Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #1,982 of 7,699

Quote:
Hm, just looking on the site, the J3 DAC is current while it looks like the current version of the iPod 5.5g is the 8759.  Just comparing these two the J3 looks to be superior.  I know that my J3 sounds better than any player I've had before, and the amplifier is unmatched.  Since the DAC handles the amplification as well I'd bet Cowon opted for one of the best low-power dac's while Apple went with a mass-quantity consumer chip.  In fact, I don't even see the 87588g in their archive, Wolfson may have manufactured this chip just for Apple's iPods.

See the pic below with the wolfson model number. It's not 8759.

Note: this pic is not mine. The link is here: http://www.ualberta.ca/~jple/diyMod/guides/models/ipod5g.html

I would think the J3 should have a better version of wolfson since the 5g/5.5 is pretty old already. My iphone 4s sounds decent (non wolfson chip) but I have not played flac's on it to compare. Waiting for rockboxed iphone 4s one day.

With my combo the 3D imaging has been noticeably improved, also the clarity and sound stage. Everything I throw at it gives me that concert hall flavor. Then you play with tweaking the hardware bass and treble - it's for real!

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,983 of 7,699
I didn't say it was 8759, I said the 8759 looks to be the current model of the chip that was in the iPod 5.5 g based on the numbering scheme.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #1,984 of 7,699

Quote:

You can always buy back.
wink_face.gif
  This has totally changed my thinking of getting a backup DAP. I was thinking about getting a Cowon J3 or Sony Z1070. Now I want an ipod 5.5g 80GB.

The IE80 has reached its potential - well at least to my ears with all these stuff. Everything just sounds the way it should be sounding. Dear Lord please let me have more time listening to music.

Pss Pss (Studio V FTW lol).
gs1000.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #1,988 of 7,699

Quote:
Hello
People can you please give me any advice on how to improve my ie80 by cables, tips or even burn in time for them. I'm using them on my iPhone without any amp
Thanks you lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Look up the Silver Galaxy Cable from Zeroshoe. You can haggle him down somewhat on the price as well by making an offer. Theres no point in burning them in. Just use them and they will burn in with usage. After the cable the only way to improve it further is to improve your source (a better DAP and lossless files). The Studio V so far IMO pairs the best with the IE80s.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #1,989 of 7,699

Quote:
Hey have you tried the rockboxed ipod 5g/5.5g? It rocks with the IE80. Forget about the cable and the V.
wink_face.gif

I can tell you the Sflo2/T51 was significantly better than even the ipod 5g with rockbox. Even the imod. And comparing the Studio V to the Sflo2, the Studio V is much better. So taking that into acccount, there is no comparison period :wink:. I'm glad you like your portable rig, just FYI it can get better :wink:.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #1,990 of 7,699

Quote:
I can tell you the Sflo2/T51 was significantly better than even the ipod 5g with rockbox. Even the imod. And comparing the Studio V to the Sflo2, the Studio V is much better. So taking that into acccount, there is no comparison period :wink:. I'm glad you like your portable rig, just FYI it can get better :wink:.

So you have tried all of these including the rockboxed ipod 5g/5.5g with IE8's?

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #1,991 of 7,699

Quote:
So you have tried all of these including the rockboxed ipod 5g/5.5g with IE8's?

Yes I have. My roomate owns one and to be honest I'm not impressed with it at all. More so underwhelmed. Its ok but not that great. I actually find my iphone4 to sound slightly better (especially with equ). The Sflo2 is definitely better than the 5g sound quality wise. That was the only DAP I compared it to but going from memory the Studio V is in a whole other level above any ipod, even heavily modded. The one good thing about the ipod though is it didn't add too much mid bass so it sorta balanced out the IE8s.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #1,992 of 7,699
Look up the Silver Galaxy Cable from Zeroshoe. You can haggle him down somewhat on the price as well by making an offer. Theres no point in burning them in. Just use them and they will burn in with usage. After the cable the only way to improve it further is to improve your source (a better DAP and lossless files). The Studio V so far IMO pairs the best with the IE80s.

Thanks lee ! :) I'll look into them and I'm using AAC apple lossless I buy all my music from apple. Any suggestions on tips mate

Thank you very much

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #1,993 of 7,699
Mar 23, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #1,994 of 7,699
I...actually can't tell much difference between my IE80 and my IE8 (now sold). I love it still, but I just can't tell a real tangible difference...

Mar 23, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #1,995 of 7,699

Quote:
Yes I have. My roomate owns one and to be honest I'm not impressed with it at all. More so underwhelmed. Its ok but not that great. I actually find my iphone4 to sound slightly better (especially with equ). The Sflo2 is definitely better than the 5g sound quality wise. That was the only DAP I compared it to but going from memory the Studio V is in a whole other level above any ipod, even heavily modded. The one good thing about the ipod though is it didn't add too much mid bass so it sorta balanced out the IE8s.

I lost the appetite for the iphone 4s due to the rockboxed ipod 5g. The improved 3d imaging is awesome, plus you can tweak the chip with RB. I love that concert hall feel with the IE80.

I am thinking about replacing the 30GB with a new hard drive (Toshiba MK1634GAL 1.8″ 160G slim HDD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back