Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #2,251 of 7,699

Quote:

Thanks for sharing! These songs are great, and this makes it even clearer that there's something seriously wrong with the seal on my IE 80s. Not to mention rumbling, I can barely hear the bass at the various times you mentioned.

However when I push the drivers downwards and inwards (so that the wire-connector moves away from my ears), the subbass becomes phenomenal. It's the deepest subbass I have ever felt in an IEM. For what it's worth, the large dual flange tips don't seem large enough. Or it could be that my ear canals are shaped weird and I need a large pair of foam tips. I did get a very good seal with Comply on the PFE132 and Shures on the SE215.

there has to be something wrong here... esp since complys or foamies will increase the bass (although muddy the rest of the spectrum)... personally i dont seem to have any fit/seal issues with any of my iems, but the ie80's are certaintly known for their lower frequency reproduction, and not just quantity but amazing quality as well.

I just stumbled upon another song that the IE80 performs great at... this song has a 32hz low 'C' note that I'm curious to see if people can perceive it, and the amplitude at which they perceive. out of the ex1000's, fx700s, and ie80s, the ie80s sure hit this note the best IMO

its at 1.15

http://soundcloud.com/chrisbmusik/chrisb-on-a-whim-free-download

ChrisB - On a Whim

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #2,252 of 7,699

Quote:
so after an hour after 2 hour of listening the ie 80 with the silver galaxy cable i notice some different in the sound. the bass and treble seems more controlled and theres a little bit more of clarity. the vocal seems more clearer too. but honestly speaking i have a hard time to spot the difference (untrained ear) but im sure experts would find the difference instantly. i have to swap between the stock cable and the silver cable to spot the different in sound.
heres some pic of the silver cable. i tested it with an old 30gb ipod video with no amp.

I had my Silver Galaxy burned up to about 40 hours mark this is a/bing with the stock cable on my IE8 and the differences weren't too great. The bass I felt reduced a tad bit and more controlled or a bit tighter, treble and mids about the same maybe bit more smoother and extension, which are the characteristics of what pure silver cables does, makes everything bit more smoothed out and reducing bass by a bit and adversely copper does the opposite while adding more warmth.

You will notice a difference between the two cables if you start listening to the same songs analytically, which I don't do most of the time, music is a music, it's just your brain thinking that there is some difference when the difference is very little, yet again the price don't justify the quality of these cables in my opinion, that is until you move up the range and get some Piccolino or Cryo treated cables from ALO then it makes a more marginal or bigger difference, but not day and night difference of what a lot of posters here acclaim.

I even had my doubts at the start whether or not it was pure silver being used because as I posted my post impressions without any burn-in, there was a huge amount of bass uncontrolled like a wild woman in bed, and the treble sounded bit sibilant, to me this is what SPC cables do not pure silver, but eventually the sound smoothed out and sounded more controlled after a nights worth of burn-in. So more doubts there.

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #2,253 of 7,699

Quote:

I had my Silver Galaxy burned up to about 40 hours mark this is a/bing with the stock cable on my IE8 and the differences weren't too great. The bass I felt reduced a tad bit and more controlled or a bit tighter, treble and mids about the same maybe bit more smoother and extension, which are the characteristics of what pure silver cables does, makes everything bit more smoothed out and reducing bass by a bit and adversely copper does the opposite while adding more warmth.

You will notice a difference between the two cables if you start listening to the same songs analytically, which I don't do most of the time, music is a music, it's just your brain thinking that there is some difference when the difference is very little, yet again the price don't justify the quality of these cables in my opinion, that is until you move up the range and get some Piccolino or Cryo treated cables from ALO then it makes a more marginal or bigger difference, but not day and night difference of what a lot of posters here acclaim.

I even had my doubts at the start whether or not it was pure silver being used because as I posted my post impressions without any burn-in, there was a huge amount of bass uncontrolled like a wild woman in bed, and the treble sounded bit sibilant, to me this is what SPC cables do not pure silver, but eventually the sound smoothed out and sounded more controlled after a nights worth of burn-in. So more doubts there.

I would say a bargain for the price.

