Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #4,216 of 7,699
My initial thought with the tape mod was also, where has the bass gone? The answer is nowhere. Listening to Deadmau5' 2012 album the bass was way deep and I could hear the extended notes. What I no longer heard was the bass boom that came before the tape mod. This takes the bass way low and it still has just as much impact. Getting the depth of seal correct with the JVC tips is the trick and with a little bit of adjustment in your ears the bass is there in spades. I've got some large JVCs coming as my right ear seems to be bigger than my left. This might make it even better. I'll post when they arrive.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #4,217 of 7,699
If you want a preview of the tape mod, just turn your bass know to the lowest setting. Alternatively, put your fingers over the relevant area and you'll hear an immediate difference.

Mar 4, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #4,218 of 7,699
If you want a preview of the tape mod, just turn your bass know to the lowest setting. Alternatively, put your fingers over the relevant area and you'll hear an immediate difference. But I'm coming from the IE8s.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #4,219 of 7,699
Quote:
If you want a preview of the tape mod, just turn your bass know to the lowest setting. Alternatively, put your fingers over the relevant area and you'll hear an immediate difference. But I'm coming from the IE8s.

I still find doing that to change the sound opposed to just having the tape in place. Touching the IEM itself induces noise lol. At least that is how it works for me.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #4,220 of 7,699
Quote:
I still find doing that to change the sound opposed to just having the tape in place. Touching the IEM itself induces noise lol. At least that is how it works for me.

Mine's fine :p

But the suggestion was just to get a sample instead of placing sticky stuff all over and then not liking it i.e. do it when you are home, in a quiet environment, so one can hear the little nuances etc :)

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #4,221 of 7,699
Quote:

Mine's fine :p

But the suggestion was just to get a sample instead of placing sticky stuff all over and then not liking it i.e. do it when you are home, in a quiet environment, so one can hear the little nuances etc :)

I'd say to really grasp it spend time with it and get fully accustomed to that sound. Then revert back to stock and see how muddy the IE8s/IE80s really are lol. It's quite awful when you go back to stock. I couldn't at that point.

Mar 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #4,222 of 7,699
Quote:
I'd say to really grasp it spend time with it and get fully accustomed to that sound. Then revert back to stock and see how muddy the IE8s/IE80s really are lol. It's quite awful when you go back to stock. I couldn't at that point.

Not if it means my IE8s look stark pooie ugly 
cool.gif

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4,225 of 7,699
Just received my IE8's and I am enjoying them thoroughly. I tried them first with just a computer as a source and they sounded too boomy/distorted at times. Plugged them into my Pico DAC/Amp and it cleaned right up which I suspected. I've noticed this with multiple IEMs and headphones even if they are generally regarded as not needing an amp. They are a little too bright to be perfect for my tastes, but they nothing that will stop me from really enjoying them.

Now I have a potential trade option... I could trade my Senn Momentums for a like-new pair of IE80's. Not sure what to do! I like the IE8 enough to keep it and be happy, but if the IE80 improvements are really that significant I'd like to give them a try.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #4,226 of 7,699
An off-topic question...
Something has been bothering me for quite sometime now when listening to IEMs in general... 
In my head, the music tends to lean more on the left side. 
Is this just because of the body's orientation (left cerebral hemi. = creative, right cerebral hemi. = analytical), or am i going deaf on my right ear?
Could it also be the IEMs? BAH!

** BTW, holden4th was right, i could hear the lower bass tones much clearly with the tape mod; just reduced emphasis/power on mid bass. 
My silver cables are coming in a week, hopefully these will enhance my IE80 experience as I am still hesitant on carrying a portable amp.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #4,227 of 7,699
Well if you have ear wax build up in the screen that could cause that volume imbalance. I had an issue like that on my first pair of IE8s. Not sure if it was due to ear wax though. If it continues to really bother you and if you have warranty still consider getting them exchanged.

Mar 5, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #4,228 of 7,699
Quote:
Just received my IE8's and I am enjoying them thoroughly. I tried them first with just a computer as a source and they sounded too boomy/distorted at times. Plugged them into my Pico DAC/Amp and it cleaned right up which I suspected. I've noticed this with multiple IEMs and headphones even if they are generally regarded as not needing an amp. They are a little too bright to be perfect for my tastes, but they nothing that will stop me from really enjoying them.

Now I have a potential trade option... I could trade my Senn Momentums for a like-new pair of IE80's. Not sure what to do! I like the IE8 enough to keep it and be happy, but if the IE80 improvements are really that significant I'd like to give them a try.

Just my experience, but I don't find the IE80 to be a significant improvement over the IE8. In fact, I slightly prefer the IE8. In my quest to try to see why that's the case. I think the decays are more pleasant on the IE8, at least in my opinion. The midrange Is also smoother, and perhaps more nuanced or refined. This may be a result of the IE8 having a by more mid-bass, and so vocals come across as having more chest. The differences are subtle, but I find the IE80 to be a tad dry sounding in comparison.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #4,229 of 7,699
Quote:
Just my experience, but I don't find the IE80 to be a significant improvement over the IE8. In fact, I slightly prefer the IE8. In my quest to try to see why that's the case. I think the decays are more pleasant on the IE8, at least in my opinion. The midrange Is also smoother, and perhaps more nuanced or refined. This may be a result of the IE8 having a by more mid-bass, and so vocals come across as having more chest. The differences are subtle, but I find the IE80 to be a tad dry sounding in comparison.

Exactly! The IE80 is grainier in comparison. I really liked the IE8, but the IE80 spoiled it, IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back