Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jul 5, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #3,736 of 7,998
  Guys try the sppin fit on this, they are superb, improve isolation and reduces microphonics. The also stay on with no problem. What a nice accidental discovery. 

Could you supply a link on those, please?

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #3,737 of 7,998
for me large is needed else the fit will be too deep.

Sorry, I meant the size of the hole that fits onto the IE800. I had heard that the original models didn't fit the IE800, but then they made a larger or a smaller version that could be used with the IE800. I don't want to buy the wrong kind and not be able to use them at all. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #3,738 of 7,998
Something tells me something isn't right here, there is lots of cable noise (especially from the 2.5mm connector if that moves around) and, from an earlier post, there is definite wind noise also, very easy to pick up...

Ignoring the model I'm about to mention here, this is not a 'this IEM is better' post, yet when I moved from the IE800 to SE846, the reduction of cable noise and increase in occlusion were, at the time - worth the entry fee all on their own.

@DrGonzo
I just got rid of the IE800s after having them for about a week. I liked the overall sound signature and size/fit but found the cable noise extremely distracting. Even if I were laying down and sitting still, I could hear cable noise caused by the movement of my chest while breathing. Adding a clip helped a bit, but not nearly enough. I tried the over the ear suggestion, but it was tight around my neck and added to the problem of the cable already being too short. Isolation is not good either relative to other IEMs. Based on what you wrote, I would look elsewhere.

This was my experience the first time I put it in ear. Then I raised the rubber thingy and it muted all noise. 

Also, I can wear them over the ear, mode in which there is zero cable noise, and comfort is very good.

I should say that I also have a great seal. You must feel the seal, ike when you push, if you are listening to music, you can hear the driver flex a little, and if you try to slowly take them out, you should hear again the driver flex. And feel it like some kind of pressure. 

Ie800 needs a very good seal to sound their best, sometimes the seal if lost if it was not a true seal from the start. After getting a good seal, they are un-beat-able. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #3,739 of 7,998
Something tells me something isn't right here, there is lots of cable noise (especially from the 2.5mm connector if that moves around) and, from an earlier post, there is definite wind noise also, very easy to pick up...

Ignoring the model I'm about to mention here, this is not a 'this IEM is better' post, yet when I moved from the IE800 to SE846, the reduction of cable noise and increase in occlusion were, at the time - worth the entry fee all on their own.

I agree, there is cable noise. Shirt clip and cinch mitigates that problem.
It definitely pick wind noise, due to the shape of the housing. There's no way around that. Noise isolation is also very bad, even on a medium traffic.
These are definitely not meant for active use.

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #3,740 of 7,998
I use custom mold tips for the IE800 and don't notice the cable noise anymore.  I think it's the way the standard tips worked.  I remember whenever I got a good seal with them, the cable noise, foot steps etc was pretty annoying.  With the custom molds I don't notice any of that.  

As far as noise isolation, I can hear some outside noise, but not a lot.  I can't understand what people are saying, just get a hint of it.  Higher frequency sounds like keys jingling tend to be more audible than stuff like speech.  I never hear wind noise.  I'm guessing they are related to the stock tips.  So for me the custom tips were what saved the earphones for me.  Otherwise it was going in the trade bin.  

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #3,741 of 7,998

Could you supply a link on those, please?

Sorry, I meant the size of the hole that fits onto the IE800. I had heard that the original models didn't fit the IE800, but then they made a larger or a smaller version that could be used with the IE800. I don't want to buy the wrong kind and not be able to use them at all. 

It came with my Kaede II if that is any help for you guys. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #3,743 of 7,998
Yes, over-ear is mandatory for me – otherwise the cable noise is unbearable –, as is equalizing.

I finally decided to remove the rubber slider meant for cable-noise reduction. Since it didn't stay in place, it was of no use anyway. Now the wearing comfort is increased by 8 mm.
tongue_smile.gif

I use large ovals, which provide quite good isolation.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #3,745 of 7,998
  Hi guys!

One question: how does the IE800 sound compared to the Audeze EL-8? I would drive it with my Sony NWZ-F886 DAP.

Better in almost every way. 

They have more bass, more treble, more details, sound less relaxed, more energic, izolate better, soundstage is similar size. 

But comparation is not very usefull, because EL8 is amp dependent. Ie800 is pretty much amp dependent too. 

For example, with my fiio e12a, the soundstage is expansive and with a lot of depth. With my x5 alone the soundstage is more shallow,, and the treble is more energic, but the soundstage wins a lot in width, being very much around you, but less depth. Layering is amazing on both.  

