Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #2,266 of 7,699
The size of the ipod video and the brilliant wheel is perfect in my hands, then you add the rockbox - it rocks. I like the neutral sounding of the RB'd ipod video, and I never been a fan of digital manipulations.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #2,267 of 7,699

Quote:
The size of the ipod video and the brilliant wheel is perfect in my hands, then you add the rockbox - it rocks. I like the neutral sounding of the RB'd ipod video, and I never been a fan of digital manipulations.

You sure its neutral? I found the ipod with the wolfson chip to be more on the warm side of things. It was still a nice sounding DAP though. The IE80 is on the warm side as is so I find it to pair very well with a neutral DAP which brings out the details and full performance of the IE80s.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #2,268 of 7,699
Yes neutral to my ears as I am listening now with the IE80. Happy with the sound and want to keep that way. With that said, the best thing I have done is having rockboxed the iPod video to play the flac's. That made a huge jump (3D imaging) for me from the iPhone 4s. I have totally lost appetite for iphone's music.

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #2,271 of 7,699

Quote:

I would say a bargain for the price.

I personally don't own one but a close acquaintance of mine does and I have auditioned and listened to it extensively and numerous of times, the Piccolino cable is undoubtfully probably the best cable one could buy with money for the IE8/80 and no doubts suited very well with other IEM's or headphones, as Parrots would say. Maybe that's why I said the Galaxy cable is not worth it, or because my baseline for cable's is quite high, simply because the Piccolino overshadows the Galaxy cable easily as a laughable "toy"....anywho I'm going to list my Galaxy cable in the F/S thread maybe tomorrow for $90, used few times and $15 cheaper from the price I bought it for.

2c

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #2,272 of 7,699
@lee730

i get what you mean on your neutral sounding dap.. my macbook sounds like that too everything you said .. it opens a lot of details i remember listening on my laptop with the fx700s but it became too bright for me and fatiguing as well.. w4 is also on the warm side but less warmer on the midbass than the ie80s ..

but the vocals on my laptop aren't in your face thing only the soundstage really gets wide and reveals more details and the instruments really becomes fuller utilizing the soundstage spacing so my fx700s mids gets drowned by the instruments there..

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #2,273 of 7,699
i just realise that my silver galaxy cable have a defect. the upper part of the jack was abit pushed and causes bend (i dont know how to explain it but i have put a pict). will these effect the sound quality ?
frown.gif

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2,275 of 7,699

Quote:

I personally don't own one but a close acquaintance of mine does and I have auditioned and listened to it extensively and numerous of times, the Piccolino cable is undoubtfully probably the best cable one could buy with money for the IE8/80 and no doubts suited very well with other IEM's or headphones, as Parrots would say. Maybe that's why I said the Galaxy cable is not worth it, or because my baseline for cable's is quite high, simply because the Piccolino overshadows the Galaxy cable easily as a laughable "toy"....anywho I'm going to list my Galaxy cable in the F/S thread maybe tomorrow for $90, used few times and $15 cheaper from the price I bought it for.

2c

How much does that Piccolino cable cost?

Quote:
i just realise that my silver galaxy cable have a defect. the upper part of the jack was abit pushed and causes bend (i dont know how to explain it but i have put a pict). will these effect the sound quality ?
frown.gif

That sucks. I would recommend either returning it or getting a replacement. When that placebo kicks in you never know the real sound anymore.

Apr 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #2,277 of 7,699

Quote:
http://www.unclewilsons.com/acc01.html

No thanks. 

Only $1,338.00?
wink_face.gif
I wish I have a chance to hear the hype myself. If that cable can turn any crap into heaven of music I don't mind paying for that price.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #2,279 of 7,699

Quote:

Only $1,338.00?
wink_face.gif
I wish I have a chance to hear the hype myself. If that cable can turn any crap into heaven of music I don't mind paying for that price.

Anyone with DIY and sources to buy Piccolino cable or know someone who can make one pay ALOT less for a DIY then buy a ripoff from Jaben's. Which is the route this person I know went with. And with any cables, IEM and headphones > crap in > crap out, but the difference between the Picco and the Galaxy is very distinguishable. 

Even so there are other cables that will let you hear more then just the Galaxy.

Quote:
I guess it's a "small" price to pay.

Small price, you crazy? Sarcasm or not for that price I can buy myself another HD800, or another ES5 for myself. 

NOTE: Just fyi, Uncle Wilsons and Jaben's are related. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back