Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Sep 26, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #5,717 of 7,998
Yeah if im not satisfied with MDR-7550, im going to get IE800.
I know for fact im not even going to bother looking on Ebay to buy IEM now..

MDR-7550 -> ie800 is precisely the progression I took.

I simply can't go back to the Sonys. I mean, they're damn fine. But they always sound veiled and muffled when compared to the ie800 now. That's not to say you may not still prefer the 7550s afterwards. But for me, the ie800 made me realize that I greatly prefer that "bright" and detailed sound sig.

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #5,718 of 7,998
Thanks Duncan.
So the pairs going for £70-80 on eBay are a safe bet for an IE800 fan?
they're £75 in Argos (seeing that you're quoting in GBP), so a safer bet if you're worried about fakes :)

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #5,720 of 7,998
man i have to give it to ie800, you know i had my share of iems, and whenever i plug in the ie800 it simply makes me smile, its a dam great iem

what i did i bought the silicon foam filled tips from trinity audio and they fit without popping out like other tips

and now i am in a bliss of audio

yes i have the zeus R which is my number 1 iem but immediatley after it comes the ie800

i had mine on the sale forum but i will remove it from there as this is a dam good iem and is a keeper especially after buying the trinity audio tips

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #5,721 of 7,998
  man i have to give it to ie800, you know i had my share of iems, and whenever i plug in the ie800 it simply makes me smile, its a dam great iem

what i did i bought the silicon foam filled tips from trinity audio and they fit without popping out like other tips

and now i am in a bliss of audio

yes i have the zeus R which is my number 1 iem but immediatley after it comes the ie800

i had mine on the sale forum but i will remove it from there as this is a dam good iem and is a keeper especially after buying the trinity audio tips

Linky for tips?

Sep 28, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #5,722 of 7,998

Linky for tips?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/816318/trinity-kombi-tips

the strange thing is i ordered both large and medium, the medium does not pop out while the large one does

Sep 30, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #5,723 of 7,998
As I’ve just lost one of my med oval tips and the ridiculous price Senn is charging for a pair of replacements I’m interested in alternatives.

But trying all the included tips once more to see which one works best  as I basically stuck with the medium from the first, I’m again amazed at how much of the overall sound from these IEMs is totally dependent on choosing the proper tip as it's crucial in getting the ie800s to sound their best.

With my ears…
Small: enhanced treble, reduced midrange, small sound stage and no base and would definitely make the ie800s a waste of money as they come across extremely mediocre with no inherent strengths.
Medium: excellent tonal balance, very good sound stage and prodigious base making the price of admission for the ie800s definitely worth while.
Medium oval: similar to medium but the base is more even handed with a touch less sub base.
Large: Good sound stage and tonal balance, reduced/less impact with lower base, no sub base
Large oval: similar to large but base is reduced even more.

Keep in mind the above results are with my ears. Overall as base is attenuated the treble and midrange appear more prominent and as base is increased treble and midrange become attenuated and the overall sound of the ear phone becomes warmer, this can also play a large part but not totally on the perception of the sound stage.  The overall goal in getting the proper coupling which I’m discovering is so much more finicky than over and on ear headphones of even ear buds for that matter.... and as I mentioned critical…get it wrong and the sound is horrible…get it right and one is walking around with a “very” high end audio system reproducing music…at least with the ie800.
wink.gif

So if anyone is getting similar results with the medium Senn tips and currently trying alternatives I’d be interested to hear the results.

Spin fits look interesting

https://everydaylisteningblog.wordpress.com/2016/03/25/spinfit-tips-cp100-review-big-ergonomic-upgrade-comes-with-big-sound-changes/
“Immediately there was a perceptible difference, both mid and sub bass was accentuated but remains punchy, which I personally don`t like and the highs were a little more recessed, which wouldn`t be so bad if the upper mids weren`t increased a little too which makes the iems sound a little more brittle and aggressive sounding, its not huge but its not small either and it definitely isn`t the best modification for an already hyper detailed iem like the ie800.”

Quote:

And these also look look like a contender.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/816318/trinity-kombi-tips

what i did i bought the silicon foam filled tips from trinity audio

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #5,725 of 7,998
I have to say ie800 and Sony f805 is bliss,i have no problem listening to it after coming from cayin n6 and ZX2.There is a litle more soundstage depth (not width),a little bit better micro detail and more textured bass from the big players  but other than that clarity is on par and  i can easily listen to this combo for hours on end since it is more musical.I am seriously contempleting the new A30 and ie800 for outdoors,just waiting for impressions and if there is justified sq improvements from a10/20 series,other than that ie800 and sony daps is a very musical combo(as long as you don't buy the sony eu versions with vol cap).

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #5,727 of 7,998
I use the 200 TSX and those work pretty well but be carefull when getting them out of your ears again, as it is possible the foam remain in your ear(s). Did anyone try the T100?

The T100 don't fit, they're far too small, I haven't tried personally, but the t130 made for Phonak earphones might give a tighter fit. I find the T200's to be pretty spot on though I usually use spinfit CP100's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back