Sennheiser IE800 IEM's
Nov 21, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #2,462 of 7,998

I've got both for a couple of months now. I do enjoy both and can't really say I favor one over the other. However, I often find the se846 boring and too dependent on the music genre.

And has no treble to speak of for a high end iem.It's made for the masses.On the se846 thread they are actually comparing it with kaizer k10 and find it on equal standing.Without hearing the k10 i can imagine it destroys it on clarity and details being top 3 ciems right now (speculating here) but it's not that hard really.Ie800 and even w60(based on web reviews) they are also more clear and transparent.

Nov 22, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #2,463 of 7,998
Quote:

I haven't opened my IE800 to check, but in all Sennheiser materials where they show the internals (such as here http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/Sennheiser_IE800_Photo_Exploded.jpg), the membrane is white - which is by the way very unusual and sort of a "trademark" for IE800. The one in taobao is transparent, as virtually all the other dynamic drivers nowadays.

That's the "in your face" hint.

Other than that, the drivers look flimsy, irrespective of the membrane colour. I think comparing this picture on taobao http://gd4.alicdn.com/imgextra/i4/1637122066/TB2rR5aaVXXXXa1XpXXXXXXXXXX-1637122066.jpg with http://www.audionet.com.tw/a/data/attachment/forum/201301/23/1435478rxjm1qv768zvtwn.jpg or with this http://www.phileweb.com/news/photo/audio/119/11909/IE800-rear.jpg is a pretty good giveaway that something is not right with the ceramic finish either...

Lastly, the barcode for which the last 5 digits are supposed to match the product number on the case (as I just learned yesterday, btw) does not look ok. At least on my original box this barcode is a sticker, on the taobao box it is obviously printed. Now I'd like to see the company manufacturing these being able to change the number for each box they print in order to match the product serial number on the case as it should...

And so on and so forth. Come to your senses and stop chasing ghosts.

haha I thought so too the price was too good to be true... thanks for the reply anyway! guess in gonna have to stick with my ie80s for the time being

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,464 of 7,998

They're all gone besides the IE800's... But now that I have JH Roxanne customs... I have to sell the IE800 
frown.gif

I have the Roxannes too but feel there is still a place for the IE800's for convenience, contrast and alternative 'isolated' listening.

IE800's are far easier to fit in a pocket when not in use.

Regards

Sceptre

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #2,465 of 7,998
 I have the Roxannes too but feel there is still a place for the IE800's for convenience, contrast and alternative 'isolated' listening.

Regards

Sceptre

I agree, I've chosen the IE800 from my desk a few times when I was rushing for school. But I think realistically I just need 1 iem and invest the IE800 money into a new DAP haha

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #2,466 of 7,998

Regards

Sceptre

I agree, I've chosen the IE800 from my desk a few times when I was rushing for school. But I think realistically I just need 1 iem and invest the IE800 money into a new DAP haha

I feel like they were made for me in this regard. I used to look down on the non-replaceable cables. But then I appreciated the size of a single dynamic driver in a small shell as it is. I used to think that the wire should be longer. Then I realized how perfectly lengthy it is for me where I'm not shoving in extra cable into my pocket. I used to think that they should've been over the ear IEMs. But then I realize, the convenience of not having to take the time to put them over your years (some over ear designs are a breeze to put on - some others.. not so much). I used to think the oval tips were a gimmick. Then I tried them and realized I get a great seal without any ear soreness or fatigue. Nothing I've used comes close to these in terms of plug and play - which is why I value them so damned much. They do everything I want how I want it. I used to think there were many design flaws until I realized how much I liked using them above anything else. Truly a mobile user's IEM.

Nov 23, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #2,467 of 7,998
Right now I'm listening to these direct from an I phone 6 after a few weeks off iems. My main rig consists of hd800/600 out of benchmark dac1 which has exclusive headtime recently. I can tell you these little bad boys kick ass!!!!! I'm having the best headtime in weeks right now from a phone and ie800.

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2,468 of 7,998
I'm copying a post I made over on the Weston W60 thread comparing the two IEMs. I hope that's OK. 

I thought nothing could surpass my beloved Sennheiser IE800s, but then I tried the W60s. 

I can't say which one I prefer, as they are just so different. It's like 2 beautiful women; who can choose? The one I'm listening to at the moment is the one I find myself preferring. :)

The IE800s are more cohesive. They have a better mid-range. 
The W60s have a bigger sound-stage. They are more airy and a little more revealing of detail. 
However, I can't get over the impression that the mid's are a little weak. Sometimes that just lets the highs and lows shine more; sometimes it feels a little unsatisfying. 

Overall, the W60s have a quality that I keep thinking to myself of in terms of a Japanese word, enryo (I live in Japan). Enryo is kind of like "reserved" but has different qualities. If you really want the last piece of something, but leave it on the table for someone else to take if they want, that's enryo. The W60s are like that: they don't force themselves on you, they kind of hang back and don't demand your focus, but if you turn your attention to the sound after thinking about something else, all the detail and beauty is there waiting for you to notice it. 

One reason for this difference is that, while the W60s have a little bit more detail, the sounds of the IE800 have a little more "sharpness" or "bite" to them. If you've done any photo editing, there is a control called "clarity" or "sharpness" or even sometimes "structure." The IE800's have this setting turned up a little higher, so each individual sound comes across as more well defined, even though there is actually not more detail there. The IE800 is like the image of a rose taken with a medium-format camera but with the clarity/sharpness turned up, while the W60s are like a large-format camera with the clarity/sharpness left at standard levels. If that makes any sense. 

I'll stop rambling now. Those are just impressions from somebody who doesn't know enough to qualify as an audiophile, I just like my sounds. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #2,469 of 7,998
When I tried the W60 I thought it was okay but noticed the same mid-bass thickness masking the lower mids a bit, just like my W4R. To be fair it was a lot less and I prolly wouldn't have zero'ed in on it without my pervious Westone 4R experience but yeah that was concerning. I did think it was nicely detailed, but a little boring and the overall impression I got was, "meh."

I sort of want to go listen to them again soon, as I'm buying up nice IEMs left and right.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #2,470 of 7,998
How is the W60 when you compare with IE800 ? Better or worse ?

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #2,471 of 7,998
is there any comparison between IE800 vs JVC FX-850?

I have already ordered IE800, but reading about fit and cable issues making me think over again. Will be able return them and want an IEM which has goo low end, I have read few reviews about JVC FX-850 and all are positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back