Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #1,186 of 7,699
Hey today it's a little slow in my office here so I am in the driver seat of the IE80 thread.

When I just received the IE80 one week ago, it was a little slow and rough. That's not the case anymore after one week of use. These bad boys just get better every day with some burn ins. The details are simply amazing when I turn down the sound volume to the lowest possible on my ip4s.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,187 of 7,699
LostID - Seems like you are really enjoying your purchasement.

How do you find the sound separation/imaging of IE80's ? Are you able to point out instrument positions with you eyes closed.
Comparison with UM3x would be ideal.

What other IEMs have you heard & able to compare with ?

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #1,191 of 7,699

Quote:
LostID - Seems like you are really enjoying your purchasement.

How do you find the sound separation/imaging of IE80's ? Are you able to point out instrument positions with you eyes closed.
Comparison with UM3x would be ideal.

What other IEMs have you heard & able to compare with ?

I guess you asked the wrong guy about separation/imaging because I am not technical. But I think I can point out the instrument positions even with eyes wide open.

The only other IEM's I heard is the EX600. Compared with the EX600, the IE80 is more laid back, warmer, neutral, slower, bigger sound stage. They are different animals and I enjoy both. If not for the looks and paint issue with the EX1000, I won't hesitate to upgrade the EX600.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #1,192 of 7,699

Oh I definitely am a basshead. I listen to a lot of hip hop, electronica, dubstep, so there's almost never enough bass. I forgave a lot of the missives my Super Fi 5 EBs had because the bass was nice and meaty. Maybe different tips would help, Any suggestions for aftermarket/third party tips? Can I use the tips from my TF10s? 
Quote:
If you have to push the bass button all the way to the top, you must be a basshead. jkd. No question the IE80 does not lack bass, and the bass at default is just about right for me and I haven't bothered to see the difference by switching the button ( and I may never need to do so). Yes work on the seal and make sure no problem there. Isn't fun just to try the different tips provided by Sennheiser?

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #1,193 of 7,699

Can someone with IE7 provide a comparison so i can better understand the sound signature of IE80 ?

I already have a pair of IE7 & wondering how much better or different the IE80 sounds.
The improvements I would most want from IE80 would be in clarity, sparkle & separation.

I read opinions of some preferring the IE7 sound to IE8's & this makes my decision not so clear especially with some than saying IE80 is marginally  improved over IE8 if not the same (with Equ). 

I really don't want to do a side or a diagonal step in sound improvement from IE7. I really do enjoy the smooth easy going sound signature of the IE7's but its just missing some.

I also have a pair of TF10's & EPH100's. TF10's are to be rid of but will hold onto EPH100 for its fantastic separation, clarity & isolation. I feel it makes up for what i find lacking in the IE7.

I'm in the market for just one more refined upper tier. Ideally to deliver both of what IE7 & EPH100 have to offer in one package. I really don't want to have to have separate IEM's for different music genre. I need to reach the best compromise & live with it. FX700 is also being considered but I'm not keen on importing it or the fact they are quite heavy & would not be suitable for jogging which i might want to do occasionally.

*EDIT*

Getting rid of TF10 because i find its highs too strong & unbearable. Combined with recessed mids & practically non existent separation it felt like music was being straw funnelled into my ears & made me nauseated. Just not for me i guess. The EPH100s are almost perfect just lacking in refinement at times. More deeper sub bass/texture would be nice & some times even its somewhat relaxed trebles can be over sparkly for my ears. Also the over perfect seal with the EPH100's is also proving to be discomforting for some reason??. Can lack of air circulation to ear drums cause pressure discomfort as they only have single tiny vents ?

IE7 in contrast is velvet smooth but seems devoid of detail & separation is weak.  I've discovered my ears are even more sensitive to treble than i thought & that is why i'm considering the IE80's again.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,194 of 7,699

Quote:
Oh I definitely am a basshead. I listen to a lot of hip hop, electronica, dubstep, so there's almost never enough bass. I forgave a lot of the missives my Super Fi 5 EBs had because the bass was nice and meaty. Maybe different tips would help, Any suggestions for aftermarket/third party tips? Can I use the tips from my TF10s? 

