Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Jan 16, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #2,746 of 7,998
Guys, let's not get ahead of ourselves.
This happened to the HD-800s and other headphones as well in the last month. Most probably new year stock shortages...

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #2,748 of 7,998
Definitely a lot of speculation going on lately, lets hope for the recent buyers they aren't releasing an 801...

Could you cite a time in the recent past when Sennheiser has released an "x01" model which replaces the "x00" model?

Because otherwise it's not meaningful talk at all.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #2,749 of 7,998
Just because they have not done that before does not mean they never will.

If they follow recent upgrades they will call it the ie8000.
If they upgrade the cable only I'm willing to accept ie850 any number higher is taking the piss.

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,750 of 7,998
IE900 is coming.
L3000.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #2,751 of 7,998
Jan 16, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #2,752 of 7,998
I don't know about IE 900 but IE 8888.8888 certainly is!!! :D

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #2,753 of 7,998
  IE900 is coming.
L3000.gif

LOL!  Classic!

I highly doubt it.
  I have no clue....just speculation but I imagine IE800 was very expensive to get to market.  From materials to stretching the tolerances of what a dynamic can do? ....to tuning and re-tuning...to get it all right.....prototypes, corrected models, new prototypes....getting the whole chain of material suppliers to make and acquire those new materials.......it is not cheap. This is all a very expensive process when you consider you could have 5-8 different material suppliers involved in any new tweaks.   But it seems in the end........they got it right!

I suspect nothing new coming from Senn for a couple years.   You have an $800 IEM projecting the same kind of highly detailed sound that is surpassing a $1200 custom (JH13).
I mean, where do they go from here?

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:10 AM Post #2,754 of 7,998
IE900 was just wishful thinking. :)

IE80 was released near the end of 2011. IE800 was released in early 2013. Two years have passed. I think it's natural to expect a new TOTL IEM from Sennheiser after 2 years. Rivals have been doing amazing things. Noble K10 Universal, Earsonics Velvet are both great IEMs, and new ones keep coming. Are they better than IE800? That's subjective. There are areas Sennheiser can improve though.

- They can improve fit. Yeah comfort is great, but they kept falling from my ears when I had them.
- Another thing is we need a damn iPhone cable. There's an Android cable which is very expensive. Like their new Momentum IEMs, they should include phone cables too. In fact one phone cable and one regular cable.
- Cables should be removable.
- Microphonics of the cable should be reduced.
- A portable amp released by Sennheiser to drive these to their full potential (as well as Momentum, Urbanite etc.) would be good. HDVD800 or HDVA600 in mini form. We don't need a dac though (mobile phones have decent dacs now).
- Obviously improvement of sound quality is important too. I'm sure they can improve it. Maybe the option to tune the sound like SE846 or Earsonics Velvet? That'd be good.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #2,755 of 7,998
  IE900 was just wishful thinking. :)

IE80 was released near the end of 2011. IE800 was released in early 2013. Two years have passed. I think it's natural to expect a new TOTL IEM from Sennheiser after 2 years. Rivals have been doing amazing things. Noble K10 Universal, Earsonics Velvet are both great IEMs, and new ones keep coming. Are they better than IE800? That's subjective. There are areas Sennheiser can improve though.

- They can improve fit. Yeah comfort is great, but they kept falling from my ears when I had them.
- Another thing is we need a damn iPhone cable. There's an Android cable which is very expensive. Like their new Momentum IEMs, they should include phone cables too. In fact one phone cable and one regular cable.
- Cables should be removable.
- Microphonics of the cable should be reduced.
- A portable amp released by Sennheiser to drive these to their full potential (as well as Momentum, Urbanite etc.) would be good. HDVD800 or HDVA600 in mini form. We don't need a dac though (mobile phones have decent dacs now).
- Obviously improvement of sound quality is important too. I'm sure they can improve it. Maybe the option to tune the sound like SE846 or Earsonics Velvet? That'd be good.

Great points!  [Except to tune like SE846.  That would RUIN it!.  SE846 has a bad upper midrange lower treble spike (as SE535 has).  It is a compensation for a lack of an extended treble but really hurts/fatigues the ears when you throw in a forward midrange.  I had to return it after 3 days.  Prefer even the W30 over it.]

IE800 are not for active lifestyle.  I can ride a stationary bike or Stairmaster and may need to adjust every 5 min or so which is no big deal but no way I could see lifteing weights or running with IE800.  But I have my custom JH5 for that.

I think microphonics are always overstated.  Regardless of the cable, when you walk or run you create internal microphonics already.
But IE800 should be considered for passive lifestyle listening sessions only unless they improve on that.

IE800 is really just one of those IEM's you gotta try for an hour as a departure from the normal Shure/Westone mid bass dominant presentation.  The extra air and clarity is so refreshing.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2,756 of 7,998
  I think microphonics are always overstated.  Regardless of the cable, when you walk or run you create internal microphonics already.
But IE800 should be considered for passive lifestyle listening sessions only unless they improve on that.

I frequently use my IE800 for walking / hiking, but with a wireless BT-receiver. They have zero microphonics when you wear the cable over-ears and down the neck, and almost negligible occlusion effects due to their low weight and shallow fit.

Wireless headset: Using only the upper part of the cable together with a Nokia AD-53 adapter (2.5 to 3.5mm) and a wireless dongle like the Samsung HS3000 is a convenient solution. In fact this is how I use the IE800 for commuting, either cable down with the dongle clipped to my jacket, or over the ear with the dongle clipped to the shirt collar behind my neck. The latter is extremely handy and devoid of all microphonics, but obviously I can't use the dongle for phone calls that way.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #2,757 of 7,998
Hey guys, I'm using my ie800 with a AK120II as my portable setup. Been contemplating the idea of getting a portable amp to go along with it. Do you guys think a headphone amp would be beneficial or would I be wasiting my money. If I do get the amp, i'm thinking of a Chord Hugo.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #2,758 of 7,998
  Hey guys, I'm using my ie800 with a AK120II as my portable setup. Been contemplating the idea of getting a portable amp to go along with it. Do you guys think a headphone amp would be beneficial or would I be wasiting my money. If I do get the amp, i'm thinking of a Chord Hugo.

AK120II sounds great and is powerful in my opinion, you don't need an amp. If I were you, I'd buy new headphones with the money.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #2,759 of 7,998

Chord Hugo would be the ultimate if you can purchase, then the AK will only transport the music as the DAC in the Hugo is better....would be a nice combination.....as I was going to do the same with the 240 until I sold them ...but still waiting on the Hugo to arrive at the shop ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back