Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #631 of 7,998
Quote:
lol, seems like you are trying to make sure that IE800 won't outperform EX1000.
Based on the impression people on the Chinese forums I've read, IE800 still beats the EX1000 by sound quality overall.

LOL I happen to read some Chinese as my second language. Please post the specific link to the forum post and let me practice my Chinese.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #632 of 7,998
Quote:
LOL I happen to read some Chinese as my second language. Please post the specific link to the forum post and let me practice my Chinese.

I don't know. It was brief. Quickly found the link. http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1312590&fpage=1&toread=&page=1
It the part where he/she said after 100 hours burn-in.

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #633 of 7,998
Quote:
I don't know. It was brief. Quickly found the link. http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1312590&fpage=1&toread=&page=1
It the part where he/she said after 100 hours burn-in.

LOL the guy seems enjoyed taking the pics. I wouldn't give much weight to what he said briefly about the EXK. EX1000 has only dynamic drivers so how could you expect it to produce the "balanced armature" flavor? I found that's funny.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #634 of 7,998
Quote:

LOL the guy seems enjoyed taking the pics. I wouldn't give much weight to what he said briefly about the EXK. EX1000 has only dynamic drivers so how could you expect it to produce the "balanced armature" flavor? I found that's funny.

What I got from that post and other post/messages is that IE800 is better than the current top universals except K3003, which I'll find out about it from upcoming comparison from james444. He was just commenting on how it sound, it's not as good. There wasn't any explicit expectations. I find your rationalization is pretty funny.
I wonder how much Chinese can you read. It's not very easy to read/understand description of sound qualities of earphones.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #635 of 7,998
Quote:
He was just commenting on how it sound, it's not as good. There wasn't any explicit expectations. I find your rationalization is pretty funny.
I wonder how much Chinese can you read. It's not very easy to read/understand description of sound qualities of earphones.

Are you sure that guy is not yourself? LOL.I have the whole page translated into English and then read it.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #636 of 7,998
Quote:
Are you sure that guy is not yourself? LOL.I have the whole page translated into English and then read it.

Why would you think that guy is me? If that was me, do you think I still would consistently asking James for the comparison? Clearly, you are not thinking. Or fail trolling/joking.

Just a note, I tried several translators and they failed to translate correctly. I read English faster than I read Chinese. Since that posts is on forums, people tend to simply the language, use short phrase, and improper sentence structure. That usually messes up the algorithm used in translators.
Basically, I think your judgment and rationalization is poor.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #637 of 7,998
Quote:
Why would you think that guy is me? If that was me, do you think I still would consistently asking James for the comparison? Clearly, you are not thinking. Or fail trolling/joking.

Just a note, I tried several translators and they failed to translate correctly. I read English faster than I read Chinese. Since this is on forum, people tend to simply the language, use short phrase, and improper sentence structure. That usually messes up the algorithm used in translators.
Basically, I think your judgment and rationalization is poor.

You are right I was joking (or teasing), that was a poor judgement right there. LOL.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #638 of 7,998
I think ultimately it may depend on what music you listen to though if you are deciding which one is better.

I personally use the IE800 only through my iPhone 5 to listen to pop music and the occasional dance/electronic piece. If you listen to classical or rock or something else, your preferences might differ.

I suppose I'll go read the Chinese site as well and see what that guy says :p

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #639 of 7,998
Quote:
I think ultimately it may depend on what music you listen to though if you are deciding which one is better.

I personally use the IE800 only through my iPhone 5 to listen to pop music and the occasional dance/electronic piece. If you listen to classical or rock or something else, your preferences might differ.

I suppose I'll go read the Chinese site as well and see what that guy says :p

I mainly listen to rock, from portable device like iPod touch.

