I keep bass and treble at 0 or if I'm in a less bass mood I set it at -2 on the X3.

Oct 18, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #4,958 of 7,699
Still pretty happy with my IE80, recently "upgraded" from my 2nd generation iPod touch to an iPod classic 160GB. No a big different soundwise the only thing that bothers me is that it doesnt respond as well on the lower volume settings as it did on my iPod Touch. Will an amp fix this? Also the equalizer really sucks :frowning2: Overall still great since I can carry all my music with my, at a good sound quality.

Just looking for an allround amp that amplifies everything (Especially the bass since it is lacking on these lower volumes now). I was thinking of an FiiO E11 in combination with an lineout. Anyone else use a amp with their IE80?

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #4,959 of 7,699
I had both models at the same time, but eventually sold the IE80s after preferring the iE8s for the aforementioned reasons above. Note that other folks may have their own rationale for opting to either IEMS. Regarding, music genres, that's always a tough question for me as I'd like to think I have an eclectic taste in music, and as a consequence, I reckon that I'm a fan of the IE8s because I think they are excellent all-rounders. In no order of preference I like Classical, Jazz, Alternative, Rock, Soca, Calypso, Reggae, Dance-Hall, Hip-Pop, Techno...as long as it sounds good to me I'll listen to it...

I'm actually using my old ie8i cable with the ie80. Awesome. Compared to the ie80 stock, there seems to be more subbass. Just gives a more balanced, warm sound. The cable build and feel is also nice in the ie8i.

Oct 19, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #4,960 of 7,699
  Still pretty happy with my IE80, recently "upgraded" from my 2nd generation iPod touch to an iPod classic 160GB. No a big different soundwise the only thing that bothers me is that it doesnt respond as well on the lower volume settings as it did on my iPod Touch. Will an amp fix this? Also the equalizer really sucks :frowning2: Overall still great since I can carry all my music with my, at a good sound quality.

Just looking for an allround amp that amplifies everything (Especially the bass since it is lacking on these lower volumes now). I was thinking of an FiiO E11 in combination with an lineout. Anyone else use a amp with their IE80?

how about fiio e17?

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,962 of 7,699
Also I have the alo continental v3 it's very clean detailed and netreul ..it really don't change the sound of the ie80. But amplifys them beautiful..I really love the amp..with B.Aiems it kinda makes them sound a little lean but with dynamic iems it really makes them shine imo. Happy listening.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #4,963 of 7,699
I'm actually using my old ie8i cable with the ie80. Awesome. Compared to the ie80 stock, there seems to be more subbass. Just gives a more balanced, warm sound. The cable build and feel is also nice in the ie8i.

Do you reckon, that the IE80, and IE8 are the same, but that the slight variation in cable is responsible for the slight difference in sound? I didn't really think to change around the cables because I didn't expect to see any noticeable change between them.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #4,965 of 7,699
Hi guys!

I currently own the Westone Um3x and i love/hate this iem. For sure it's a top tier, a lot of detail in the sound. Basicly the tuning of this iem is not very good for mainstream music, bass a lot of mids and treble really suffer.

I was thinking about the ie80 and i have some questions for you:

I don't like distant sound presentation, let's say like the hd 650. I like a lot the Amperior and the Px 100 ii . Which side is the ie80?
I really hope they have a fun engaging sound.

Thanks
I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back