You can read some reviews for ie800. I tried EL8, and did not like it. The treble has roloff, is too smooth, bass is better extended on ie800, though it is great on el8 too. I kind of dislike all audeze because they are very heavy for me to wear. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #3,747 of 7,998

Wonder how you're achieving this, my experience has been quite different: average isolation (clearly less than Shure / Westone / Ety) and noticeable wind noise from the back vent.

The better isolation can be achieved by deep insertion or by having a large body. IE800 doesn't have either of those, in fact quite the contrary. One can see George is quite enthusiastic about his new IE800, but these are not the end of all IEMs.

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #3,748 of 7,998

The better isolation can be achieved by deep insertion or by having a large body. IE800 doesn't have either of those, in fact quite the contrary. One can see George is quite enthusiastic about his new IE800, but these are not the end of all IEMs.

There will never be and end of IEMs. But there can be a step after which you do not feel the need to go anymore. 

I do insert ie800 mid-deep, not shallow, maybe this has a word to say. I use oval large, to have a good soundstage, and for me the insertion is slow and sometimes hurts, so it might be a reason for which I get great isolation and sound, and no microphonics?

On the other hand, trying to get anything else after you have ie800, I can only see one trying to get more soundstage. rest is pretty much enough and very likely the end of it all. And I do doubt that there will be possible to put more soundstage in an IEM. 

I do like ie800, and I am a hard to please man. I actually was not entirely happy with any headphone / IEM before Ie800, but I always accepted the deffects. Now, I do not feel that I need to accept any more deffects, as I see none. 

I still use my full headphones sometimes, and there are days when I am not in the mood for it, so yes, I do think that there can be better, but no much better.... This being said, I can live happy with ie800, and stop searching for better IEMs. Now to focus on some headphones that I can like as much......

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,749 of 7,998
IME the k3003 as well as Layla have a bigger 'soundstage' as in a larger stereo image. Layla sounds to me pretty much like a full sized hp in that respect. And from reading about the similarities between k3003 and 1plus2, I think it's safe to put that one on the list too.

What I would really be very interested to see, although I doubt it will ever happen, is Sennheiser making a 2-way IEM based on the IE800 technology. I think THAT could be indeed something threatening for other manufacturers if they will get the FR right.

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #3,750 of 7,998
  There will never be and end of IEMs. But there can be a step after which you do not feel the need to go anymore. 

I do insert ie800 mid-deep, not shallow, maybe this has a word to say. I use oval large, to have a good soundstage, and for me the insertion is slow and sometimes hurts, so it might be a reason for which I get great isolation and sound, and no microphonics?

On the other hand, trying to get anything else after you have ie800, I can only see one trying to get more soundstage. rest is pretty much enough and very likely the end of it all. And I do doubt that there will be possible to put more soundstage in an IEM. 

I do like ie800, and I am a hard to please man. I actually was not entirely happy with any headphone / IEM before Ie800, but I always accepted the deffects. Now, I do not feel that I need to accept any more deffects, as I see none. 

I still use my full headphones sometimes, and there are days when I am not in the mood for it, so yes, I do think that there can be better, but no much better.... This being said, I can live happy with ie800, and stop searching for better IEMs. Now to focus on some headphones that I can like as much......

Agree.

Before I picked up IE800 myself I've never heard of them. I've never even read this topic before I bought them becuse I didn't care. The only thing I cared was I must get them at all cost. I just picked them up among others and trusted my ears. Only then I asked the guy from who I demoed them about the name of the IEMs and about their price. Only then I learnt that they are called IE800. There's simply no better IEM for me, end of story.

I also never been bothered by so called "microfonics". Since everyone here is speaking about it, I could not but help myself googling what this thing is. I got the idea, but I'm not bothered by it anyway. Maybe I don't notice it, maybe I don't have it. Maybe I don't run around the block with my headphone cable dangling all around causing the phenomena. Have no idea. 
confused_face(1).gif

I also can't ask for more soundstage because this is simply impossible in IEMs because of their nature. When I'm on the go I use IE800 and when I'm at home, I use my fullsize cans or if I'm too lazy to reach out for them I can end up listening to IE800. Not much of a difference. There is but not much, mainly due to the fact that there's more air to pump in fullsized headphones and this is where the difference comes from. That's all. Satisfied with IEMs 100%. Staisfied with my full size cans 100% after comparing them against more expensive and famous headphones. Not looking any further in headphones market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back