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #640 of 7,998
Quote:
oh, and FX700's cymbal sounds a bit thin, not "brassy". But the are textures on the cymbal strokes though.

and what's TWFK? 
confused.gif

and correct me if I'm wrong, I thought W4 has less treble presence than FX700?
I remember you and joker, as well as others told me K3003 has similar treble presence as FX700 when using High Boost filter. Well, unless you compared it with reference filter.

The IE800's cymbals sound even thinner than the FX700's. Don't know if you've heard the PFE232, but the Senns have a similar tuning of note weight (not frequency response, mind you): meaty bass combined with feather light treble. It has its merits, cause you get slam from down low and detail from up there at the same time, but as a tradeoff, overall timbre feels a bit skewed.

TWFK is a series of dual BA drivers, used in a lot of IEMs for mid-highs (W4, K3003, 4.Ai, SM3,...) or as full-range driver (UE700, DBA02, CK10,...). TWFK implementations may share some similarities (e.g. "brassy" treble), but depending on tuning and additional drivers used, their overall sound signatures may vary quite widely. W4 have more laid-back treble than even the K3003 with reference filters. I never use the high boost filter btw, cause it makes the AKGs spiky and impairs low volume dynamics.

Quote:
What I got from that post and other post/messages is that IE800 is better than the current top universals except K3003, ...

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but frankly, I think such statements are too generalizing and therefore of limited value. "Better" in which way?

Most folks here would probably use tonal accuracy as a benchmark, and the IE800 neither have a flat response (exaggerated bass), nor consistent note weight (weighty bass, thinnish treble). So, by that standard, they'd probably be "worse" than quite a few other universals. They sure sound damn impressive though and easily hold their own against the current top universals, but will definitely won't win over many Ety ER4 fans, lol.

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #641 of 7,998
Quote:

The IE800's cymbals sound even thinner than the FX700's. Don't know if you've heard the PFE232, but the Senns have a similar tuning of note weight (not frequency response, mind you): meaty bass combined with feather light treble. It has its merits, cause you get slam from down low and detail from up there at the same time, but as a tradeoff, overall timbre feels a bit skewed.

TWFK is a series of dual BA drivers, used in a lot of IEMs for mid-highs (W4, K3003, 4.Ai, SM3,...) or as full-range driver (UE700, DBA02, CK10,...). TWFK implementations may share some similarities (e.g. "brassy" treble), but depending on tuning and additional drivers used, their overall sound signatures may vary quite widely. W4 have more laid-back treble than even the K3003 with reference filters. I never use the high boost filter btw, cause it makes the AKGs spiky and impairs low volume dynamics.

mad.gif
redface.gif
frown.gif
..... IE800 cymbals are thinner than FX700.... NOOOOO!!
what does that sound like? "fling" "fling" "fling" lol
well, I guess I might buy the IE800 then. I remember my Monster Turbine Pro Copper's treble was more "brassy" than FX700, since the BA driver. I kind of miss that.

and I thought the high boost filter doesn't change the rest of the spectrum, well, according to joker

"Tuning filters are - by nature – subtractive. They shape the sound by attenuating some frequencies over others. In the case of the K3003, the Treble Boost filter is just a grille, taking nothing away from the unfiltered sound. It provides a bright but refined signature, with plenty of treble that is really quite smooth for a TWFK-based earphone. There is no problem with treble quality when it comes to the Treble Boost filter but the quantity may push the tolerance limits for some, causing long-term listening fatigue."

Seems like a free treble boost...

Since K3003 uses BA driver for mids and treble, it's more brassy than FX700 right?
and is there an IEM with qualities like FX700, but with more treble presence and extension, brass treble, slightly less bass, non-laid back mid-range?
Is AKG K3003 a candidate?
EX1000 has brassy treble? Does K3003 sound close to EX1000? 

