Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Oct 21, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #5,733 of 7,998
Hi Fellow IE800 owners! Just to share my gear paired with IE800. I am not an audiophile, I just love good sound. Another important aspect for me is portability and I do enjoy the convenience of wireless freedom since I commute very frequently.

I usually just listen to Spotify at Extreme Quality streaming via my Samsung S7 Edge mobile phone. I must agree that the IE800 requires an external amp to bring out it's full potential, plugging it directly to the 3.5mm jack of my mobile phone doesn't bring out it's true potential. Hence I was in a constant search of an external amp that comes with these key functions:

1. Wireless: Bluetooth APT-X for higher fidelity streaming.
2. Built-in Amp
3. Portable - In terms of both weight and dimensions.
4. Cost effective - Ideally less than USD150.

Being in Singapore, I realized that Creative has the perfect solution for me. The Soundblaster E3: http://sg.creative.com/p/amplifiers/sound-blaster-e3

What's really interesting about this product is that it functions both wireless and wired. Wireless is basically Bluetooth connectivity to any of your mobile devices, ideally one which is also ATP-X enable. In Wired mode, for iOS devices, I can connect it directly via the provided OTG cable - basically you get lossless transmission.

For Android devices, there is also an option of a 3.5mm "Input". Besides, the E3 also works as handsfree for phone calls. With a 600ohm amplification, my IE800 reveals a wider soundstage, deeper bass - An obvious improvement over it's already existing excellent performance, and the difference is beyond subtle. 

In terms of usability, I cannot say more praises when it comes to convenience. My phone can be in my pocket and I can control volume, skip tracks, pause, answer calls all right from the E3 itself. Another very interesting function is that it comes with a pair of 3.5mm headphone jacks (both amplified), if you wish to share your music or even test 2 pairs of earphones at once. Or let your imagination run wild and explore it's possibilities. 

In terms of battery life, it should last 4-6 hours of continuous usage and the saving grace is that it charges really fast via it's micro-usb input. 

In terms of availability, Creative should have a regional site for most of the places you may be located for online purchase.

This post is really meant for folks here who uses their mobile phone as a main source of music and NOT for the most discerning ears.

Which is why I am not talking about frequency curves or other technicalities, which may tend to make music sounding more science than art. I am also not naturally gifted in axis and lines anyway :)

The Soundblaster E3 will never replace or meant to replace an audiophile gear but it offers a viable alternative for folks who wishes to have access to quality sound on the move, Wirelessly. 

PS: I am not paid to write this.

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #5,734 of 7,998
Hi, I think the microphonics may not be directly related to the cables itself but due to the nature of the design and the weight of the Y-connectors. I am using a 3rd party cable clip which greatly minimizes the cable motion as well as preventing the buds from dislodging itself from ears. 

I am using this: http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/5pack-OEM-Clips-For-Sennheiser-ME4-Tie-Lapel-Mic-CX-earphones-Replacement-clip-/321411712352?hash=item4ad5a18560:g:lM0AAOxyD9JR70Y-

Easy solution!

Oct 21, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #5,735 of 7,998
  The early batches of IE800 seemed to show microphonic/cable-noise. Has the issue been corrected later with a better stock cable? Has any recent buyer faced a similar issue?

Hi, I think the microphonics may not be directly related to the cables itself but due to the nature of the design and the weight of the Y-connectors. I am using a 3rd party cable clip which greatly minimizes the cable motion as well as preventing the buds from dislodging itself from ears. 

I am using this: http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/5pack-OEM-Clips-For-Sennheiser-ME4-Tie-Lapel-Mic-CX-earphones-Replacement-clip-/321411712352?hash=item4ad5a18560:g:lM0AAOxyD9JR70Y-

Easy solution!

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #5,737 of 7,998

Well, I got my ie800's and have had some time with them.  The sound is very full and revealing.  I love almost every aspect of the sound signature.  I run Tidal on my iPhone 6s with Audioquest Dragonfly.  I also have an Oppo HA-2.  I've found the best sound is through the Oppo.  They are also very good straight off the phone, but I prefer a better DAC and amplification.  I feel it brings out more.  My only gripe, like others, is the fit.  I've tried all the tips and have settled on the medium round.  I've been used to deep insertion of my Ety's.  It's taking time to get used to the new tip position.  I'm able to overlook the fit, because the sound is "Just right"!  Yes, the cord could be a bit longer and there should be a shirt clip, but these are minor issues.  For me, the best way to use these is sitting still.  Walking around affects the fit, so if I just sit down to enjoy the music, there is no need for me to complain.  Overall, I'm very pleased with these and I prefer the sound over Etymotic ER-4, Westone W60 and Cardas.  Those are all good, but these just seem to be right across the frequency range, to my ears!

