Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Dec 30, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #4,591 of 7,998
I just bought myself a Burson Soloist, never though it would really scale this well with a very chunky powerful amp. I was quite surprised!

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #4,592 of 7,998
So, I've heard on more than one occasion (both here, and in other threads) about how the IE800 really performs its best when it has a lot of power driving it. And I've been wondering about perhaps toying around with a portable amp to see just how true that statement is.

I don't have any intention of diving into the deep end and getting something like a Mojo. Instead, I'd prefer to stay somewhere in the $100-$300 USD range. And I'd prefer to just get an amp. I'm not really looking for an amp/DAC combo, but I'm not opposed to them, necessarily.

Anyway, in my preliminary searching, I've got my eye on a few possibilities. From low-end to high end they are:

Fiio E12 Mont Blanc
Cayin C5
Oppo HA-2

Does anyone have any experience with any of these + IE800? Or does anyone have any other recommendations in the lower to mid price range for a good portable amp which pairs well with the IE800?

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #4,593 of 7,998
  So, I've heard on more than one occasion (both here, and in other threads) about how the IE800 really performs its best when it has a lot of power driving it. And I've been wondering about perhaps toying around with a portable amp to see just how true that statement is.

I don't have any intention of diving into the deep end and getting something like a Mojo. Instead, I'd prefer to stay somewhere in the $100-$300 USD range. And I'd prefer to just get an amp. I'm not really looking for an amp/DAC combo, but I'm not opposed to them, necessarily.

Anyway, in my preliminary searching, I've got my eye on a few possibilities. From low-end to high end they are:

Fiio E12 Mont Blanc
Cayin C5
Oppo HA-2

Does anyone have any experience with any of these + IE800? Or does anyone have any other recommendations in the lower to mid price range for a good portable amp which pairs well with the IE800?

i had E12A and would not fully advise towards it. It will smooth the treble, make it a little veiled, and make the soundstage smaller. It could be yout cup of tea though. 

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #4,594 of 7,998
I'm still using my single ended with Onkyo so I went with LA Traveller as my portable amp. Their line of products are pretty much the "official" third party amp for Senheisser, it doesn't color the sound but it gives more oomph to the lower end. I'll put it like this, listening directly through DP-X1 sounds like i'm in a studio but once it is amped, it feels as if I'm in a live show with not so big stage so the sounds are not loose and saturated.

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #4,595 of 7,998

Fiio E12 Mont Blanc

Cayin C5

Oppo HA-2

If you are willing to spend, the mojo is pretty much the way to go.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #4,596 of 7,998
If you are willing to spend, the mojo is pretty much the way to go.

Agreed. I spent a little time at Christmas with the Mojo/IE800 combination and it works very well. Also, the Mojo is extraordinary value for money.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #4,597 of 7,998
Agreed. I spent a little time at Christmas with the Mojo/IE800 combination and it works very well. Also, the Mojo is extraordinary value for money.

Yes it is really good value considering other devices that cost alot more. And the difference in sound quality improvement over a phone with and without is alot noticeable when compared to ha 2 (as I have that and now sold)

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #4,598 of 7,998
Yes it is really good value considering other devices that cost alot more. And the difference in sound quality improvement over a phone with and without is alot noticeable when compared to ha 2 (as I have that and now sold)

The joke is that I bought my son the Mojo for Christmas. I received the IE800 from someone else. I now want the Mojo for myself! Still, I should probably wait for a Hugo (or Hugo II).

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #4,599 of 7,998

The joke is that I bought my son the Mojo for Christmas. I received the IE800 from someone else. I now want the Mojo for myself! Still, I should probably wait for a Hugo (or Hugo II).

Why not buy 2 mojos then? 

Hugo could be pretty well the best DAC/amp I heard to date, but that price is high. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #4,600 of 7,998

Fiio E12 Mont Blanc
Cayin C5
Oppo HA-2

I find the E12A (a fixed version of the crowd favorite combo of the E12 DIY) to be absolutely incredible pairing. IMO FiiO has the only bass boost feature I've ever regularly used on ANY electronic I've owned in 34 years.   If you don't have full size can's that you want to drive I much preferred the sound of my E12A to my buddies E12.  He uses it for his full sized closed headphones while travelling, I use the E12A almost exclusively with IEM's and portable can's.

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #4,601 of 7,998
  I find the E12A (a fixed version of the crowd favorite combo of the E12 DIY) to be absolutely incredible pairing. IMO FiiO has the only bass boost feature I've ever regularly used on ANY electronic I've owned in 34 years.   If you don't have full size can's that you want to drive I much preferred the sound of my E12A to my buddies E12.  He uses it for his full sized closed headphones while travelling, I use the E12A almost exclusively with IEM's and portable can's.

I found that E12A is very very good and solves treble problems for those who want smoother top end, but I wanted exactly the opposite, it took spark out for me. 

Also, about Bass, E12A has not enough detailed bass. The bass is very strong, deep, and texture might be good, but with X5II it is tighter, and I also wanted tighter bass, in result, I sold E12A, in favor of using X5II alone with Ie800. 

One should never buy without testing, because one might know how to express exactly what he/she wants. For example, I belived for most of my life that I wanted a smooth top end, but recently, after dabbling in high end audio, I discovered that I rather enjoy energic, over-expressed, bright, and sparkling treble
biggrin.gif
 [For the reference, live treble is much brighter, more painful than Ie800 could even express it, I did drum at some point, and hitting a cymbal would never leave you without a pain and tinnitus, even slightly hitting a real live cymbal will produce a much stronger sound that it is expressed by 90% of headphones and is engineered in music]

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #4,602 of 7,998
Hi mates,

I want to buy a new dap instead of my old dx50 and i am hoping that the new dap will be a good combo with my IE800. Which dap do you recommend for IE800, considering that IE800 have a slightly treble peak? (yes, i'm a bit treble sensitive) I see that X5ii has a nice synergy with IE800 but i can't decide whether to buy a Cayin N5 or to buy X5ii. The HM650 is another dap to pick up(as an option). Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy Mojo, my limit is up to $360. 

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #4,604 of 7,998
Thanks for your answer. @HiFiChris

I heard good things about DX80, but i can't get it because of custom restrictions. Otherwise, my first preference is DX80. I forgot to mention, sorry.

The other daps have no risk like that. I wish i could buy an used dx80 from my country, but i have to buy it via credit card, due to lack of cash.  

Jan 9, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #4,605 of 7,998
  Thanks for your answer. @HiFiChris

I heard good things about DX80, but i can't get it because of custom restrictions. Otherwise, my first preference is DX80. I forgot to mention, sorry.

The other daps have no risk like that. I wish i could buy an used dx80 from my country, but i have to buy it via credit card, due to lack of cash.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B011NNWTDS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Throwing it out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back