Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Feb 13, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #4,742 of 7,998
Of course.When we say matter of preference we usually mean between products of same tier/performance otherwise we would all stick to our apple earbuds,like all the other sane people who call headfiers audiophools
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #4,743 of 7,998
Hi Good morning,

I love the sound coming out head as much as possible, with a good sense of a big and airy soundstage. I'm seriously thinking buying the ie800, but i'm afraid that is too technically outdated (2012 and 1 drive), especially regarding to these Chinese brands that are launching interesting iem's at a resonable prices.

Someone could make me a comparison between the ie800 and Dunu Titan 1, whose soundstage i like, but could be better.

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #4,744 of 7,998
Hi Good morning,

I love the sound coming out head as much as possible, with a good sense of a big and airy soundstage. I'm seriously thinking buying the ie800, but i'm afraid that is too technically outdated (2012 and 1 drive), especially regarding to these Chinese brands that are launching interesting iem's at a resonable prices.

Someone could make me a comparison between the ie800 and Dunu Titan 1, whose soundstage i like, but could be better.

If dunu titan 1 equals to Fiio EX1, then there is no comparation. Ie800 is better in all possible aspects. And about 6 times more expensive. 

Dude. Year does not matter. 

By your logic, orpheus 1 should be inferior to many headphones, but it still is second best headphone in the world. Like HD800 and HD800S series. They do amazing, even though they have been around for a long time. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #4,745 of 7,998
What do you understand that sound is better? There is no better in audio. Only what you like better. 

If dunu titan 1 equals to Fiio EX1, then there is no comparation. Ie800 is better in all possible aspects. And about 6 times more expensive. 

That is only around 5 days apart.

I'm guessing your earlier post missed quite alot of details about different levels of audio and that the higher you go, it might be difficult to determine what is better and more about personal taste.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #4,746 of 7,998

Dude. Year does not matter. 

By your logic, orpheus 1 should be inferior to many headphones, but it still is second best headphone in the world. Like HD800 and HD800S series. They do amazing, even though they have been around for a long time. 

like i said i want:

I love the sound coming out head as much as possible, with a good sense of a big and airy soundstage.

And i'm asking if at this moment chineses iem's (DN2000, A83...) have this soundstage features better than ie800 known for having one of the best soundstage to this price range.

Tthese are my doubts, because my EX1 as a very good soundstage for it low price.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #4,747 of 7,998
  like i said i want:

And i'm asking if at this moment chineses iem's (DN2000, A83...) have this soundstage features better than ie800 known for having one of the best soundstage to this price range.

Tthese are my doubts, because my EX1 as a very good soundstage for it low price.

Only soundstage wise, ie800 does not have the biggest out there. Even with the biggest tips, there are IEMs that will give better sense of space. 

I have ie8 too, from Sennheiser and it is kinda the best IEM for soundstage I tested to date. 

But, ie800 has much much better mids, bass, treble, separation, layering, texture of every instrument, and probably every other feature, even comfort.

DN2000J has a neutral curve, whie ie800 has very enhanced bass comparatively. It is a matter of taste, but consider this: The only other headphones that have mids as good as ie800 are either EQ-ed ultrasone or Grado. Sennheiser really nailed the best mids with ie800. I am 99% sure that everyone who has tested ie800 and is also into grado mids will agree.  

That is only around 5 days apart.

I'm guessing your earlier post missed quite alot of details about different levels of audio and that the higher you go, it might be difficult to determine what is better and more about personal taste.

I know that. 

Well. One of these two sentences is wrong 
biggrin.gif

The fact that ie800 is better in every aspect is wrong. But, the Q=quantity of people that would like EX1 more than ie800 is probably very small.

If you tested both, you second sentece is exactly the reason why ie800 wins hands down. There are difference between segments of audio products. Say, Ie800 belongs to TOTL IEMs, while EX1 is amongst mid-end IEMs. 

But, about the fact that some different tips would make ie800 better in every aspect, that I would doubt, because I am really happy with how they sound now. Especially after I discovered how great the soundstage is with large round tips. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #4,748 of 7,998

Only soundstage wise, ie800 does not have the biggest out there. Even with the biggest tips, there are IEMs that will give better sense of space. 

