Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Aug 3, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #5,611 of 7,998

But the tips. Oh my goodness! If you carelessly pull the cable, the tips will definitely fall out from the cavity and if you are hurrying to go to work, will you stop a few minutes to looking for it on the road?! And that heavy middle connection, what's the freak! I really hate the design!!

No problems with the tips so far (my Momentum in-ear were notorious for loose tips) but I do agree with you on that middle connector, Sennheiser should have at least included a lapel clip....but all is forgiven (almost) once I'm listening to the music.
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #5,612 of 7,998

No problems with the tips so far (my Momentum in-ear were notorious for loose tips) but I do agree with you on that middle connector, Sennheiser should have at least included a lapel clip....but all is forgiven (almost) once I'm listening to the music.
smile.gif

Agree. But its annoyed microphonical effect is from that heavy connector! But yeah, a clip will help to reduce it. But...
Did Senn. want to leave some room for further improvement?!
eek.gif

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #5,615 of 7,998
Another advice if your ie800 is falling too often from years. You might want to try other tip size. I found that I loved the sound of big round tips the most, but never got a good seal and they were falling from ears every 20 minutes without me moving, while having to wash the tips after every single usage. 

Using medium round tips (the ones ie800 comes installed with) and I haven't had the IEMs fall out once in the past month. I still kinda liked the sound better with large round, but eh... using what actually works right now. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #5,616 of 7,998
  Another advice if your ie800 is falling too often from years. You might want to try other tip size. I found that I loved the sound of big round tips the most, but never got a good seal and they were falling from ears every 20 minutes without me moving, while having to wash the tips after every single usage. 

Using medium round tips (the ones ie800 comes installed with) and I haven't had the IEMs fall out once in the past month. I still kinda liked the sound better with large round, but eh... using what actually works right now. 

Yes, I use the largest round tips which gives best sound quality. I'm luck than you that it never fall off when I use it without moving. :)

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #5,617 of 7,998

Yes, I use the largest round tips which gives best sound quality. I'm luck than you that it never fall off when I use it without moving. :)

That sure is a great luck, my friend! 

I dream of the day my tips won't fall out by themselves, or the day I'll be able to get a good seal with big round. 

Cheers to the best sound 
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #5,619 of 7,998
Just bought ie800s and ZX2. Maybe it's not the greatest combo. Bass + Bass. Classical sounds sounds dark and even somewhat veiled. I have 150 hours on both now, ZX2 needs a lot of break-in. The sound seems to be getting better. EQing more treble and less bass helps but I don't like doing that. I want to keep both. It's a big, engaging, detailed sound, and the ie800s fit great.

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #5,620 of 7,998
  Just bought ie800s and ZX2. Maybe it's not the greatest combo. Bass + Bass. Classical sounds sounds dark and even somewhat veiled. I have 150 hours on both now, ZX2 needs a lot of break-in. The sound seems to be getting better. EQing more treble and less bass helps but I don't like doing that. I want to keep both. It's a big, engaging, detailed sound, and the ie800s fit great.

This is going to sound like a trite platitude, but you may want to consider trying different tips and different insertion depths.

After I first got the IE800s, I was SURE I had determined the best fit when I began using the largest round tips. But it wasn't until I switched to the largest ovals that everything finally "clicked".

Aug 4, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #5,621 of 7,998
  This is going to sound like a trite platitude, but you may want to consider trying different tips and different insertion depths.

After I first got the IE800s, I was SURE I had determined the best fit when I began using the largest round tips. But it wasn't until I switched to the largest ovals that everything finally "clicked".

Yep...finding the right tip can make all the difference in the world...I'm also finding that the largest ovals work best with my ears and ie800s...too deep (smallest) and base can be a bit too much or non at all, too shallow (largest) and some body is lost to the music, treble is also greatly affected..mileage will vary. The ovals have so far given be the best and deepest sound-staging and tonal balance, but it also comes down to what feels best in the ear and is most secure without falling out or actually getting stuck...and what works with the IE800s does necessarily transfer over to another iem....best fit and sound may end up being a compromise but we do adapt....otherwise Grados would never have gotten out of the starting block...

Aug 4, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #5,622 of 7,998
Delete

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #5,623 of 7,998
Thanks guys, it looks like that's the issue! I'm traveling and the tips are at home, but I just lessened the insertion depth of the one I have now (medium) and the bass problem totally disappeared. They sing beautifully now. Just awesome! Probably the large size is the one I'll end up using. 

Aug 5, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #5,624 of 7,998
  On desktop gears, I believe many people who already have can drive IE800 well. I don't think IE800 was designed for portable use. It's a ridiculous design for portable use.

If you mean running, or pole vaulting, i would agree from my massive 18 hours experience with them.  I do a lot of travelling, and wanted something that had exquisite sound, and is small enough to fit in my computer bag, and this fits that bill perfectly.  

After 18 hours, i find these IE phones are amazing.  The word i am currently using is SMOOOOOTH.  I do notice, however, that im on the 3rd or second to last volume setting, so i need to do something about that.  I know i will sound like my wife saying this, but the mojo looks like a toy!  I was hoping for something very thin, with a couple of eq settings to play with, that i could strap to my phone and not look like i had a big rock in my pocket.  (shallow, i know)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back