I'll keep and enjoy these for a long time.

Best
Scott

I am keeping mine for a long long time too! Couldn't find a better alternative till date!

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #5,739 of 7,998
  You might not be listening to genuine ie800. 

Mid are completely fine, even better than with most IEMs out there. Slightly lower volume than bass and treble but totally not sucked out. 

EDIT::: Ie800 is not mid centric though, what were you listening to before?

Agree with George. 

It's V-shaped, mids are not overly emphasized nor should it be taking a back stage in your case. 

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #5,740 of 7,998
  better and cheaper than ie800? 
biggrin.gif

We keep telling everyone, there is no better in this world. Only different tastes and different sounds. 

Want something really cool? Check other IEMs! Want something really cool? Check Ie800! 

Ie800 has a really unique sound that nothing else really has. Because of it's technology and design. Now, there are many other really good IEMs on the market, Fiio EX1, Echobox IEMs, Sennheiser ie8 (?), momentum in ears, a LOT. None has the exact same sound for cheaper or is better for cheaper. Nor for more money. Ie800 is a unique product. Like almost every other product. 

IF something can sound better, it will be better for you, not better for everyone. I really like this type of treble, this type of bass, this type of mids, this sound. 

Tested headphones, IEMs and setups 4X times more expensive and I still wasn't as impressed as I am with ie800. that is the entire point, find the sound you like, in the price you like. Ie800 is really treble happy, bass happy, mid sweet, soundstage nice and separation incredible. The very unique sound is it's own. You can be happy with a fiio EX1 if you want a really good price/performance ration, and I heard many being happy with echobox IEMs, but if you want ie800, there is no other IEM that will have the exact same sound. 

I have to totally bow down and agree with you George.

The pursuit for a better sound can be endless, simply because each individual's perception of a "better sound" is never the same.

We know it the moment we put on that "right" pair. Likewise, there are times when we audition a pair and pulled it out just like a fighter pilot ejecting from his seat. 

I've tested many other IEMs just like you. None seems to appeal to me like IE800, to a point that I even feel that it's bespoke. That's when I know I should stop searching and do some soul searching instead. And importantly, I spend less time on the Science of things which I feel music should be enjoyed as an Artistic expression. 

Amazingly, the IE800 impresses me each and every time I put it on.

Even though I've had it for more than a year. I would say that's when someone has found their sound.

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #5,741 of 7,998
  Do people use ie800 out of the house in general?

I've been babying them and using them only inside, and only under very clean conditions to lengthen their live XD.

Hey George,

I've used mine with my eyes closed on my bed, in morning rush hours in the train, reclining back when I am on the flight. Literally everywhere I go, my IE800 follows and faithfully performs. 

The initial challenge was with the microphonics and occasional buds dropping out. However it can be easily resolved with a third party cable clip. 

One of my post on my daily setup with Creative E3 allows me to enjoy these babies with minimal compromise on sound quality yet maintaining portability.

Here are 2 reviews on this product which I feel deserves more attention than it's given:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/creative-sound-blaster-e3-headphone-amplifier/reviews

Oct 21, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #5,742 of 7,998
  Having owned the SE846 before, and now living in Thailand - found some legit IE800s at a reasonable price (to me). I think they're about $300-400 cheaper than the Shure SE846's here. Working overtime all summer, so I thought I would get myself some high end IEMS. It's been a while :). Even though these are old now, I don't mind. Plus, I'm kind of a Sennheiser fanboy.

Just some quick thoughts - Great with vocals. Bass is solid and bountiful. Treble is good. Would go into some real detail, but I'm sure it's all been covered before.

On the flip side, what is up with the cable? Sennheiser, why is the Y split so high? :xf_eek:

I have to agree that Sennheiser missed out the usability on the Y-connector, it's indeed too high and heavy. I resolved mine with a third party cable clip and all's well. 

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/5pack-OEM-Clips-For-Sennheiser-ME4-Tie-Lapel-Mic-CX-earphones-Replacement-clip-/321411712352?hash=item4ad5a18560:g:lM0AAOxyD9JR70Y-

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #5,743 of 7,998
somehow for me the best seal and sound I get is when I wear the ie800 over the ear, for me its no problem when wearing them that way in comfort

Oct 21, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #5,744 of 7,998

Users who are viewing this thread

Back