Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #7,171 of 7,699
My ie80 right earphone has lost a lot of volume compared to the left which is much louder.I've cleaned them thoroughly.Any ideas?

Did you try soaking the tips in hydrogen peroxide?

I had the same problem and it worked for me. The metal grilles look as if they do a good job but ear wax.is pushed into them when you wear and even clean them. The amount of ear gunk that came out of them was amazing.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #7,174 of 7,699
How did you clean them without getting the liquid into the actual 'phones.Thanks again!

I took a couple of bottle tops, (the size you would get on a bottle of coke) including the one off the peroxide bottle and stood them with the grilles face down immersed in the H2O2. This left the drivers above the liquid. Worked beautifully for me and 24 hours later you could see the dissolved ear wax floating in the liquid. There was a little bit in the left side and a hell of a lot in the right.

I left them to dry By hanging them so the the grilles faced vertically downwards, put them on and it was like a brand new set of iems.

One other thought occurred to me. When was the last time you cleaned your ear canals? My right ear produces lots of wax, exacerbated by using iems. I use food grade H2O2 for this as well. You can hear it fizzing in your ears while it softens and dissolves the wax.

....and one final idea. The tips I was using with my ie80s were wide bore (like Auvios, JVC) and the grilles were quite close to the edge of the tips. When I switched to the Spinfits, not only did the sound improve (for me) but the narrower bores tend to trap the wax before it reaches the grilles.

Good luck with the cleaning process, let us know how you get on.

Apr 23, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #7,175 of 7,699
I took a couple of bottle tops, (the size you would get on a bottle of coke) including the one off the peroxide bottle and stood them with the grilles face down immersed in the H2O2. This left the drivers above the liquid. Worked beautifully for me and 24 hours later you could see the dissolved ear wax floating in the liquid. There was a little bit in the left side and a hell of a lot in the right.

I left them to dry By hanging them so the the grilles faced vertically downwards, put them on and it was like a brand new set of iems.

One other thought occurred to me. When was the last time you cleaned your ear canals? My right ear produces lots of wax, exacerbated by using iems. I use food grade H2O2 for this as well. You can hear it fizzing in your ears while it softens and dissolves the wax.

....and one final idea. The tips I was using with my ie80s were wide bore (like Auvios, JVC) and the grilles were quite close to the edge of the tips. When I switched to the Spinfits, not only did the sound improve (for me) but the narrower bores tend to trap the wax before it reaches the grilles.

Dude do not put that stuff inside your ears buddy. Its not recommended. Use over the counter stuf instead

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #7,176 of 7,699

Genius! I'll try it out this week and let you know how I get on.Thanks!

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #7,177 of 7,699
  Dude do not put that stuff inside your ears buddy. Its not recommended. Use over the counter stuf instead

I'm talking about food grade 3%/6% hydrogen peroxide which is recommended for all sorts of bodily functions including cleaning your teeth. The H2O2 breaks down as it interacts with whatever it comesin contact with and is neutralised by the time the process is finished - about 2 minutes. It's one oxygen atom short of being water and this is what it becomes after interacting with other substances.

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #7,178 of 7,699
Hey. I own a pair of the Wicked PUR800 which I paid $46 for back in 2011. I recently bought a Motorola Moto X Pure Edition smartphone and to my ears it has great quality audio for a phone. Trying out advanced players such as Neutron has led to me thinking perhaps it's time to upgrade my earbuds as it might be holding back the sound. I was wondering if you guys think I'll hear the upgrade if I pick up a pair of IE80s? I normally prefer a warm sound (see my main gear) but I noticed the phone seems to be too dark and bass heavy. Anything that can brighten the sound and give air would be welcome. Would the IE80s be a good choice or are there any comparable alternatives for more or less money? Note that I need something comfy because the PUR are hurting my inner ears a lot and I can't take it anymore. I know a bit about full-size 'phones but am clueless on IEMs so any help would be great. Thanks.

Apr 25, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #7,179 of 7,699
Hey. I own a pair of the Wicked PUR800 which I paid $46 for back in 2011. I recently bought a Motorola Moto X Pure Edition smartphone and to my ears it has great quality audio for a phone. Trying out advanced players such as Neutron has led to me thinking perhaps it's time to upgrade my earbuds as it might be holding back the sound. I was wondering if you guys think I'll hear the upgrade if I pick up a pair of IE80s? I normally prefer a warm sound (see my main gear) but I noticed the phone seems to be too dark and bass heavy. Anything that can brighten the sound and give air would be welcome. Would the IE80s be a good choice or are there any comparable alternatives for more or less money? Note that I need something comfy because the PUR are hurting my inner ears a lot and I can't take it anymore. I know a bit about full-size 'phones but am clueless on IEMs so any help would be great. Thanks.

The IE80 is the best in ear in it's price bracket and way beyond. It pairs perfectly with Apple and FiiO gear, don't about your phone, but it is a good investment if you decide the possibility of other phones/players

Users who are viewing this thread

Back