Sennheiser IE800 vs. Shure SE846: Which one is superior in terms of price?
Mar 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #16 of 135
  Sorry if I missed this but do the Senns not require burn in?  They are a dynamic driver right?

It seems in previous Senn offerings 60% of the posts were about burn in and sound changing/improving.  I haven't read everything about IE800 but I have seen little to nothing about burn in.

The Sennheiser IE800 happens to be the only IEM with a dynamic driver as of now, I believe.  Also, I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not, but I did a burn-in of about 12 hours and the sound quality seemed slightly more dynamic.  I really don't know if it was just me, but if it is, it could be that the IE800 doesn't require burn-in, and that it's just a placebo effect.  However, I think I did notice a slight difference in sound quality after a 12 hour burn-in period.

But like I said, the IE800 could either have better sound after a burn-in period, or it could just be a placebo effect.  Who knows....

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #17 of 135
I have spent a week with my mate IE800 and it is a great sounding earphone but I was left slightly underwelmed considering its price and the cable microphonic was just too much. I am a bashead but even the IE800 was over the top for me. The Shure is lot cleaner and reach lower.
I  bought the Shure and it has everything I want and more. To be honest, I have very rarely been so impressed by a headphone/ earphone.

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #18 of 135
  I have spent a week with my mate IE800 and it is a great sounding earphone but I was left slightly underwelmed considering its price and the cable microphonic was just too much. I am a bashead but even the IE800 was over the top for me. The Shure is lot cleaner and reach lower.
I  bought the Shure and it has everything I want and more. To be honest, I have very rarely been so impressed by a headphone/ earphone.

It's nice when you buy a headphone that you're satisfied with. It's only happened to me three times, Shure SE846, ShureSRH940 and Sennheiser HD800.

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 135

No. Already shipped back (I could have used it for another 29 days but I didn't see the point). But I heard the IE800 has holes in it designed to equalize the air pressure between the inside and outside of your ears so I'm not sure you can fix the isolation. I tried putting my finger on those holes, but it really altered the sound so e.g. taping the holes up isn't an option.

Glad you got rid of the microphonics noise. With the SE846, if you let it hang behind your head you hear virtually zero chord noise (I do, however, hear the slight thump of my feet hitting the ground, odd that it travels up through your body like that).

BTW, I forgot to ask you about something.  What are the main things that you hated about the Sennheiser IE800?

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #23 of 135
How does plastic peel off?  Do you have a pic?

Do you mean the decal/lettering?  Man....you must be rough on them.
[/quote

BRO I just realized something , I peeled the plastic off it's not supposed to be there and underneath that is a really really sturdy feeling nozzle. It's plastic except really hard. I've had two pairs of westone 4r and didn't know that the plastic part comes off if you pull it from the bottom. Got it! Thank for replying :). Btw I take really good care of them. :)

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #24 of 135
lol. before going out to exercise today, I listened to my HD800 for like 3 hours. When I put the SE846 on to continue where I left off, it sounded like crap. It took a while for my ears to get used to the downgraded sound.

IEMs will never beat full sized headphones.

Mar 10, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #25 of 135
lol. before going out to exercise today, I listened to my HD800 for like 3 hours. When I put the SE846 on to continue where I left off, it sounded like crap. It took a while for my ears to get used to the downgraded sound.

HEY! That's true but headphones can be too big at times when you want to carry them around at school , working out , or playing running. Headphones don't match that. Do any of you guys prefer VMODA-M100? the reviews are glorious however some people say they are bad.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #26 of 135

How did the soundstage of the HD800, the SE846, and the IE800 compare to each other?

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #27 of 135

I assume you listened to your HD800 on a $1000 DAC + AMP setup? Did you listened to your Shure SE846 also on a $1000 DAC + AMP or just from your iPhone?

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #28 of 135
I assume you listened to your HD800 on a $1000 DAC + AMP setup? Did you listened to your Shure SE846 also on a $1000 DAC + AMP or just from your iPhone?

I'm pretty sure the Shure se846 will perform Mediocre on an iphone .
With a $300 amp it should sound perfect to it's potential. IMO you don't need a $1000 amp for the shure 846.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #29 of 135

I listened on a variety of things and the conclusion holds regardless of the source. In my opinion a full sized headphone sounds much, much, much better than an IEM. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back