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #2,254 of 7,699
yesterday I had the chance to A/B my w4 with the ie80..
can't believe how very huge the soundstage of the ie80's were .. i felt the midbass was still there..
it really feels like you're in a concert but very far away from the stage and it sounds natural and very airy especially on the highs but was too much very distant sounding for my liking

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #2,255 of 7,699

Quote:
yesterday I had the chance to A/B my w4 with the ie80..
can't believe how very huge the soundstage of the ie80's were .. i felt the midbass was still there..
it really feels like you're in a concert but very far away from the stage and it sounds natural and very airy especially on the highs but was too much very distant sounding for my liking

I love to have my space :). Then again with medium gain it brings things just where I want them on my DX100. On the Studio V the sound stage is very wide and the vocals are in your face.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #2,256 of 7,699

Quote:

I love to have my space :). Then again with medium gain it brings things just where I want them on my DX100. On the Studio V the sound stage is very wide and the vocals are in your face.

this is interesting
rolleyes.gif
.. mids is what I love on the w4/um3x because of how natural and intimate they were for me..

i hope that i'm lucky enough that someone here locally has the studio V too..

soundstage is the widest i've heard more wider than the fx700s..

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #2,257 of 7,699

Quote:

this is interesting
rolleyes.gif
.. mids is what I love on the w4/um3x because of how natural and intimate they were for me..

i hope that i'm lucky enough that someone here locally has the studio V too..

soundstage is the widest i've heard more wider than the fx700s..

Yeah to give you an idea of what I mean. I get the feeling things are happening down the hall to the side of me. That is how wide the sound stage is with the Studio V. Yet the Vocal presentation is quite intimate without getting invading or irritating. And due to the spaciousness it makes it very easy to pick up details; separation is also amazing. The treble is super clear, there is so much energy and dynamics on the Studio V. Overall the Studio V is quite a neutral sounding DAP which pairs well with the IE80s IMO. It also pairs pretty well with the FX700 but since the FX700 is on the brighter side and the Studio V is on the brighter side it can get quite annoying and fatiguing after a while. I feel a slightly dark IEM/headphone would pair better with the Studio. Finding the right balance can turn a nightmare into your dream.

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #2,258 of 7,699
Hello,

I lost one ear tip on my IE 80. I know that custom replacement ear tips exists, but I don't know more.

Could you please give me advices ?

I need ones that could have better isolation, better bass rendering. I use the "normal" ear tips on my IE 80.

Thank you in advance,

Eric

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #2,259 of 7,699

Quote:
Hello,

I lost one ear tip on my IE 80. I know that custom replacement ear tips exists, but I don't know more.

Could you please give me advices ?

I need ones that could have better isolation, better bass rendering. I use the "normal" ear tips on my IE 80.

Thank you in advance,

Eric

Just buy different ear tips from various makers. I opted for JVC large single flanges and V-moda large singles flanges. They are vastly superior to the stock ear pieces IMO and offers a great seal and brings balance to the sound of both my IE80s and FX700s.

http://www.amazon.com/HA-NCX77-Replacement-Silicone-Tips-Large/dp/B003P8XOQ6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1334995544&sr=1-1-catcorr

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Replacement-Silicone-V-MODA-V-moda/dp/B002X866S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334995493&sr=8-1

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #2,260 of 7,699

Quote:

Yeah to give you an idea of what I mean. I get the feeling things are happening down the hall to the side of me. That is how wide the sound stage is with the Studio V. Yet the Vocal presentation is quite intimate without getting invading or irritating. And due to the spaciousness it makes it very easy to pick up details; separation is also amazing. The treble is super clear, there is so much energy and dynamics on the Studio V. Overall the Studio V is quite a neutral sounding DAP which pairs well with the IE80s IMO. It also pairs pretty well with the FX700 but since the FX700 is on the brighter side and the Studio V is on the brighter side it can get quite annoying and fatiguing after a while. I feel a slightly dark IEM/headphone would pair better with the Studio. Finding the right balance can turn a nightmare into your dream.

That studio V sounds like my rockboxed iPod video, except I only paid 30 bucks.
wink_face.gif

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #2,261 of 7,699

Quote:

That studio V sounds like my rockboxed iPod video, except I only paid 30 bucks.
wink_face.gif

No comparison my friend, not even close :wink:. Even the Teclast Sflo2 with dual Wolfson DACs was far superior to my room mates ipod classic and my Studio V crushes that.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #2,262 of 7,699

Quote:

No comparison my friend, not even close :wink:. Even the Teclast Sflo2 with dual Wolfson DACs was far superior to my room mates ipod classic and my Studio V crushes that.

Any change from the sound I have now will be considered a downgrade to my ears.
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #2,265 of 7,699
So I see the Cowon couldn't stand up to your "ipod classic". Too small? I figured more portability was a plus. But I know what you mean though, I like to be able to grip something and feel like I'm not gonna drop it. At least with the Studio V I worry more so about protecting my feet instead of it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back