Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Nov 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2,431 of 7,998
That`s a bit disconcerting... any specific things to look out for?, also anyone know if the authenticity code check on the Sennheiser website works for fakes?

Not much of an authenticity check if it doesn't... Though I can't imagine it working without people registering their numbers or the system logging numbers entered multiple times by different by different IPs etc, if the company making fakes just uses the same number on all of theirs from a real box =/

If his photos are correct, the numbers under the barcode of the fake are widely spaced, unlike the real one.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #2,432 of 7,998
I bought that exact same looking fake on Ebay.  Luckily the seller promptly refunded my money.  The fakes do not contain the authenticity sticker on the side of the box.  They have the UPC and barcodes on them, but no authenticity sticker.  So I knew instantly without even opening the box it was a fake.  Then when i opened it; the quality was laughable.  The cord feels like the cheapest plastic there is and the "leather" carrying case was also of awful quality.  I didn't even listen to them--the craftsmanship is shoddy at best. Bottom line, it's not worth it to try to save $100 or so to buy from an unknown dealer or seller; plus even if you do get lucky and save a few bucks and get an authentic pair--Sennheiser will not honor the warranty unless purchased from an authorized dealer listed on their website.  These are fantastic IEMs, but they have well documented issues with the cords which Sennheiser will happily warranty if purchased through an authorized dealer with a receipt.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #2,434 of 7,998
  I listened SE846 and IE800 and absolutely ie800 more detailed and better my opinion. I ordered IE800. :)

Agree.And more airy.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #2,435 of 7,998
  I listened SE846 and IE800 and absolutely ie800 more detailed and better my opinion. I ordered IE800. :)

Don't tell that to the se846 thread.You''ll get close to get lynched
biggrin.gif
.They're a cult over there.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #2,436 of 7,998
  Don't tell that to the se846 thread.You''ll get close to get lynched
biggrin.gif
.They're a cult over there.

I can say the same of the people here too 
tongue.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #2,438 of 7,998

I can say the same of the people here too 
tongue.gif

I can see you favor the se846 over ie800.I have both and the ie800 is indeed more detailed,airy and a hair more clear vs se846 with stock filters.You can blame the  lack of treble of se846 for that,which contributes to non fatiguing easy listening experience.Pair it with a capable amp though like pico slim and it is a different matter altogether.Fabulous combo.

The problem with the se846 is because of the impedance of different sources the bass can become really overwhelming and mingle with the other frequencies.For example through my sony f800 the bass is way too much and not as controlled as through the dx90.It is very source dependant iem.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #2,439 of 7,998
  I can see you favor the se846 over ie800.I have both and the ie800 is indeed more detailed,airy and a hair more clear vs se846 with stock filters.You can blame the  lack of treble of se846 for that,which contributes to non fatiguing easy listening experience.Pair it with a capable amp though like pico slim and it is a different matter altogether.Fabulous combo.

The problem with the se846 is because of the impedance of different sources the bass can become really overwhelming and mingle with the other frequencies.For example through my sony f800 the bass is way too much and not as controlled as through the dx90.It is very source dependant iem.

Not really, i don't favour either of them. I do like certain areas of each, e.g. Lush bass and vocals for IE800 and the layering and clarity in vocals for SE846, but there are certain points i do not favour for each. More so on the IE800 with their poor fitting, extremely short cable and brittle treble especially with cymbals.
SE846 is too vocal centric for me, i find myself focusing on the vocals more often than the music as a whole.

Btw, used AK240 so the source is pretty capable for a DAP.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #2,440 of 7,998

Not really, i don't favour either of them. I do like certain areas of each, e.g. Lush bass and vocals for IE800 and the layering and clarity in vocals for SE846, but there are certain points i do not favour for each. More so on the IE800 with their poor fitting, extremely short cable and brittle treble especially with cymbals.
SE846 is too vocal centric for me, i find myself focusing on the vocals more often than the music as a whole.

Btw, used AK240 so the source is pretty capable for a DAP.

I agree about the splashy treble of ie800.It is more extended but it gets on my nerves especially with some rock songs.That's my only gripe.That and the non detachable cable 
frown.gif

You did favor the se846 though http://www.head-fi.org/t/740661/sennheiser-ie-800-at-600-vs-akg-k3003-at-900-vs-shure-se846-at-715#post_11011808
but you're a good guy so i won't hold that against ya
smile.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #2,441 of 7,998
  I agree about the splashy treble of ie800.It is more extended but it gets on my nerves especially with some rock songs.That's my only gripe.That and the non detachable cable 
frown.gif

You did favor the se846 though http://www.head-fi.org/t/740661/sennheiser-ie-800-at-600-vs-akg-k3003-at-900-vs-shure-se846-at-715#post_11011808
but you're a good guy so i won't hold that against ya
smile.gif

lol, i guess what i mean't when i said i didn't favour either one was i that wouldn't buy either one of them. But my bad and thanks for not holding it against me
biggrin.gif
, if it means pitting against each other, the SE846 has less annoying cons.
But if they fixed that treble, i wouldn't mind getting one and fitting it into a custom shell. The IE800's lushness is quite intoxicating. Haven't heard any IEMs which has the similar signature yet..

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,443 of 7,998
I also own both the IE800 and SE846 running off the DX90. Saying one is better than the other is kind of a hard sell, because they're different in their presentation. They both do offer a similar level of refinement and technicalities in different ways. For me if I had to own just one of the two it would be the IE800, cuz I find it be better balanced and better with more types of music. The SE846 while being more colored is a more fun/enjoyable IEM when the mood strikes, while sitll offering a high level of fidelity.

Now my K3003 makes both of them sound like jokes
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2,444 of 7,998
  I also own both the IE800 and SE846 running off the DX90. Saying one is better than the other is kind of a hard sell, because they're different in their presentation. They both do offer a similar level of refinement and technicalities in different ways. For me if I had to own just one of the two it would be the IE800, cuz I find it be better balanced and better with more types of music. The SE846 while being more colored is a more fun/enjoyable IEM when the mood strikes, while sitll offering a high level of fidelity.

Now my K3003 makes both of them sound like jokes
very_evil_smiley.gif

Never thought I'd hear that... Gotta try these out man.... One day.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #2,445 of 7,998

Never thought I'd hear that... Gotta try these out man.... One day.

Definitely try them, come for the hot treble and audible difference between the dynamic driver and armatures and stay for a fun signature. They didn't win me over while the ie800 stayed in my mind until I came back and bought it again, this time to keep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back