Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #6,001 of 7,699
If you keep the DAP inter top pocket of a jacket as I do. The cable would be bent at 90° with a straight jack. Not good.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #6,002 of 7,699
When the phone is in my pocket (jeans) the connector and cable is always bent π/2 rad. And when I move my legs the connector is susceptible to movement to a position where it is not "connected well". I-shaped connector is the only way for me as it seems. I just hope Sennheiser would hear my pain and make one for IE80s.

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #6,003 of 7,699
  When the phone is in my pocket (jeans) the connector and cable is always bent π/2 rad. And when I move my legs the connector is susceptible to movement to a position where it is not "connected well". I-shaped connector is the only way for me as it seems. I just hope Sennheiser would hear my pain and make one for IE80s.

There are many aftermarket cables (as cheap as 20$) with straight connector, but generally a lot of people prefer L shaped due to stability in player so it will never plug out from player while in pocket or while falling, it saved my FiiO from crashing on iron weights several times (I shaped would just plug out and my player would crash hard, while L shaped stayed inside and used cable as bungee), and cable of 20-30$ is cheaper than 200$ player so it was a good situation for me :)
Also some players (tho it's rare nowadays) have jack on the side, so L shaped is the only option and when you operate with player/smartphone and cable is under your shirt it's very nice to have L shaped plug since cable will not bend too much if the headphone out is on top of the player or smartphone, since the connector itself is already bent for 90 degrees by default, so no stress on the cables there. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #6,004 of 7,699
Hi to all Senn ie80 users here. I just want to ask if turning the "bass knobs" will result a big noticeable change on bass sound?

I just bought a second hand unit and can't notice that much change or almost nothing. I am using iBasso dx50 as a source and all my music files are 320kbps..

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #6,006 of 7,699
Hi to all Senn ie80 users here. I just want to ask if turning the "bass knobs" will result a big noticeable change on bass sound?

I just bought a second hand unit and can't notice that much change or almost nothing. I am using iBasso dx50 as a source and all my music files are 320kbps..

Depends how good you hear and how old are you, older you get more sensitive you are to bass (that's why most young people are bassheads and most older listeners like more mid and treble oriented gear).

Difference isn't that huge at all but it is noticeable, mostly in sub bass (but it bleeds in a bit into mid bass which makes lower mids slightly less clear, at least that is the case with my experience), try to turn all the way knob on one earpiece while leaving other on minimum and see if it sound strange, from what I've heard fakes don't have bass adjustment working (maybe there are some fakes that do work tho)... 

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #6,007 of 7,699
Bass knob lets the driver breathe better, so it is louder (and boomier) You should be able to hear a difference. With fakes, usually there isn't a porting mechanism connected to the driver.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #6,008 of 7,699
Depends how good you hear and how old are you, older you get more sensitive you are to bass (that's why most young people are bassheads and most older listeners like more mid and treble oriented gear).

Difference isn't that huge at all but it is noticeable, mostly in sub bass (but it bleeds in a bit into mid bass which makes lower mids slightly less clear, at least that is the case with my experience), try to turn all the way knob on one earpiece while leaving other on minimum and see if it sound strange, from what I've heard fakes don't have bass adjustment working (maybe there are some fakes that do work tho)... 

Well, I am 21 yrs old and a treble head. I do have Senn momentum over-ear tho which I believe has a good bass impact. I am using this Senn ie80 to the lowest bass level and really blows my mind giving a huge bass but leaving the mids smooth. The reason I can think of why I can't hear the difference is maybe my ears are not use to deep bass yet.
But thanks for your input, at least I know now that the change in bass is not like changing day into night.. :wink:

About the authenticity of the unit, can you post a macro pic of your unit here if you don't mind so I can compare? I bought it without the box so I can only compare the box and the driver units.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #6,009 of 7,699
Well, I am 21 yrs old and a treble head. I do have Senn momentum over-ear tho which I believe has a good bass impact. I am using this Senn ie80 to the lowest bass level and really blows my mind giving a huge bass but leaving the mids smooth. The reason I can think of why I can't hear the difference is maybe my ears are not use to deep bass yet.
But thanks for your input, at least I know now that the change in bass is not like changing day into night..
wink.gif

About the authenticity of the unit, can you post a macro pic of your unit here if you don't mind so I can compare? I bought it without the box so I can only compare the box and the driver units.

Well while the difference isn't like you got all new earphone it should be noticeable, especially in the lowest end...
I can take a pic later in the evening since I don't have any camera or phone near me atm, but fakes and original are REALLY similar in looks, so that wouldn't help at all. You can check on YouTube several videos where people explain the differences between some fakes and genuine.
Most fakes don't have laser logo engraving on earpieces (that small Sennheiser logo, you should be able to feel it's not on the same level as aluminum surface, so hover with your finger over it to feel if it is engraved), also that cable splitter where it is written IE80 should be a bit curved and soft, it should have some "silicone" protection over IE80 writing, tho some fakes have it as well. 
And the last thing is to keep trying if the bass knob works, try to ask someone to try it out too, just in case only you can't get much difference 

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #6,011 of 7,699
With regards to bass, I found the seals and the choice of the tips to be very important.

It is essential.
Many people think they have a good seal, and complaining about IE80's **** sound...
I thought, I have a good seal with my comply foam tips. But sound improved a lot with my custom tips.
IE80 is an extremely sensitive IEM concerning perfect seal...
The difference between 90% good seal and 100% custom seal is heaven and earth...
(All the factory tips can provide maybe 50-60% in my personal experience...)

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #6,012 of 7,699

It is essential.
Many people think they have a good seal, and complaining about IE80's **** sound...
I thought, I have a good seal with my comply foam tips. But sound improved a lot with my custom tips.
The difference between 90% good seal and 100% custom seal is heaven and earth...

In my experience better the seal = more mid bass bloat and more bass overall (which affects mids in case of IE80) so I chose silicone tips rather than better sealing foam ones. My friend spent 4500 din (~40-45 euros) for custom tips and put them away because of that bloat and rumble in head. But we all like different things :)

Anyways I agree with you that with better seal bass knob change should be certainly more noticeable than the bad seal, since the bass is affected by the seal more so than higher frequencies.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #6,013 of 7,699
In my experience better the seal = more mid bass bloat and more bass overall (which affects mids in case of IE80) so I chose silicone tips rather than better sealing foam ones. My friend spent 4500 din (~40-45 euros) for custom tips and put them away because of that bloat and rumble in head. But we all like different things :)

I think you are right about a better seal exacerbating the bloat. That's where EQ comes in IMHO.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #6,014 of 7,699

Anyways I agree with you that with better seal bass knob change should be certainly more noticeable than the bad seal, since the bass is affected by the seal more so than higher frequencies.

I have experienced a noticeable improvement with custom tips after comply foam tips. And immediately turned bass knob to the minimum...

Feb 28, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #6,015 of 7,699
It is essential.

Interesting. I found I got a poor seal with complies, the same ones I use with different IEMs and get a good seal with. I switched to JVC spiral silicon tips and I get a better seal and thus more bass. I beginning to think not all ears are alike! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back