Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 17, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #3,871 of 7,998
Any recommendations for a replacement extension cable?   Mine is dying ... again.   Now that it is post-warranty, I don't want to buy the crappy stock cable: crapped out 4 times already in the last 2 yrs.  It would be good to get a cable extension that is a little longer too.  I think that one of the big causes for my cable failure is the constant jerking due to the shortness.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #3,872 of 7,998
Any recommendations for a replacement extension cable?   Mine is dying ... again.   Now that it is post-warranty, I don't want to buy the crappy stock cable: crapped out 4 times already in the last 2 yrs.  It would be good to get a cable extension that is a little longer too.  I think that one of the big causes for my cable failure is the constant jerking due to the shortness.

Thanks for any suggestions.

So you constantly jerk on the cable and call it crappy. Sorry, I don't get your logic. You should think about wireless. Cables are not for you, lol!

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #3,873 of 7,998
I have a question to the people who have hardened cables. 

Mine is hard already, I can barely move it. Should I wait until I cannot bend it at all, or it is hard already? I have around 5 cm from the IEM that cannot bend without lots of force, and are very stiff. But it still bends if you apply enough force. 

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,874 of 7,998
So you constantly jerk on the cable and call it crappy. Sorry, I don't get your logic. You should think about wireless. Cables are not for you, lol!

I think that he meant completely something else by jerking. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #3,875 of 7,998
Jul 17, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #3,876 of 7,998

One of the LOGICAL consequences of a short cable is more tension.   This translates into more stress on the cable from just ordinary movements.  That is one of the reasons other companies don't make cables that short.

Jul 18, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #3,877 of 7,998
My new pocketable set up.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #3,880 of 7,998
I'm gonna need more time with it and let it burn in for a bit.  But it sounds good from what I've heard so far.

Jul 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #3,881 of 7,998
I'm gonna need more time with it and let it burn in for a bit.  But it sounds good from what I've heard so far.

From my humble experience, a good DAP alone will never sound as good as a DAP+Amp setup. A hi-end amp is necessary NOT to make the sound loud, it's necessary as a high quality amplification circuit for pure and clear sound. The one who tries to separate high quality components will understand what i'm talking about. The one who lives by theory only will try to argue with me)

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #3,882 of 7,998
From my humble experience, a good DAP alone will never sound as good as a DAP+Amp setup. A hi-end amp is necessary NOT to make the sound loud, it's necessary as a high quality amplification circuit for pure and clear sound. The one who tries to separate high quality components will understand what i'm talking about. The one who lives by theory only will try to argue with me)

That's certainly true. But adding a high-end DAC will make the sound even better. Just even less portable – if that's the purpose of your DAP. So an additional amp is dispensable if you're aware that a portable system can never reach ultimate sound quality anyway.

Jul 18, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #3,884 of 7,998

That's certainly true. But adding a high-end DAC will make the sound even better. Just even less portable – if that's the purpose of your DAP. So an additional amp is dispensable if you're aware that a portable system can never reach ultimate sound quality anyway.

Sources and phones matching is also very important. No guarantee to have best sound with an excellent DAC + excellent headphones. But from my limited experience, a way to test the quanlity of a headphone is to try it with different DAC/amplifiers. High end phones are very picky to them.

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #3,885 of 7,998
  Sources and phones matching is also very important. No guarantee to have best sound with an excellent DAC + excellent headphones. But from my limited experience, a way to test the quanlity of a headphone is to try it with different DAC/amplifiers. High end phones are very picky to them.

I'm aware of that, on the other hand personally I'm not overly dependent on system matching since I equalize. But my point was rather that a portable system is limited in sound quality to begin with, so adding gear means adding weight and bulkiness in the first place, leading the portability approach to the point of the absurd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back