Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 5, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #616 of 7,998
Happy Birthday, Ultrazino!
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #617 of 7,998
Quote:
A good example of what I mean is my former IE80s. After tap modding them and using silver cable they were a lot faster than previously. Music that was very busy and sounded slow before actually flowed quite well after the mod. The drivers were always fast just the mid bass was clouding everything. Note I didn't use EQ to achieve this. I haven't had much of any good results with EQ so I just stay away from it. One reason why I sold the FX700 because bass and treble are just too much on it. Only at very low listening were they neutral and I wanted more volume than that for general listening. I tried using EQ even on the EX1000 to get rid of the treble spikes. It just sounded lifeless and dull with the EQ.

It really depends on the eq and eq-ing skills. I tried to make the ie80 sound better (with the tape, which helps somehow, and by equing) but in the end I gave up, they always sound slow and too forgiving.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #621 of 7,998
Got four of my IEM loaners back today, the FAD Adagio V, Ortofon e-Q7, Sony EX600 and Yamaha EPH100. On a whim, I decided to A/B them to the IE800 for a short listen...

All of the forementioned phones are significantly less expensive than the Senns, and to make it short, none of them can really hold a candle to the IE800. But still, when I finally got to the Yamahas, my jaw dropped a bit. Turns out the IE800 sound just like some kind of "Super EPH100", with a tad less exaggerated and better defined bass, slightly more detailed but quite similar mids, and slightly thinner, smoother and more present highs. Needless to say, the Senns are more refined overall and the Yamahas sound undeniably rather coarse in comparison, but nevertheless, their similarity in sound signature (not only in tonality, but also in attack/decay characteristics) is quite remarkable imo.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not out to disparage the IE800 as a just some more refined EPH100s. But their sonic affinity seems worth mentioning, and I can imagine the Senns being a perfect upgrade for someone who loves the Yamahas and wants something noticeably better in a similar vein.

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #622 of 7,998
Quote:
Got four of my IEM loaners back today, the FAD Adagio V, Ortofon e-Q7, Sony EX600 and Yamaha EPH100. On a whim, I decided to A/B them to the IE800 for a short listen...

All of the forementioned phones are significantly less expensive than the Senns, and to make it short, none of them can really hold a candle to the IE800. But still, when I finally got to the Yamahas, my jaw dropped a bit. Turns out the IE800 sound just like some kind of "Super EPH100", with a tad less exaggerated and better defined bass, slightly more detailed but quite similar mids, and slightly thinner, smoother and more present highs. Needless to say, the Senns are more refined overall and the Yamahas sound undeniably rather coarse in comparison, but nevertheless, their similarity in sound signature (not only in tonality, but also in attack/decay characteristics) is quite remarkable imo.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not out to disparage the IE800 as a just some more refined EPH100s. But their sonic affinity seems worth mentioning, and I can imagine the Senns being a perfect upgrade for someone who loves the Yamahas and wants something noticeably better in a similar vein.

popcorn.gif

and how your IEM loan work? You just loan it to people on head-fi? 
confused.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #623 of 7,998
Quote:
popcorn.gif

and how your IEM loan work? You just loan it to people on head-fi? 
confused.gif

EX1000 and K3003 are back home too, and I hope to find the time for a proper A/B comparison on the weekend...

Every now and then I organize a loan tour, usually with just one of my IEMs. But if I've known someone for a long time and they've proven trustworthy, they might get a whole set at once to help them with a buying decision.

Quote:
Happy Birthday, Ultrazino!
beerchug.gif

X2! (late, I'm afraid :/)

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #624 of 7,998
EX1000 and K3003 are back home too, and I hope to find the time for a proper A/B comparison on the weekend...

Every now and then I organize a loan tour, usually with just one of my IEMs. But if I've known someone for a long time and they've proven trustworthy, they might get a whole set at once to help them with a buying decision.

Can't wait for the comparison!! If you are short on time, a quick comparison is much appreciated.
Just some A/B with IE 800, K3003, and FX700 for the bass/treble quantity/quality, soundstage, 3D.
I mean if you can't tell the difference between IE 800 and K3003 within a couple minutes, then I "should" buy the IE 800 since I can get it almost $400 cheaper.
Well, I guess not comparing a "simple" song of course. I expect some noticeable differences between them in a "complex" song, at least.

