Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jan 25, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #4,638 of 7,998
is there any information of there being a driver re-tune or anything like that?

all the reviews say how bass heavy it is but mine arent, it only comes in when its needed.

Mine are like what you are describing hearing, too.

If people are very used to the typical iem sub-bass anemia (plus variances in listening levels, fit, music types, etc.) , then the ie800's north of neutral sub-bass and punch can seem like a lot.

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #4,639 of 7,998
If people are very used to the typical iem sub-bass anemia 

yeah sounds about right, BAs never helped with this either.

oh well wether its bass heavy or not it sounds great to me. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 25, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #4,640 of 7,998

yeah sounds about right, BAs never helped with this either.

oh well wether its bass heavy or not it sounds great to me. 
beerchug.gif

It depend on the source also.Very tight,balanced and somewhat flat but extremely detailed with Cayin N6.A little bit more bass heavy although still controlled with ZX2,with a hair slower decay which i like,but then dynamics although more detailed than armature in bass department are usually slower in responsiveness and decay .Btw,when did Plenue D come out,i think i missed some episodes :).

Jan 25, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #4,641 of 7,998
  It depend on the source also.Very tight,balanced and somewhat flat but extremely detailed with Cayin N6.A little bit more bass heavy although still controlled with ZX2,with a hair slower decay which i like,but then dynamics although more detailed than armature in bass department are usually slower in responsiveness and decay .Btw,when did Plenue D come out,i think i missed some episodes :).

yeah like the HD650 i used to own i noticed these IE800 scale well with different levels of hardware quality. (sound great from a Galaxy S6 too)

plenue d, i think it was sometime early this month, a few places have only just started getting it in stock.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #4,644 of 7,998
  is there any information of there being a driver re-tune or anything like that?

all the reviews say how bass heavy it is but mine arent, it only comes in when its needed.

It only comes on when it's needed, but it is larger in quantity than it's high end peers. 

This is how it should be stated. IE800 bass is not that much, nor bloated, nor uncalled for. IT is there, makes itself felt, but never too much, only when the song calls for it. 

Because I became obsessed with perfect transients, Fiio X5II provides the tightest, most controlled bass, while adding Fiio E12A makes the bass more natural, and real-life-like. 

The entire sound will scale immensely with source.

BTW, I just tested Ie800 with Fiio X7. My reaction was something like [
basshead.gif
]. Amazing sound overall, even a step further than X5II, I loved it. 

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #4,645 of 7,998
Getting back on the "how much sounded is the IE 800?/re-tuning" topic:

They're quite sounded and "gimmicky" (the v-shape is undeniable if someone is coming from a more neutral monitor), but on a quite high technical level and with a quick and fast bass response, hence it doesn't seem overdone or bloated.

The people who are familiar with how our hearing sounds will also know that at low listening levels, the frequencies that take place in what we call midrange are perceived stronger than the lows and highs, wherefore a v-shaped sound sounds subjectively more correct when listening at rather low levels (remember Yamaha's variable loudness?).

Then, on the outside, low frequencies are being masked by ambient noise, especially in scenarios like undergrounds, buses, trains, airplanes and even when just walking.

And finally (except for the seal thing as I guess most people are getting a decent fit and seal), many IEMs are quite sounded and far from being bass-shy or flat, so the IE 800 may appear not too sounded. Who's willing to try something extremely flat/neutral should check out the Etymotic ER-4S, probably closest an IEM has come to neutrality ever.

Tor portable use, I kind of like IE 800s' tonality from time to time although it is not the most natural one.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #4,646 of 7,998

It only comes on when it's needed, but it is larger in quantity than it's high end peers. 

This is how it should be stated. IE800 bass is not that much, nor bloated, nor uncalled for. IT is there, makes itself felt, but never too much, only when the song calls for it. 

Because I became obsessed with perfect transients, Fiio X5II provides the tightest, most controlled bass, while adding Fiio E12A makes the bass more natural, and real-life-like. 

basshead.gif

Now you know how i felt when i tested them with Cayin N6 which is on the same level soundwise with Fiio X7.I have to say though that the best player to pair the ie800 currently and get truly high end performance would by QP1R because of it's high single ended performance.Unfortunately times have caught  up with sennheiser and the lack of non removable cables hurts it.After i reveived the TRRS plug for ZX2 which provides separate grounds for L/R channel the sound quality of stock player increased dramatically in all sonic aspects.The se846 with TRRS is beyond what ie800 can achieve with ZX2 in soundstage,dynamics,fullness of sound,tonal density,treble detail,spatial positioning,basically everything apart from air and treble energy.

The same thing with the Onkyo DP-X1 a $700 player with balance out if it can sound even better on a technical level than ZX2+TRRS then iems like ie800 may become obsolete if more dap manufacturers start going this route to increase sonic performance.

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #4,647 of 7,998

basshead.gif

good to know, ill be testing them out with a few different daps in the coming months.

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #4,648 of 7,998
so after listening for a couple weeks i noticed these things are best used at high volumes like most sennheiser headphones/earphones.

brings out the midrange and sub bass better than lower volumes its mostly treble focused.

imo i think they would benifit from amping they seem to like power.

(quick question, does the trebble seem slightly grainy or is it jus me not hearing treble properly before?)

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #4,649 of 7,998
Hey Guys,

It would be very interesting which Tips you like the best for the Ie800.

Would like to try other ones.

Here is my list

1. Dunu White Tips (great Sound overall, but isolation is weak)
2. Dunu Blue Complys ( Good Sound, but bass is a little bit too much, Isolating very well)
3. My Diy Molds (Superb Sound, but leaking =(

Greetings Flo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back