Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #6,436 of 7,699

I still don't know how much in decibels that is (my X3 ~60 volume, low gain + IE80). I've tried to lower volume but since isolation on IE80 isn't brilliant (not so bad but not like on the Shures, Westones, Etymothics etc.) and I use it a lot on the go in the city, I really find it hard to enjoy music unless it's loud enough... to make me feel it and enjoy it. 

On Nexus 5 I always had 80-90% volume, depending on the song itself and situation.
With HTC One X it was similar situation (~80-90%).
On FiiO X3 ~60 (out of 120, with low gain, which is still similar like 80-90% smartphones). 
This is when I'm outside (~2-4 hours a day), when I'm at home I listen usually to a slightly lower volume (~45-55 on X3, unlike ~60 when I'm outside).

Anyone had the same/similar setup? How much you do crank up the volume? 

I can help you.

With X5 i was using ie80 with 35-49-56-63 volume where 63 was the max volume I was using. This was after I got into listening at low volumes. When I was into loud (LOUD
basshead.gif
) listening, I would go until 84-91 volume on X5. Your X3 gives similar volume with ie8, as I tested. 

You should be perfectly fine. 

Under 35 volume in quite envoirments, I seemed to loose some of the sound. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #6,437 of 7,699
  I can help you.

With X5 i was using ie80 with 35-49-56-63 volume where 63 was the max volume I was using. This was after I got into listening at low volumes. When I was into loud (LOUD
basshead.gif
) listening, I would go until 84-91 volume on X5. Your X3 gives similar volume with ie8, as I tested. 

You should be perfectly fine. 

Under 35 volume in quite envoirments, I seemed to loose some of the sound. 

Thanks a lot that helps! Yeah it's very similar volume (or the same, didn't use that ab switch) with the two as I tested also when I was buying X3. 84-91... I'm not even sure I could bare that! With classical music and some jazz I go up to 70, because those are usually mastered well and not with "loudness". I even set max volume limit to 70 just in case I mistakenly press more.
Still I use it 2-4h a day at ~60 which isn't a small amount of time. Still your comment makes my mind more at ease.

Any other info from people how loud they listen to their devices with IE80 is very welcome! Still it's very sensitive IEM that doesn't need too much power to sound very loud 

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #6,438 of 7,699
  Thanks a lot that helps! Yeah it's very similar volume (or the same, didn't use that ab switch) with the two as I tested also when I was buying X3. 84-91... I'm not even sure I could bare that! With classical music and some jazz I go up to 70, because those are usually mastered well and not with "loudness". I even set max volume limit to 70 just in case I mistakenly press more.
Still I use it 2-4h a day at ~60 which isn't a small amount of time. Still your comment makes my mind more at ease.

Any other info from people how loud they listen to their devices with IE80 is very welcome! Still it's very sensitive IEM that doesn't need too much power to sound very loud 

I test when I buy down to the level of what is barely beareable, because this way I can avoid level mis-match. But for listening I would recommend listening at low levels. For ie8 in particular, around 49-54 is the best volume to conserve most of the audible range, and not be loud. If I go more quiet, very quiet passages or instruments become less obvious, and too hard to hear for my tastes.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #6,439 of 7,699

I still don't know how much in decibels that is (my X3 ~60 volume, low gain + IE80). I've tried to lower volume but since isolation on IE80 isn't brilliant (not so bad but not like on the Shures, Westones, Etymothics etc.) and I use it a lot on the go in the city, I really find it hard to enjoy music unless it's loud enough... to make me feel it and enjoy it. 

On Nexus 5 I always had 80-90% volume, depending on the song itself and situation.
On FiiO X3 ~60 (out of 120, with low gain, which is still similar like 80-90% smartphones). 
This is when I'm outside (~2-4 hours a day), when I'm at home I listen usually to a slightly lower volume (~45-55 on X3, unlike ~60 when I'm outside).

I used IE80 with the old X3. Usually volume between 60-70 (low gain).
I think that is absolutely fine for 4-5-6 hours.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #6,440 of 7,699

I used IE80 with the old X3. Usually volume between 60-70 (low gain).
I think that is absolutely fine for 4-5-6 hours.

On 70 and low gain it is too loud to be safe for 6 hours continous. 

When I say that I am using the average on x5 on volume 54, I am using low gain, and EQ engaged, with all sliders turned all the way down, except for the last two, for treble. So, in the end, I get an even much lower volume, by which I get more detail and treble, but 70, with no EQ and low gain is too loud to be safe for a long period of time. 

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #6,441 of 7,699
  On 70 and low gain it is too loud to be safe for 6 hours continous. 

When I say that I am using the average on x5 on volume 54, I am using low gain, and EQ engaged, with all sliders turned all the way down, except for the last two, for treble. So, in the end, I get an even much lower volume, by which I get more detail and treble, but 70, with no EQ and low gain is too loud to be safe for a long period of time. 

At 70 it was maybe just 1-2 hrs sometimes...
I do not remember clearly, as I sold my 1st gen X3 a long time ago...

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #6,444 of 7,699
Heyya guys. I just received the IE 80's in ears today from Amazon. I'm really happy with them and I love the bass. Sadly, I feel like the ear tips aren't sitting well with my ears (Except the big foam ones (Hope it's called foam..), although could be better too). I also think that they don't bring out the best of the IE 80's.

Any suggestions? This question might have been asked a million times probably. But I'm not sure where to start with my research. So I hope you guys can help me out.

Jun 15, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #6,445 of 7,699
  Heyya guys. I just received the IE 80's in ears today from Amazon. I'm really happy with them and I love the bass. Sadly, I feel like the ear tips aren't sitting well with my ears (Except the big foam ones (Hope it's called foam..), although could be better too). I also think that they don't bring out the best of the IE 80's.

Any suggestions? This question might have been asked a million times probably. But I'm not sure where to start with my research. So I hope you guys can help me out.

Yea, finding the tips that give you the best seal can take some time. The best stock tips for me are the large (single-flange) tips with a shallow insertion. The large double-flange tips are okay too. 

I'm not sure if you have other IEMs, but if you do, be sure to try tips that came with those IEMs too. 

Also, don't be afraid to experiment. For example, I took a cheap tip I had and cut the stem off then put it inside the large stock tip. The large stock tip alone is good, but I get a much better seal with the other tip inside.

I also tried putting a piece of foam tips inside for a little while but the foam started to wear out and break :p
http://www.head-fi.org/t/569527/sennheiser-ie80s-impressions-thread/6090#post_11476493

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #6,446 of 7,699

One of the best tips for IE80's (or any other IEM with a large nozzle) is the JVC Spiral Dot. Extremely comfortable, superior sound, fabulously reviewed here at HeadFi.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #6,449 of 7,699

I wouldnt worry about it, if anythings gonna hurt your hearing its somwthing harsh and mid heavy like shures, low frequencies wont hurt your ears the same way.

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,450 of 7,699

One of the best tips for IE80's (or any other IEM with a large nozzle) is the JVC Spiral Dot. Extremely comfortable, superior sound, fabulously reviewed here at HeadFi.

Thank you for the tip!

What size should I buy? I'm not sure... I think L might the best size for me, but... 

Also, the Item takes 14 days to be delivered to Germany.. Gotta look for other pages to see if they are available elsewhere.

Edit: Wait... It takes over a month (Stated in the description in Ebay)... Gosh. Any other suggestions? :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back