Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Mar 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #976 of 7,998
Hey man, I will be the first to say that 1000+ is very reasonae for an 8 BA driver iem or Ciem, because the costs are totally understandable. In the case of Ie800, the only explanation is that maybe if this took five years of R&D to develop, I would condone the price. But I am doubting this took longer than 1.5 years of R&D, and it is after all just one dynamic driver, no crossovers, nothing fancy.

the other thing that bugs me about this is the replacable cable disconnect. I would maybe consider buying these if it had a regular UE style detachable cables, but as it stands, there is no way I would risk buying these, because I use IEMs at my construction job and wear a tool belt, and I doubt the strain relief would last long on mine. Oh well, it's an improvement over the Akg 3003, with no detachable cable at all.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #977 of 7,998
Hey man, I will be the first to say that 1000+ is very reasonae for an 8 BA driver iem or Ciem, because the costs are totally understandable. In the case of Ie800, the only explanation is that maybe if this took five years of R&D to develop, I would condone the price. But I am doubting this took longer than 1.5 years of R&D, and it is after all just one dynamic driver, no crossovers, nothing fancy.

the other thing that bugs me about this is the replacable cable disconnect. I would maybe consider buying these if it had a regular UE style detachable cables, but as it stands, there is no way I would risk buying these, because I use IEMs at my construction job and wear a tool belt, and I doubt the strain relief would last long on mine. Oh well, it's an improvement over the Akg 3003, with no detachable cable at all.

Mar 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #978 of 7,998
There is the idea that an ideal bass in headphone should go up 2-4 dB dB from 200 Hz to compensate the lack of chest compression you get from speakers. Not sure how much the Sennheisers graph says these goes up in the low end but slightly elevated bass isn't necessarily not "neutral". To me at least this is the most natural EQ with headphone, and when using them in a noisy environment as these are designed to be you have to compensate even more as the lows are the first frequencies to be drowned out.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #979 of 7,998
From what Axell Grell told me at CES this year when I asked the question on why the heck there was no fully removable cable - they say they designed it to be extremely robust - tested and is 3-4 times stronger than most iem cables on the market, including the IE80. They fully expect it to last the lifetime of the product.

Personally I'd prefer fully removable so I don't need to worry about it, however I'm reassured (to a degree) that they did think about it and design it to be more durable.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #980 of 7,998
Quote:

I agree that IE800´s price is most likely very much due to high R&D costs, but I don´t know if putting 8 off the shelf BA drivers into molded acrylic really comes anywhere near 1000 dollars bill of materials wise either. CIEM companies don´t design and manufacture their own drivers like Sennheiser has done on the IE800. Achieving the frequency response of the IE800 with a single 8mm microdriver is extremely impressive engineering. The TDK IE800  uses two off the shelf dynamic microdrivers similar to size as the Sennheiser one, but sounds like a poor joke compared to the "real IE800". Unfortunately the best BA IEM I´ve heard is the Shure 530. The IE800 eats it for breakfast, but it would be neat to compare to the new Heir 8.A for example. Hopefully I´ll be able to get a high end BA before summer.

Agreed on the cable. I would have also preferred a fully detachable cable. But yeah at least better than a fully fixed one...

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #981 of 7,998
Any of you coming along to the London meet will have the opportunity to harangue 
talk to Axell seeing as he was fully involved in the design of the IE800's...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #984 of 7,998
will the Hp-p1 match the sound of ie800?

i heard the pico slim pair well with the ie800... never heard other... maybe because ie800 doesn't need amp to pump out the full sound? what's ur thought guys.. pls share with me.. I am noob T.T

Mar 23, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #985 of 7,998
Quote:
will the Hp-p1 match the sound of ie800?

i heard the pico slim pair well with the ie800... never heard other... maybe because ie800 doesn't need amp to pump out the full sound? what's ur thought guys.. pls share with me.. I am noob T.T

The IE800 don't need an amp. I have a few portable amps (not the pico slim though) and none of them makes them sound significantly better than straight from the DAP.

If anything, a bass-light amp like the Icon Mobile can make them sound more balanced, but that's about all ime.

Mar 23, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #986 of 7,998
Quote:

The IE800 don't need an amp. I have a few portable amps (not the pico slim though) and none of them makes them sound significantly better than straight from the DAP.

If anything, a bass-light amp like the Icon Mobile can make them sound more balanced, but that's about all ime.

wow I see... thx for telling James...u might save me a huge moolah! :D

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #987 of 7,998
Seconded. IE800 doesn´t scale that much with my PCStep compared to other IEMs I have here. It sounds great straight out of an iPod Nano 7g. In my experience dynamic drivers usually scale less than multi-BA´s with amplification, unless you have a DAP with a too high output impedance. And to be honest portable amps are usually quite overpriced, I would rather spend the money and get a second IEM to complement the IE800 sound signature.

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #989 of 7,998
Quote:
Seconded. IE800 doesn´t scale that much with my PCStep compared to other IEMs I have here. It sounds great straight out of an iPod Nano 7g. In my experience dynamic drivers usually scale less than multi-BA´s with amplification, unless you have a DAP with a too high output impedance. And to be honest portable amps are usually quite overpriced, I would rather spend the money and get a second IEM to complement the IE800 sound signature.

seriously i wish my iphone 5+ ie800 is my long year rig..port amp is really Crazy expensive..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back