I have ie8 too, from Sennheiser and it is kinda the best IEM for soundstage I tested to date. 

But, ie800 has much much better mids, bass, treble, separation, layering, texture of every instrument, and probably every other feature, even comfort.

DN2000J has a neutral curve, whie ie800 has very enhanced bass comparatively. It is a matter of taste, but consider this: The only other headphones that have mids as good as ie800 are either EQ-ed ultrasone or Grado. Sennheiser really nailed the best mids with ie800. I am 99% sure that everyone who has tested ie800 and is also into grado mids will agree.  

I know that. 

Well. One of these two sentences is wrong 
biggrin.gif

The fact that ie800 is better in every aspect is wrong. But, the Q=quantity of people that would like EX1 more than ie800 is probably very small.

If you tested both, you second sentece is exactly the reason why ie800 wins hands down. There are difference between segments of audio products. Say, Ie800 belongs to TOTL IEMs, while EX1 is amongst mid-end IEMs. 

But, about the fact that some different tips would make ie800 better in every aspect, that I would doubt, because I am really happy with how they sound now. Especially after I discovered how great the soundstage is with large round tips. 

Possibly will buy the IE800, much to the cost of being a purchase i have always postponed due to their high cost, but now i'm prepared to spend. Is more a wish come true.

I put these doubts because both 2 chineses iem's i have, EX1 and Ostry KC06 surprised me a lot, because their SQ at low price ...... that is not the quality for this price range when Chinese were not in the hi-fi market. As an example, at that time 400€ Westone iem was quality, but now these Chinese 100\200 €  hit any 400€ Westone of that time.

That is the reason i why i put the word "afraid" in my first question.

Feb 15, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #4,749 of 7,998
Hi Good morning,

i will be trying the EX1(Titan1) soon so i will let you know what i think if youre interested?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #4,751 of 7,998
I had the opportunity today to hear the Shure 846, FX700 and IE800. For SQ and comfort my winner were the IE800, are cream to my ears, so I'll get a pair briefly.

The FX700 also enjoyed, but due they aren't on sell in Europe i don't deepened analysis VS IE800, they are also more uncomfortable than IE800. The Shure 846 has a fuller sound, but harsher to my ears compared to IE800 and FX700. The RHA T20i not belong to this league in any way.

Great iem IE800. :)

Feb 20, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #4,752 of 7,998
I had the opportunity today to hear the Shure 846, FX700 and IE800. For SQ and comfort my winner were the IE800, are cream to my ears, so I'll get a pair briefly.

The FX700 also enjoyed, but due they aren't on sell in Europe i don't deepened analysis VS IE800, they are also more uncomfortable than IE800. The Shure 846 has a fuller sound, but harsher to my ears compared to IE800 and FX700. The RHA T20i not belong to this league in any way.

Great iem IE800.
smily_headphones1.gif

At least RHA are less expensive.. I highly doubt any significantly cheaper IEM will sound in the same league ever. 

Enjoy your ultra toy!

Feb 20, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #4,753 of 7,998

At least RHA are less expensive.. I highly doubt any significantly cheaper IEM will sound in the same league ever. 

Enjoy your ultra toy!

Some Flare 2R** (much cheaper than IE800) owners say yes, that they are in the same league. Just listening side by side, i don't know.

Feb 20, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #4,754 of 7,998
My solution to the IE 800 vs SE846 conflict was to own both :)

http://www.androidguys.com/2016/02/18/sennheiser-ie-800-and-shure-se846-headphones-dual-review-epic-battle-of-the-tiny-giants/

They're stellar in their own ways.

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #4,755 of 7,998
I'll have to admit I have had a change of heart with the ie800, after about 50 hours of burn in and a little eq they are very very impressive. The bass mid and highs don't sound like 3 separate drivers from 3 different companies any more, very smooth transition and coherant. Treble does not sound half as thin as it did out of the box and very natural also the midrange doesn't seem pushed back and is clear and open, soundstage and instrument separation is good indeed. Lastly the bass which didn't calm down on its own I used a -1db eq on 2 of the bass bands to remove a bit of bloat (as a note this eq wouldn't need to be applied outdoors)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back