Sennheiser IE80's Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #5,539 of 7,699
Why should you compare in ears with on and or over ears? They are really great on their own merits, listen for example to "imaginary Cuba" from Bill Laswell and you will be excited on what they can do. The IE80 sounds even better than the Momentum in my humble opinion if you like to compare. The best IEM for the money ( and beyond) right now as you can buy them for 185 Euro by Amazon Germany.

If requested I can make this comparison for sign signature matching. I think Sylaw ask for Amperior-ie80 comparison some posts ago...

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #5,544 of 7,699
My IE800's have blown a driver so Im back to using my IE80's after gathering dust for 18 months.

I used to have a silver cable i bought off ebay (Silver Galaxy i think ) for the IE80 but main issue was the connections to the ear pieces were sloppy and they kept falling off- the cable eventually broke so I am looking to buy a quality after market cable to replace it.

Any recommendations on a well made good SQ cable would be appreciated

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #5,546 of 7,699
still figuring that out - only 18months old but lost the invoice - regardless of warranty or not it will probably take a month or 2 to get repaired/replaced and cant do without some IEMs in the meantime

Hoping to buy an aftermarket cable off the shelf so I can get it asap - i always found the original cable a bit harsh and that silver galaxy cable smoothed out the sound very nicely - just poorly made thats all

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #5,547 of 7,699
Well I just got the cables I mentioned few pages back from amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/CrownTrade%C2%AE-Replacement-Sennheiser-Headphones-Dispatch/dp/B00J1BOSBG/). So far the connectors seem to fit perfectly, cables seem good themselves, and I personally love the I-shaped connector over L-shaped, even though it is tad long (~2cm after jack has been inserted). Also, it seems to me that bass is more prevalent (which I don't mind at all), but that might just be expectancy and confirmation bias playing tricks. In any case sound quality remains stellar. Great buy for £30 since the retailer wanted 50€ for the stock cables which are very prone to break for some reason in my use.

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #5,548 of 7,699
Silver and silver plated copper cables are note the same.
Silver cable cost almost the price of the IE80. Silver plated copper cables range from 20-50% of the IE80's price. 

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #5,549 of 7,699
Well I just got the cables I mentioned few pages back from amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/CrownTrade%C2%AE-Replacement-Sennheiser-Headphones-Dispatch/dp/B00J1BOSBG/). So far the connectors seem to fit perfectly, cables seem good themselves, and I personally love the I-shaped connector over L-shaped, even though it is tad long (~2cm after jack has been inserted). Also, it seems to me that bass is more prevalent (which I don't mind at all), but that might just be expectancy and confirmation bias playing tricks. In any case sound quality remains stellar. Great buy for £30 since the retailer wanted 50€ for the stock cables which are very prone to break for some reason in my use.

thats a damn good price for that cable - thanks for the recommendation

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #5,550 of 7,699
Banged up the cable of my Fidelio S2's pretty bad yesterday, and now I might have to look for a pair of new iems. I read in an another thread that IE80's are on par with Momentums, which I own and like very much. If this is the case I would be very interested in these iems.
My goal is to have one pair of headphones for home-use, and a pair of iems for travelling and out-and-about usage. Originally I was planning to get IE800's at some point in the future, but lack of replaceable cable seems daunting after yesterday's incident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back