I really hope I don't have to go to the custom route.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #642 of 7,998
Quote:

mad.gif
redface.gif
frown.gif
..... IE800 cymbals are thinner than FX700.... NOOOOO!!
what does that sound like? "fling" "fling" "fling" lol

I give you an example: listen to this track from about 03:00 to 04:00. There's the vibes on the left, Dave on bass in the middle and the drummer at the right. I believe he's mainly working the hi-hat, so that may not be ideal, but still good enough to illustrate what I mean. I've seen Dave Holland live a few times and he usually stands a few steps back and leaves the center stage to his soloists.

Anyway, listening to this piece with the IE800, Dave sounds as if he's playing totally front/center, cause bass is noticeably enhanced. The vibes on the left sound about right and very natural (the Senn's mids are really marvellous). However, the drummer on the right sounds almost as if he's using pencils instead of drum sticks, cause treble is rather thinnish and light. It's hard to describe sound impressions half-decently, but I hope you get the picture.

Quote:
and I thought the high boost filter doesn't change the rest of the spectrum, well, according to joker

"Tuning filters are - by nature – subtractive. They shape the sound by attenuating some frequencies over others. In the case of the K3003, the Treble Boost filter is just a grille, taking nothing away from the unfiltered sound. It provides a bright but refined signature, with plenty of treble that is really quite smooth for a TWFK-based earphone. There is no problem with treble quality when it comes to the Treble Boost filter but the quantity may push the tolerance limits for some, causing long-term listening fatigue."

Seems like a free treble boost...

Yeah, I can't explain why, but the K3003 don't sound that smooth to me with treble filters. Maybe it's because of the tolerance limit that Joker's talking about. No idea why they'd lose some dynamics either, but that's how I heard it. Anyway, there's already plenty of treble with the reference filters, in my book.

Quote:
Since K3003 uses BA driver for mids and treble, it's more brassy than FX700 right?
and is there an IEM with qualities like FX700, but with more treble presence and extension, brass treble, slightly less bass, non-laid back mid-range?
Is AKG K3003 a candidate? 

Brassy treble = check, slightly less bass = check, non laid-back mids = check. As for more treble presence, probably not on an absolute scale. But if you EQ down the midbass on your FX700, treble will gain presence as a result. That's about the K3003's balance with reference filters.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #643 of 7,998
Hi,
Have anyone posted a comparison between IE800 and EX1000? Can please link me to the particular post?

Thanks!

From what I gathered from james444, I felt IE800 is a IE80 on weed. Enhanced, but still maintain the house signature.
Am I wrong?

Dec 8, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #644 of 7,998
I give you an example: listen to this track from about 03:00 to 04:00. There's the vibes on the left, Dave on bass in the middle and the drummer at the right. I believe he's mainly working the hi-hat, so that may not be ideal, but still good enough to illustrate what I mean. I've seen Dave Holland live a few times and he usually stands a few steps back and leaves the center stage to his soloists.

Anyway, listening to this piece with the IE800, Dave sounds as if he's playing totally front/center, cause bass is noticeably enhanced. The vibes on the left sound about right and very natural (the Senn's mids are really marvellous). However, the drummer on the right sounds almost as if he's using pencils instead of drum sticks, cause treble is rather thinnish and light. It's hard to describe sound impressions half-decently, but I hope you get the picture.

Yeah, I can't explain why, but the K3003 don't sound that smooth to me with treble filters. Maybe it's because of the tolerance limit that Joker's talking about. No idea why they'd lose some dynamics either, but that's how I heard it. Anyway, there's already plenty of treble with the reference filters, in my book.

Brassy treble = check, slightly less bass = check, non laid-back mids = check. As for more treble presence, probably not on an absolute scale. But if you EQ down the midbass on your FX700, treble will gain presence as a result. That's about the K3003's balance with reference filters.

Ok I see.
For the bass, I thought K3003 has significant less bass?
I know it has less bass than FX700 by some amount. But I hope it has equal or more than EX1000.

And which has better instrument separation, 3D presentation?
And does K3003 has more extended treble on reference or high boost filter than IE 800?
Deep bass extension is about the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back