I asked someone on a Chinese forum for his/her opinion as well. That person has both IE 800 and K3003. I won't tell you what he said yet. I'll tell you after your comparison. It might create bias 
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #625 of 7,998
Quote:
Can't wait for the comparison!! If you are short on time, a quick comparison is much appreciated.
Just some A/B with IE 800, K3003, and FX700 for the bass/treble quantity/quality, soundstage, 3D.
I mean if you can't tell the difference between IE 800 and K3003 within a couple minutes, then I "should" buy the IE 800 since I can get it almost $400 cheaper.
Well, I guess not comparing a "simple" song of course. I expect some noticeable differences between them in a "complex" song, at least.
I asked someone on a Chinese forum for his/her opinion as well. That person has both IE 800 and K3003. I won't tell you what he said yet. I'll tell you after your comparison. It might create bias 
wink.gif

Without also contributing to the "bias," I'll just simply mention that, at least for me, the IE800 and K3003 have a different sound signature. Which one you prefer is largely up to you, but I definitely like the IE800 sound more. At least to my (rather untrained) ears, the K3003 sounds a tad like the Westone 4R.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #626 of 7,998
Quote:

I wonder what's your conception of a "simple" vs. "complex" song? I usually choose exceptionally well recorded music for critical listening, like the Diana Krall song I posted earlier. The "complexity" lies in the details imo, e.g. a cymbal's tone color and weight, the sustain after it is struck. Seemingly "simple" sound information, that's actually incredibly "complex" to reproduce in a realistic way. You can tell a lot about a phone's treble quality from only a few cymbal strokes, if you just listen closely.

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #628 of 7,998
Quote:
Without also contributing to the "bias," I'll just simply mention that, at least for me, the IE800 and K3003 have a different sound signature. Which one you prefer is largely up to you, but I definitely like the IE800 sound more. At least to my (rather untrained) ears, the K3003 sounds a tad like the Westone 4R.

I wouldn't worry about "bias", since I already know a few other person's opinion on the IE800 and don't think it changed my own view of the Senns. I did a short "warm-up" with the IE800 and K3003 today and agree that they have different signatures, as well as strengths and weaknesses. To my pleasant surprise, the IE800 actually managed to outshine the K3003 with the classical piece I tried (though I still liked the K3003 better with most of the other tracks).

Afaik K3003 and W4 share TWFK for mid/highs (though I think it's a different version). That would explain some similarity. The W4 are stellar bang/buck imo.

Quote:
Based on your initial impressions, I doubt the IE800 will outperform the EX1000.

I somehow doubt it too, but never say never. The Senns really surprised me today, in a good way (see above).
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #629 of 7,998
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about "bias", since I already know a few other person's opinion on the IE800 and don't think it changed my own view of the Senns. I did a short "warm-up" with the IE800 and K3003 today and agree that they have different signatures, as well as strengths and weaknesses. To my pleasant surprise, the IE800 actually managed to outshine the K3003 with the classical piece I tried (though I still liked the K3003 better with most of the other tracks).

Afaik K3003 and W4 share TWFK for mid/highs (though I think it's a different version). That would explain some similarity. The W4 are stellar bang/buck imo.

I somehow doubt it too, but never say never. The Senns really surprised me today, in a good way (see above).
wink.gif

I am here assuming that the IE800 still inherits the main characters of the IE80. IMO the IE80 does an excellent job on chamber music & piano/violin concertos, solo piano, but the EX1000 easily outperforms the IE80 in symphonies. Also from my own experience the EX1000 has even improved after let's say 6 months of burn ins. I hardly notice any sibilance now and the upper frequency treble is non issue. In fact I enjoy the upper frequency treble.

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #630 of 7,998

Quote:

I wonder what's your conception of a "simple" vs. "complex" song? I usually choose exceptionally well recorded music for critical listening, like the Diana Krall song I posted earlier. The "complexity" lies in the details imo, e.g. a cymbal's tone color and weight, the sustain after it is struck. Seemingly "simple" sound information, that's actually incredibly "complex" to reproduce in a realistic way. You can tell a lot about a phone's treble quality from only a few cymbal strokes, if you just listen closely.

simple song - not that many instruments playing together at once. I don't know
complex song - lots of instruments playing together at once.

oh, and FX700's cymbal sounds a bit thin, not "brassy". But the are textures on the cymbal strokes though.

I mainly listen to rock though.
Which one is close to a FX700, with a more extended treble, stronger treble presence, non-laid back mids, and slightly less bass? lol
tongue.gif

and what's TWFK? 
confused.gif

and correct me if I'm wrong, I thought W4 has less treble presence than FX700?
I remember you and joker, as well as others told me K3003 has similar treble presence as FX700 when using High Boost filter. Well, unless you compared it with reference filter.

James I am looking forward to your A/B's between the IE800 and the EX1000. Based on your initial impressions, I doubt the IE800 will outperform the EX1000.

lol, seems like you are trying to make sure that IE800 won't outperform EX1000.
Based on the impression people on the Chinese forums I've read, IE800 still beats the EX1000 by sound quality overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back