Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #2,236 of 7,699
I wouldn't say the IE80 is an upgrade over the TF10, more of a sidegrade in my opinion. It's voiced like a HD 650 with even more bass and that's at the lowest bass setting. You get thicker mids, a wider soundstage and more bass quantity in exchange for less speed and rolled off treble. It's not my first choice for your genres, but I prefer it for rap and classical.

It is definitely a big improvement over the TF10 in ergonomics - the stock cable is much softer and the barrel of the IEM is thinner and not as long as the TF10. Stock silicone tips are very comfortable, but have zero isolation. The foams roll off the treble even more, so they're out for me as well. Mine are usually fitted with Sony hybrids or Monster gel supertips.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #2,237 of 7,699

Quote:
hi, am looking to upgrade my triplefi10's to either the mdr ex1000 or the ie80's, but am confused between the two. I listen to trance, vocal and progressive. Thats about it. So which is better suited for trance? bearing in mind i enjoy the triplefi's sound. how does the ex1000 compare to the triplefi's in terms on bass quality and quantity?

And between the ie80 and ex1000 which on is off better value. considering am from the UK and the ie80's are cheaper here at 270quid while the sony's are 280 at amazon. Oh and my source is 4th gen ipod touch with ibasso t5. Any help will be appreciated.

The EX1000 has much better bass quality than the TF10s but lacks the quantity needed for trance or EDM IMO. The vocals are really nice on the EX1000 though. Have you considered the FX700 since you seem to be interested in trance?

The IE80 has more bass quantity and the quality is quite good, not as good as the EX1000. The IE80 treble is superior IMO as it is silky smooth while maintaining extension and being non-fatiguing. The mid range isn't as forward as the EX1000. You are in the third row with the IE80s while the EX1000 give you that "invading" feeling putting you right on stage with the singer.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2,238 of 7,699

Quote:
I wouldn't say the IE80 is an upgrade over the TF10, more of a sidegrade in my opinion. It's voiced like a HD 650 with even more bass and that's at the lowest bass setting. You get thicker mids, a wider soundstage and more bass quantity in exchange for less speed and rolled off treble. It's not my first choice for your genres, but I prefer it for rap and classical.

It is definitely a big improvement over the TF10 in ergonomics - the stock cable is much softer and the barrel of the IEM is thinner and not as long as the TF10. Stock silicone tips are very comfortable, but have zero isolation. The foams roll off the treble even more, so they're out for me as well. Mine are usually fitted with Sony hybrids or Monster gel supertips.

IMO the IE80 is a significant upgrade to the TF10. The TF10s are nice but aren't really that good. I prefer using my Custom TF10s for gaming than music listening. My Silver cabled IE80s are superior to my TF10s in all 3 frequencies. The only thing the TF10 has over it is speed.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,241 of 7,699
thanks for the replies, i did have a look at the fx700, but being in the uk, i cant find a place to buy them other than ebay, which puts me off them. How to the ie80's stack against the triplefi's with out the silver cable?

I also have the pfe122's and use them with black filters and do enjoy them from time to time, any input on how the ex1000 compares to them? And i do apologise for hijacking the thread!

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2,242 of 7,699
Both IE8 and IE80 reproduce a more natural/organic sound than the TF10 in my opinion. I really like the TF10, but prefer the Sennheisers' more romanticized presentation. I still don't consider them a significant upgrade over the TF10. To me, they're more like classmates with different personalities.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #2,244 of 7,699

Quote:
thanks for the replies, i did have a look at the fx700, but being in the uk, i cant find a place to buy them other than ebay, which puts me off them. How to the ie80's stack against the triplefi's with out the silver cable?

I also have the pfe122's and use them with black filters and do enjoy them from time to time, any input on how the ex1000 compares to them? And i do apologise for hijacking the thread!

Ebay shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure you purchase from an authorized dealer and you won't have issues. You can also go to pricejapan and buy directly from them if you are concerned, they are legit.

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #2,245 of 7,699

Quote:

Being sarcastic are we :wink:.

No I don't want to be shown on your block list.
wink_face.gif

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #2,246 of 7,699

Quote:

I've been using a few songs for comparisons, mostly lesser known dj's but still very good nonetheless

just recently stumbled on this song, which is what I was listening to when I made my previous comment about the rumbling bass (24s, 55s):

http://soundcloud.com/russliquid/who-gives-a-where-you-ft-three

for pure sub-bass, I've used this: (noticable off the start, but hits that real low note @ 23 second mark)

http://soundcloud.com/jaspey/stacking

and a for a great all-around bass and my benchmark for 3D soundstage (around 45 second mark)

http://soundcloud.com/goldrush/outkast-take-off-your-cool

I'm still working with different tips as well, so far i'm liking the double flange tips- all s, m, l fits great, but the large ones get a bit uncomfortable after a while

Thanks for sharing! These songs are great, and this makes it even clearer that there's something seriously wrong with the seal on my IE 80s. Not to mention rumbling, I can barely hear the bass at the various times you mentioned.

However when I push the drivers downwards and inwards (so that the wire-connector moves away from my ears), the subbass becomes phenomenal. It's the deepest subbass I have ever felt in an IEM. For what it's worth, the large dual flange tips don't seem large enough. Or it could be that my ear canals are shaped weird and I need a large pair of foam tips. I did get a very good seal with Comply on the PFE132 and Shures on the SE215.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back