Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Oct 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2,356 of 7,998
So James and rin mentioned a mod where you place a bit of cloth on the nozzle of the iem to improve frequency response and dynamics, but when I tried this it just drowned out all the details. I used an alcohol swab which I cut into two small circles which I wedged down the tubing in between the tips and the iems themselves. What did I do wrong, is there a right way to do it?, I find the highs kinda splashy without any mods which can make high cymbals sound like smashing glass.

It's been a while since I owned the ie800, may re-buy a set soon, but I think I see some issues. If you're wedging something down rather than carefully making sure only a single layer of material (you may want to try other materials as well) is covering the sound tube, then naturally you're doing more blocking up the sound than filtering it. I can't promise that you'll have the results you want just with one try (or at all!). Personally, I first played my old set very, very loud with a headphone amplifier with the set in a drawer overnight, which left the highs thin, but with good timbre, iirc. Your results may vary.

Also, try blocking one and then the other of the vents. Let us know what works best after trying many things.

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #2,357 of 7,998
these things really reach down there. i've always considered myself a basshead but i think these have redefined me. the subbass on these can rumble when a song needs them to and does it considerably well. speed for dnb genre is best i've heard (well, these are the best pair i have by a long shot) and when i first heard how high this goes, i had to rethink if that's how real treble sounds or they're defective. nonetheless, these iems are fantastic although still wishing they had a replaceable cable

Oct 13, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #2,358 of 7,998
It's been a while since I owned the ie800, may re-buy a set soon, but I think I see some issues. If you're wedging something down rather than carefully making sure only a single layer of material (you may want to try other materials as well) is covering the sound tube, then naturally you're doing more blocking up the sound than filtering it. I can't promise that you'll have the results you want just with one try (or at all!). Personally, I first played my old set very, very loud with a headphone amplifier with the set in a drawer overnight, which left the highs thin, but with good timbre, iirc. Your results may vary.

Also, try blocking one and then the other of the vents. Let us know what works best after trying many things.

Only the top vent is free as the bottom vent has damping material inside, look up the working diagram when you get a chance as I think it's also posted somewhere in the iE800 forums.....:relieved:

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #2,359 of 7,998
So i`ve redone the mod multiple times and find that placing a circular piece of dry alcohol swab over the nozzle of the iem then wedging the tip over the seem produces the best results and doesn`t muffle microdetail and highs but pretty much fixes the splashy cymbals and highs issue, as an added benefit, the tips stay put more firmly as well. Rin also mentioned that you could use hifiman filters to produce better results and I see this as a more permanent mod, has anyone used these filters, if so, which ones work the best, http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=33 or http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=144, or are they both the same?, thanks

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #2,361 of 7,998
  So i`ve redone the mod multiple times and find that placing a circular piece of dry alcohol swab over the nozzle of the iem then wedging the tip over the seem produces the best results and doesn`t muffle microdetail and highs but pretty much fixes the splashy cymbals and highs issue, as an added benefit, the tips stay put more firmly as well.

That's exactly how I did it. I've had the swabs on now for like half a year without issues, so it's permanent enough for me. Didn't try hifiman filters, I'm afraid.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #2,363 of 7,998
I remember somebody was using teabag material, but that has no effect that I've found.

I think im the first to use the teabag material. Because the material recommended is that used by the teabags, but material taken from different items have varying density, which affect how much of a damping effect took place. Too thick of a material will drown out the details. The teabag mod is ever so thin, that its effects is minimal, just enough to minimize the amount of high pitch frequency.

If 1 layer did nothing for you, try 2 layers. But after some time, I probably got used to the high pitch and switched to 1 layer for the sake of details, which the IEM is very strong in.

Just for an update, my cables after using for more than a year, has turned very stiff, resulting in it getting loose when I wear it, made worst by the cable down style. I have since exchanged for a new one that is simply very soft, but I cannot remember if mine is that soft when I first gotten my first pair. It appears the newer IEM is slightly lighter as well contributing to the ergonomics of the IEM. The silicon tips seemed to have changed either in material or in size, ever so slightly.

If anyone is wondering if there is burn in, yes there is. Both the bass and high pitch tonality was better in my older pair. I burn my earphones in normally as I use them, so I cannot comment how long it would take. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #2,364 of 7,998
Thanks, that makes sense. I've left a single layer in. But I'll experiment with the hifiman filters.

The generic re filters that come with the white eartip set look to be as thin as teabag material, while the re400 filters are thicker.

The hifiman filters are quite a bit more idiot-proof than the teabag, so folks who didn't get a result with teabag should try those. First, however, try a serious break in with playing a varied playlist overnight very, very loud out of the heaphone jack on a speaker or heaphone amp. That's worked for both sets I've had. I'm moving away from even using any filters after this serious breaking in.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #2,365 of 7,998
Thanks, that makes sense. I've left a single layer in. But I'll experiment with the hifiman filters.

The generic re filters that come with the white eartip set look to be as thin as teabag material, while the re400 filters are thicker.

The hifiman filters are quite a bit more idiot-proof than the teabag, so folks who didn't get a result with teabag should try those. First, however, try a serious break in with playing a varied playlist overnight very, very loud out of the heaphone jack on a speaker or heaphone amp. That's worked for both sets I've had. I'm moving away from even using any filters after this serious breaking in.

Very true, after break in, the IE800s are a lot more comfortable to listen to. Frequency sensitive varies from individuals to individuals, the amount of "mod" used depends on the burn in condition of the IEMs and the user. The good thing about the IE800s is that it has dual layer of grills, allowing a small piece of cloth to come in between. 

Im glad to see the community for the IE800s active until so long. I really hope the my new set cable is problem free. Once the 2years are up, I can see how people will want to get rid of their IEM if the problem still persists. IMO, when the cable gets really stiff, its almost impossible to be used, it drops off so often that it frustrated me to travel far away just to swap my pair.

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #2,366 of 7,998

Very true, after break in, the IE800s are a lot more comfortable to listen to. Frequency sensitive varies from individuals to individuals, the amount of "mod" used depends on the burn in condition of the IEMs and the user. The good thing about the IE800s is that it has dual layer of grills, allowing a small piece of cloth to come in between. 

Im glad to see the community for the IE800s active until so long. I really hope the my new set cable is problem free. Once the 2years are up, I can see how people will want to get rid of their IEM if the problem still persists. IMO, when the cable gets really stiff, its almost impossible to be used, it drops off so often that it frustrated me to travel far away just to swap my pair.

Does anyone know the problems with the cable? Maybe using a hair dryer soften the wire where it is stiff will work?

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #2,367 of 7,998

Does anyone know the problems with the cable? Maybe using a hair dryer soften the wire where it is stiff will work?

How would a hair dryer work to soften the cable?

My guess is that sweat, oil produced by our skin caused the cable to change its form.
Time is not really a factor, some gets stiff cable after a year, some after 3 months. I believe sennheiser didn't do their homework regarding the material used for the cable.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #2,368 of 7,998
Did anybody use IE800 for 1.5 years without any problem ? 

I use mine like I said. =)  In June warranty will over.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #2,369 of 7,998
  How would a hair dryer work to soften the cable?

My guess is that sweat, oil produced by our skin caused the cable to change its form.
Time is not really a factor, some gets stiff cable after a year, some after 3 months. I believe sennheiser didn't do their homework regarding the material used for the cable.

Sennheiser isn't the only manufacturer that I've had problems with cables. All others were "cheap, so what, throw away" IEMs. I just haven't drank enough of the 'Kool Aid' to think that an $800.00 IEM is a throwaway after 2 years. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back