Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Apr 9, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #7,366 of 7,998
Keep an eye out in the classifieds here under both Amplifiers and Sources for a Chord Mojo. I’ve see them sell for as little as the low $300s, and in my opinion, it mates up with your IE 800 beautifully—I own this combo myself. The Dragonfly Red is a good DAC/amp for $200, but the Mojo is a huge step up, worthy of your $800 iem.

What have you gotten yourself into now? A little lighter in the wallet but a blissful time listening to your favorite music, that’s for sure!

I'm really liking the reviews on the Mojo DAC. I'll keep an eye out on that one. I do like the fact that the Dragonfly won't require any extra table space and that's important for me seeing as I'm always out and about working on a laptop.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #7,368 of 7,998
Had my IE800 for almost 1 year now and they sound great as ever. Sometimes when i listen i will have to push them back into my ears as they slip out somewhat and i lose the acoustic seal, it's not a huge deal as i only have to adjust them sometimes. However, i tried for the first time recently to insert them upside down so that the wire is at the top and i loop the wires over my ear and i have found i am able to insert them quite a bit deeper into my ear canal if i wear them upside down like this. I have to be careful taking them out though as it feels like the ear piece might come off in my ear if i do it too fast. Other then that the seal is so much better and i can listen for EVER (hours) and never have to touch or adjust them even if i move around a lot. Just thought i would share this, is anyone else wearing them like this?

Apr 11, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #7,370 of 7,998
I'm using the comply 'isolation' tips for sennheiser at the moment on my ie800 IEMS. https://www.complyfoam.com/products/sen-isolation/ On the plus side they do seal better and they don't budge when you are moving your head. On the negative side, due to the increased sealing they murder the sound. The bass frequencies become very heavy and the treble frequencies loose their sparkle. I will be moving back to the oval tips.

Apr 11, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #7,371 of 7,998
I'm using the comply 'isolation' tips for sennheiser at the moment on my ie800 IEMS. https://www.complyfoam.com/products/sen-isolation/ On the plus side they do seal better and they don't budge when you are moving your head. On the negative side, due to the increased sealing they murder the sound. The bass frequencies become very heavy and the treble frequencies loose their sparkle. I will be moving back to the oval tips.

Medium-large ovals work best for me. :grin:

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #7,372 of 7,998
Is it just me, or are the ie800 equal to or superior than the campfire andromedas?

I auditioned the Andros but I wasn’t impressed.

I have both currently.

Can't really compare them. Both are different in good ways.

ie800 low end is better than the andromeda for sure.

Andros are tuned to be flat but slightly bright. ie800 are more v shaped.

I enjoy both equally :) even though ie800 are less than half of what i paid for the andros.

I was skeptical of the ie800 before trading with another headfier, but i'm definitely surprised how well they perform now.

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #7,373 of 7,998
Are any of the amazon sellers legit? I see the electronics expo seller is fulfilled by amazon which means the product is already at the amazon center for distribution but the price seems too good to be true. I assume grey market but the reviews of the storefront are really good, 99% over 12 mo with 182K total. Not sure why there are not authorized dealers selling on amazon. Worth a try? I can return easy since fulfilled by amazon.

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #7,374 of 7,998
Are any of the amazon sellers legit? I see the electronics expo seller is fulfilled by amazon which means the product is already at the amazon center for distribution but the price seems too good to be true. I assume grey market but the reviews of the storefront are really good, 99% over 12 mo with 182K total. Not sure why there are not authorized dealers selling on amazon. Worth a try? I can return easy since fulfilled by amazon.

Welp, for IE800 especially I'd stick with autorized sellers or shops you know you can trust

What price do you have? The copies can be madly hard to differentiate from the originals

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #7,375 of 7,998
Apr 29, 2018 at 7:14 AM Post #7,376 of 7,998
I’ve not been in this thread for a while so I’m sorry if this question had been answered already......
I currently own a pair of ie800s and my only real frustration with them is the cable. The cable noise is irritating but more annoying for me is the stiffness of the cable making them want to come out all the time.
Anyway, I love the sound enough that I’m tempted to buy some IE800S because the cable looks more flexible and it might just help fix the cable problem a little for me.
Those that have tried both what do you think? Is it worth the upgrade but more importantly for me is the cable better to help solve my issue with them?
Thanks, James.

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #7,377 of 7,998
If the cable ist stiff:
a) you either have fake IE800, or
b) your IE800 are quite old (well before serial # 35'000 or so).

In case b) you might get the cable (de facto the whole IE800) exchanged by Sennheiser. They habe a customer-friendly policy (with their pricing that's easy...), but this will not help you in case a)

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #7,378 of 7,998
If the cable ist stiff:
a) you either have fake IE800, or
b) your IE800 are quite old (well before serial # 35'000 or so).

In case b) you might get the cable (de facto the whole IE800) exchanged by Sennheiser. They habe a customer-friendly policy (with their pricing that's easy...), but this will not help you in case a)
It’s B and I’m pretty sure they’ll be well out if warranty! Maybe I will contact them and see what they can do.
How does the later IE800 cable compare to the current IE800S cable?

Apr 29, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #7,379 of 7,998
Sennheiser IE800 and Dita Answer Truth Edition

Audiophile-Heaven-Review-Dita-Answer-Truth-Edition-Photo-31.jpg

Apr 29, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #7,380 of 7,998
It’s B and I’m pretty sure they’ll be well out if warranty! Maybe I will contact them and see what they can do
If they are legit, you can count on them exchanging your IE800 even out of warranty. They know very well about their early production built-in failure.

The new IE800 cables stay flexible. I dunno about the IE800S cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back