Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM Post #931 of 7,998
Quote:
Revisiting me earlier comments, maybe Tyl's measurements should not be dismissed so quickly. About five days ago I was tempted to post on the possibility that the IE800 evolves significantly with long-term burn-in of hundreds of hours. Specifically, I no longer find that it has especially elevated bass. It has good deep impactful bass but the bass is no longer brain rattling. That was not the case when I first bought it.

Each to their own, but I don't see how "burn-in" would explain a >15db difference in deep bass between Tyll's and Rin's measurements.

Plus, there's up to 10db channel mismatch in the high range on Tyll's graph and Joker's report of treble ringing, making me strongly suspect that their unit is faulty.

Feb 26, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #937 of 7,998
Quote:
Are they the portable version of Sennheiser HD800 ?

Not at all. Just the IEM flagship but these do not sound that close at all too the HD800.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #938 of 7,998
Quote:

Each to their own, but I don't see how "burn-in" would explain a >15db difference in deep bass between Tyll's and Rin's measurements.

Plus, there's up to 10db channel mismatch in the high range on Tyll's graph and Joker's report of treble ringing, making me strongly suspect that their unit is faulty.

Hmm, I am looking at Rin's graph for the first time (link was dead in my location yesterday). I am not sure where the fault lies but with a 15+ db discrepancy at 100 hz and below something is fishy in Denmark.  :wink:

The burn-in effect that I may be hearing might account for 2 or 3 db of change, enough to render my -1db EQ profile obsolete, definitely not 15.

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #939 of 7,998
So im about to bite on a pair of these (i can get them for about$660) and i was wondering what amp to pair them with, i have been considering the RSA Hornet, RSA shaddow, ALO Audio the continetal v3 and the pico slim, i will be pairing them with either my S3 or AK100. I mostly listen to choral but i do listen to almostnevery genere, i would like the amp to have a super warm sound and great highs with alot of detail, could those of you that have tried these setups please leave your thoughts.

Thanks

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #940 of 7,998
So im about to bite on a pair of these (i can get them for about$660) and i was wondering what amp to pair them with, i have been considering the RSA Hornet, RSA shaddow, ALO Audio the continetal v3 and the pico slim, i will be pairing them with either my S3 or AK100. I mostly listen to choral but i do listen to almostnevery genere, i would like the amp to have a super warm sound and great highs with alot of detail, could those of you that have tried these setups please leave your thoughts.

Thanks

Where do you get then at that price?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #942 of 7,998
Quote:

Thanks

Well I'm no expert, but I heard the IE800 with the Pico Slim and the Shadow side-by-side when I tried it out in Singapore. The RSA shadow will do a great job of producing a lovely warm sound, whereas the Slim is more neutral and just makes it sound fuller and wider. I don't remember it all, so I can't comment on the highs or the detail - both the Slim and the Shadow are very detailed to my ears. Never heard the Continental or Hornet, but the Continental also seems like a good choice for your sound preference based on the reviews I've read.

Edit: I amped them from the headphone out of my Cowon, so differences will probably stand out more using a LOD!

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #944 of 7,998
To my ears the Pico Slim does not make the IE800 sound fuller nor does IE800 require that. The Pico Slim opens up the IE800 sound making it a bit less thick and and enhancing separation between instruments in the soundstage.

(Edit: My observations amping the iPod Classic versus direct from the headphone out. IMHO YMMV as always.)

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #945 of 7,998
Credit to earlier post.
The Comply T500 foam tips do fit on the IE800.
I do prefer Comply foam to any other tips so I am grateful for that.
Obviously not a made to measure fit in that they don't twist and lock but still a snug fit.
I am using the medium tips though assume diameter of hole is the same for other sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back