Well most of my music are classical. I also listen to some pop and a little new age. The seal is important. From my experience the proper seal will not give you that boomy sound (normally airtight seal) or sound with little bass (loose seal). Sorry I can't recommend any 3rd party tips as I never used any.

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #1,195 of 7,699

Quote:

Can lack of air circulation to ear drums cause pressure discomfort as they only have single tiny vents ?

Yes that's what I believe and also my experience. I also believe the air-tight seal will cause the "boomy" sound.

Jan 25, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #1,196 of 7,699
I'm really, really liking these IEMs.

LOL and it really goes against my tough BAMF attitude to say this, but they seem to be made for ABBA. It's been a while since I last listened to that old band, but I've never heard "Super Trooper" sound this good. LOL Gonna need to try this theory out with the Pro 900 as well 

Edit: 
blink.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #1,197 of 7,699
I guess you asked the wrong guy about separation/imaging because I am not technical. But I think I can point out the instrument positions even with eyes wide open.

The only other IEM's I heard is the EX600. Compared with the EX600, the IE80 is more laid back, warmer, neutral, slower, bigger sound stage. They are different animals and I enjoy both. If not for the looks and paint issue with the EX1000, I won't hesitate to upgrade the EX600.

What is the paint issue w/ex1000?

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #1,199 of 7,699
I no longer own the IE7 as they just never got used while I owned the IE8. The silver cable even made the IE8 better with added treble extension, tighter bass and a more forward midrange. But the IE8 still needed EQ to shine and it's presentation was just too laid back for my taste. 

Now the IE80 is more upfront than the IE8 and doesn't need EQ IMO. The mid range isn't clouded like on the IE8. Mid bass isn't bloated like on IE8 and sub bass is in more quantity and goes deeper. This IEM is definitely more balanced than its predecessor. The sounstage is slightly smaller than IE8 but you get better separation, imaging and detail. Treble is silky smooth, well extended and non fatiguing.

Now compared to the IE7 the strong point of the IE7 is its mid range. It's treble is a bit unrefined and harsh. The soundstage is smaller on the IE7. Bass isn't as controlled or refined when compard to the IE80. I consider the IE80 a clear upgrade to both the IE7/8
Quote:

Can someone with IE7 provide a comparison so i can better understand the sound signature of IE80 ?

I already have a pair of IE7 & wondering how much better or different the IE80 sounds.
The improvements I would most want from IE80 would be in clarity, sparkle & separation.

I read opinions of some preferring the IE7 sound to IE8's & this makes my decision not so clear especially with some than saying IE80 is improved over IE8 if not the same (with Equ). 

I really don't want to do a side or a diagonal step in sound improvement from IE7. I really do enjoy the smooth easy going sound signature of the IE7's but its just missing some.

I also have a pair of TF10's & EPH100's. TF10's are to be rid of but will hold onto EPH100 for its fantastic separation, clarity & isolation. I feel it makes up for what i find lacking in the IE7.

I'm in the market for just one more refined upper tier. Ideally to deliver both of what IE7 & EPH100 have to offer in one package. I really don't want to have to have separate IEM's for different music genre. I need to reach the best compromise & live with it. FX700 is also being considered but I'm not keen on importing it or the fact they are quite heavy & would not be suitable for jogging which i might want to do occasionally.

*EDIT*

Getting rid of TF10 because i find its highs too strong & unbearable. Combined with recessed mids & practically non existent separation it felt like music was being straw funnelled into my ears & made me nauseated. Just not for me i guess. The EPH100s are almost perfect just lacking in refinement at times. More deeper sub bass/texture would be nice & some times even its somewhat relaxed trebles can be over sparkly for my ears. Also the over perfect seal with the EPH100's is also proving to be discomforting for some reason??. Can lack of air circulation to ear drums cause pressure discomfort as they only have single tiny vents ?

IE7 in contrast is velvet smooth but seems devoid of detail & separation is weak.  I've discovered my ears are even more sensitive to treble than i thought & that is why i'm considering the IE80's again.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #1,200 of 7,699

Quote:
lostid, I also have IE80 and wondering how they compare with ex600. And, have you heard ex1000?

Olear since you like in your face treble I'm sure you'll enjoy the EX1000. As long as you aren't sensitive to treble spiked like myself (most arent, lucky bastards lol), you will most likely love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back