Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #6,422 of 7,699
Again, just my opinion, but why would you trust the seller a second time? Get a refund and then buy them from an authorized dealer and be done with it. In the event, that you later need warranty service, you won't have any issues for 2 years.

+1

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #6,423 of 7,699
All original ones are on minimum. 
yeah, after first post i realized i didnt know whar was max or min at first, so i played around with it and listened and then left ir onmax by chance

Btw 3 days ago i bought the shure se535's because i got tired of how soft the ie80's are. Both are good, but extremely different in pretty much all ways

Jun 13, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #6,424 of 7,699
yeah, after first post i realized i didnt know whar was max or min at first, so i played around with it and listened and then left ir onmax by chance

Btw 3 days ago i bought the shure se535's because i got tired of how soft the ie80's are. Both are good, but extremely different in pretty much all ways

Yeah, Ie80 is like a bassy, powerfull, organic, strong, forgiving and smooth IEM. With recessed voices, lots of soundstage and a clear sound, where Se535 I take that is a very forward IEM.

Jun 13, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #6,425 of 7,699

Same here with both.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #6,426 of 7,699
One thing i've noticed with the ie80's is that i have to crank up the volume quite loud to get that "wow"factor. At lower volumes all the bad things people say about them are true. They sound veiled, vocals sound like they are far away, bass isnt good, no good soundstage. If i listen to them on low-medium volume for a few days i start questioning them, how could i think they were so amazing at one point? Then i turn up the volume to the right level, and holy cow are they fun to listen to. i can listen to pretty much any music and i will enjoy it, they are just so fun. The soundstage and bass that people talk about comes out, and the vocals and mids sound good at the same time.
If people would ask me which one to buy, probably 90-95% would enjoy the ie80's a lot more, especially people who are closer to normal consumers than audiophiles.

Also a sidenote, the wax filter on my ie80's get clogged up pretty quickly, this completely destroys the sound. So if anyone notices that one side has lower volume and the highs and mid sound low and crappy it could be because of this, so they have to be cleaned so air can pass through the wax guard easily.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #6,427 of 7,699
One thing i've noticed with the ie80's is that i have to crank up the volume quite loud to get that "wow"factor. At lower volumes all the bad things people say about them are true. They sound veiled, vocals sound like they are far away, bass isnt good, no good soundstage. If i listen to them on low-medium volume for a few days i start questioning them, how could i think they were so amazing at one point? Then i turn up the volume to the right level, and holy cow are they fun to listen to. i can listen to pretty much any music and i will enjoy it, they are just so fun. The soundstage and bass that people talk about comes out, and the vocals and mids sound good at the same time.
If people would ask me which one to buy, probably 90-95% would enjoy the ie80's a lot more, especially people who are closer to normal consumers than audiophiles.

Also a sidenote, the wax filter on my ie80's get clogged up pretty quickly, this completely destroys the sound. So if anyone notices that one side has lower volume and the highs and mid sound low and crappy it could be because of this, so they have to be cleaned so air can pass through the wax guard easily.

The wax is probably being produced by your ears in an attempt to protect themselves from the excessive volume.
Look after your ears. Don't listen loud.
Take it from a Tinnitus sufferer.

Jun 13, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #6,428 of 7,699
The wax is probably being produced by your ears in an attempt to protect themselves from the excessive volume.

I second this. Protecting your hearing should always be your first priority, Else, you will regret it for quite a while. 

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #6,429 of 7,699
I second this. Protecting your hearing should always be your first priority, Else, you will regret it for quite a while. 

I will regret not taking care of my hearing for the rest of my days. The damage is irreversible.

Jun 13, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #6,430 of 7,699
I will regret not taking care of my hearing for the rest of my days. The damage is irreversible.

Some say tinnitus can go even after 1-2 years..

But indeed you need to be careful.
Bright and harsh sound, especially treble can do the damage.
If anyone experiences a slightly harmful sound, please decrease the volume by 20-30%...

At a point after changing some audio gear I had a much brighter sound. But I was using the same volume, as I did with my older, darker and warmer gear... And it gave me tinnitus for 2-3 months...
 I am lucky it is gone now...
But you really need to be aware of the volume. (And sound signature. Dark/Bright)
The thing is, if something slightly bothers you in the sound (too sharp or bright) please lower the volume... :)

Jun 14, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #6,432 of 7,699

wax is also produced for other reasons.

Also, the ie80's don play very loud compared to my shure 535's, i have to run the shures way lower and they feel like the volume is higher. I assume this is because the shures are high in the mids, with the ie80's the low freq are the most powerful, and you have to turn the volume up to get the mids to a normal level.

Also i agree, damaging the hearing would suck, i worry a lot cus i've been listening to iems for several hours almost daily for 10 years. Havent noticed anything yet, except maybe overall worse hearing. Gonna try to get my hearing tested at the same time as i get my molds for custom iems.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #6,433 of 7,699
How do you know what is loud and what's not? On my FiiO X3 i play music on ~60 volume (out of 120) with low gain and one friend said it's way too low volume he can't hear a thing and other said it's way too loud. On smartphones like One X and Nexus 5 I used around 80-90% volume with IE80. 
What is loud and what can damage hearing? How to determine it?

Jun 15, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #6,434 of 7,699
If your ears are ringing a little bit after listening to music, it was way too loud. :)
Time to time it is worth to try to lower the volume with 20% percent for 10 minutes and see if that volume is enough. Cause many times it is loud enough, our brain just gets used to a certain level of volume.
Here is a little help what I have stolen from the HD600 thread:

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #6,435 of 7,699
  If your ears are ringing a little bit after listening to music, it was way too loud. :)
Time to time it is worth to try to lower the volume with 20% percent for 10 minutes and see if that volume is enough. Cause many times it is loud enough, our brain just gets used to a certain level of volume.
Here is a little help what I have stolen from the HD600 thread:

I still don't know how much in decibels that is (my X3 ~60 volume, low gain + IE80). I've tried to lower volume but since isolation on IE80 isn't brilliant (not so bad but not like on the Shures, Westones, Etymothics etc.) and I use it a lot on the go in the city, I really find it hard to enjoy music unless it's loud enough... to make me feel it and enjoy it. 

On Nexus 5 I always had 80-90% volume, depending on the song itself and situation.
With HTC One X it was similar situation (~80-90%).
On FiiO X3 ~60 (out of 120, with low gain, which is still similar like 80-90% smartphones). 
This is when I'm outside (~2-4 hours a day), when I'm at home I listen usually to a slightly lower volume (~45-55 on X3, unlike ~60 when I'm outside).

Anyone had the same/similar setup? How much you do crank up the volume? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back