Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,831 of 7,699
I own an iPhone 4s and the IE80 with stock cable (for now). I listen to rap/hip hop/R&B/dubstep/electronica. No classical. I have no problem driving the IE80s with the iPhone 4s. Very little hiss if any. I can hear music with good detail with one "volume up" press from no volume.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Are you/anyone here driving thid with an iphone directly?
Is there any perceivable background hiss when connected to the phone and playing music? This can be tested very easily - start music, stop music than listen, if there is a hiss it will be audible for a few seconds, than the iphone will cut the voltage to the headphones because o the music stopped and the hiss if any will disappear.
Also, by using the iphone volume can this be turned down all the way to very quiet listening levels? Something like barely there?
Thanks!!!

Mar 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #1,832 of 7,699

Quote:
I am not a fan of any digitally manipulated EQ's. Not sure how the hardware based EQ is done but I would assume no harm to music quality (it's like the optical zoom of lens).

This reminds me of the HDR images which I can't stand the unrealistic results due to digital manipulations. If I need more dynamic range, I will use the physical GND filters.

HDR can be subtle, you just mostly see tone-mapped pieces of crap.  Most HDR you see would be like pushing the bass part of the EQ way down, the lower mids way up the upper mids down, and the highs way up.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #1,833 of 7,699

Quote:
HDR can be subtle, you just mostly see tone-mapped pieces of crap.  Most HDR you see would be like pushing the bass part of the EQ way down, the lower mids way up the upper mids down, and the highs way up.

Yeah some HDR's are nicely done without showing the unrealistic results. As for EQ's, I prefer none for my music.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #1,834 of 7,699

Quote:
I own an iPhone 4s and the IE80 with stock cable (for now). I listen to rap/hip hop/R&B/dubstep/electronica. No classical. I have no problem driving the IE80s with the iPhone 4s. Very little hiss if any. I can hear music with good detail with one "volume up" press from no volume.

+1.

Do you notice that's actually the lowest you can go and it won't go down any further even you attempt to slide the bar with your finger?

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,835 of 7,699
There's an iPhone trick that i've learned because the Shure 535s i've been using were so loud and i couldn't listen to them on the lowest setting for too long.

So the iPhone has a volume bar, something like from 0% to 100%. 0% is no sound, slide one step up and go to 10% and there's sound, quite plenty of it, not a smooth transition. From there on, 20%... sound increases gradually.

There's a "Settings" - "Music" - "Volume limit" that limits total iPhone output. It defaults to maximum.
If set lower, let's say half, than the volume limit of the iPhone still goes from 0 to 100% but it's not all cut in half.
To extreme, if the volume limit is set to minimum (bar all the way to the left), than the whole range of volume 0% to 100% moves trough only roughly one tenth of the iPhone theoretical volume.

So if one where to want to listen as quietly as possible, than set the volume limit to minimum and volume to 10%. And this was still too loud on the Shures 535... so sensitive they where.

-----------------

That being sad do you find the lowest level on the iPhone not loud and not fatigueing? I am afraid these are also sensitive/loud IEMs and I'll have the same problems as i had with the 535s :frowning2:

Also is the isolation that bad as they say in reviews? I'm afraid of a IEM that is not properly isolated because that just makes you turn the volume up (in the office/street where i do 90% of listening) and i think that is bad for the ears in the long run.

Long story short can't make up my mind between the IE80 (excellent sq, poor isolation they say) and a Shure 425 (better isolation, probably less SQ, hopefully not sharing the hiss/loudness of the 535 because of being less sensitive).
There are also the likes of Westone 4 i've considered, but judging by the sensitivity they'd too need an amp to drive/remove hiss and that would make driving them out of an iPhone impossible.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #1,836 of 7,699
Yeah I forgot the vol limit setting. That will do it.

I use IE80 mostly in office. I actually like this much isolation in my office so I am still able to hear people calling me in close distance. Usually I turn the vol to the lowest possible (with vol limit off) and the max I go is about 30%. Even at 30% vol the IE80 does not cause any fatigue for extended long hrs of music (normally for the whole day in office). You can keep listening for hrs and hrs with these IEM's no problem.

Well I consider the isolation of IE80 is better than my EX600. Isolation is not my main concern for daily use purpose (in office, at home and when driving). Perhaps when I flight I need to get a pair with better isolation.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #1,837 of 7,699

Quote:
I use IE80 mostly in office. I actually like this much isolation in my office so I am still able to hear people calling me in close distance. Usually I turn the vol to the lowest possible (with vol limit off) and the max I go is about 30%. Even at 30% vol the IE80 does not cause any fatigue for extended long hrs of music (normally for the whole day in office). You can keep listening for hrs and hrs with these IEM's no problem.

Well I consider the isolation of IE80 is better than my EX600. Isolation is not my main concern for daily use purpose (in office, at home and when driving). Perhaps when I flight I need to get a pair with better isolation.

I've flew with IEMs and they're not that comfortable to be honest. I'd stick with Bose headphones for long flights. (Not kidding)

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #1,838 of 7,699

Quote:
I've flew with IEMs and they're not that comfortable to be honest. I'd stick with Bose headphones for long flights. (Not kidding)

Why is that? I mean if I can use iem's in office everyday for long hrs. Perhaps you can take off from time to time.

The Bose QC15 is probably one of the best noise canceling phones. But I prefer bringing less for travel, and a few pairs of iem's can be easily put here and there in your luggage or pockets.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #1,839 of 7,699

I think my Custom IEMs will fill that need for total isolation. Generally I won't wear them when I'm out and about though as it can be quite dangerous. Unless I'm sitting stationary, otherwise its a walking death trap lol.
Quote:
Why is that? I mean if I can use iem's in office everyday for long hrs. Perhaps you can take off from time to time.

The Bose QC15 is probably one of the best noise canceling phones. But I prefer bringing less for travel, and a few pairs of iem's can be easily put here and there in your luggage or pockets.

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #1,840 of 7,699

Quote:
I think my Custom IEMs will fill that need for total isolation. Generally I won't wear them when I'm out and about though as it can be quite dangerous. Unless I'm sitting stationary, otherwise its a walking death trap lol.

you already got the custom?

Mar 3, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #1,841 of 7,699
Well my Custom TF10s yes, the Heir 8A will wait a bit but I've already decided to go that route after trying these. They fit really well. Too well to be honest. I'll be sending them back to get them adjusted but after that I feel they will work very well. I really love the isolation they give and the sound is quite nice. I've noticed how well they work for me in Modern Warfare 3. Took my kill death ratios to 4 to 1 lol.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #1,845 of 7,699
Have you used the W4 straight out of an iphone / ipod? Do you use the ipod touch in your signature to drive your iems? Does it have the same dac / amp like the iphone? You are getting no hiss from that?

It's interesting what you say about the w4 being less sensitive; after returning the 535 i ruled it out because it's specs are very much alike shure 535's so i assumed i'd have similar problems with it.
Shure 535 is quoted for Sensitivity (1kHz) 119 dB SPL/mW and Impedance (1kHz) 36 Ω whereas
Westone 4 is quoted for Sensitivity: 118 dB SPL @ 1mW and Impedance: 31 ohms @ 1kHz
They look pretty similar to me... I am missing something out?
Also what's interesting is that the IE8 has no similar sensitivity rating to compare with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back