Sennheiser IE800 vs. Shure SE846: Which one is superior in terms of price?
Mar 13, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #34 of 135
  Are you listening amped or unamped?   Which seems more efficient?

Is either one "better" if you are going unamped?

The SE846 is so efficient, I thought it got "worse" amped.  I thought the IE800 got better amped, but I usually listen unamped.  Feature-wise, I think the SE846 is superior, SQ-wise it's a matter of personal taste.  I like them both but (especially per $) would give the nod to the SE846

Mar 22, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #35 of 135
  The SE846 is so efficient, I thought it got "worse" amped.  I thought the IE100 got better amped, but I usually listen unamped.  Feature-wise, I think the SE846 is superior, SQ-wise it's a matter of personal taste.  I like them both but (especially per $) would give the nod to the SE846

Which IEM has bigger soundstage, though?

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #39 of 135
The HD800 being over-ear will definitely have a larger soundstage. Can't comment on IE800 or SE846 though.

Apr 5, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #40 of 135
I think the mid of ie800 is not satisfied .. Hope to listen to se846

That's strange, I didn't find the mids recessed at all.  In fact, I found the lows, mids, highs all balanced throughout the spectrum, although I found the treble a little intense.

The HD800 being over-ear will definitely have a larger soundstage. Can't comment on IE800 or SE846 though.

I can say that based on my experience, I found the IE800 to have the largest soundstage that I've ever found in an IEM.  It pretty much completely blew my IE80s out of the water in soundstage.  However, while you can't comment on the IE800, I can't comment on the HD800. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #41 of 135
But I believe the instrument performance in IE800 is much better than the human voice performance,I love to listen to the human vocal sound in a song.The most important thing is that the cable of IE800 is not suitable to listen when I am walking..

Apr 8, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #42 of 135
  But I believe the instrument performance in IE800 is much better than the human voice performance,I love to listen to the human vocal sound in a song.The most important thing is that the cable of IE800 is not suitable to listen when I am walking..

Based on my experience, I found everything throughout the sound spectrum to be balanced, so I don't think I noticed any difference in performance between the vocals and the instruments.  Well, probably because I used an EQ...

At the same time, wrapping the cable around my ear really helped me get rid of the microphonics.  It may be an issue though, because the cable might feel shorter for some people.

May 4, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #44 of 135
I don't know if this helps, but here are some impedance graphs showing BA vs dynamics.  Middle one, XBA-H3 is hybrid.

ie800, dynamic driver

Well, it looks like it's pretty common with dynamic drivers. except the Sony XBA-H3, which is hybrid I believe.

SE846, BA driver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back