Sennheiser IE800 IEM's - Modding / Issues
Jun 28, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #137 of 182
I had not been on this thread for a while but saw the enormous amounts of new posts. I thought I would see what I had missed. Apsolutly Nuttin'. I would never have thought of joining a BBS with the one intention of trashing one product. That is unless I was an unscrupulous competitor. Obsession is a Perfume.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #138 of 182
I had not been on this thread for a while but saw the enormous amounts of new posts. I thought I would see what I had missed. Apsolutly Nuttin'. I would never have thought of joining a BBS with the one intention of trashing one product. That is unless I was an unscrupulous competitor. Obsession is a Perfume.

Well we run out of ideas in the thread and started taking a smashing approach to reinvigorate things.Hopefully others will take notice and start bludgeoning the iems in respective threads and we will be finally called crash-fi.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #139 of 182
  I'm really curious on those hybrid products. Though I never have any BA dirvers products now, I listened Shure 5 seires and Laozhong X2, which I helped to introduce on headfi. Though Shure is pretty good, but I think its sound is just dynamic driver sound. I really cannot get interest in those BA driver phones. I really wonder why people hype those expensive hybrid IEMs! Maybe because I almost only listen to symphony/orchestra. Mayb those are good for pop music.

Why don't you like BA iems? They can produce every kind of sound signature, and JH Audio is particularly good at bass and also the SE846. neither can put out the bass of the ie800 with the ports open, not even close, but they're good (and ie800 with ports open is wayyyyyy too much bass).

But their main benefit is that they are consistent, i.e. their sound signature won't change radically over time because a microscopic spec of dust reduced airflow from the bass port by 25%.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #141 of 182
BA earphones are just as susceptible to damage by moisture or moreso.

I stuck a needle in a BA based earphone, breaking it. Clearly, this is a design flaw.

That's not true. They're completely sealed. I've worn my SE846, JH audio and other iems in the drizzling rain many times without any damage. The only risk is that water can get into that part where the wire connects to the iem, but that's a hard spot for rain to reach unless it's pouring, and even that's pretty sealed.

And the ie800 didn't break because I poked it with a needle. It broke because its bass ports became clogged, which I tried to fix by using a needle to open them, which opened them too much (by rupturing the paper) making them unusable. Repeating for clarity.

Jun 28, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #142 of 182
Does anyone know if the new $3,000 shure electrostatic iem has a bass port? if so, is it a bass port that you can unclog with a needle or one covered with paper that will be ruined if you unclog it with a needle?

Then again I heard it has very little bass, so it might not have a port.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #143 of 182

Why don't you like BA iems? They can produce every kind of sound signature, and JH Audio is particularly good at bass and also the SE846. neither can put out the bass of the ie800 with the ports open, not even close, but they're good (and ie800 with ports open is wayyyyyy too much bass).

But their main benefit is that they are consistent, i.e. their sound signature won't change radically over time because a microscopic spec of dust reduced airflow from the bass port by 25%.

I agree with Geroge. BA's sound is just emotionless. When the song needs to be fast, it's fast, when the song needs to be slow, it's still fast. It's like a robot, just do what you want it to do according to the program, no smile to you, no protest to you.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #144 of 182
Thanks for the top tips on improving the ie800s!

I've now drilled out the bass ports on my ie800s with a 2cm concrete drill. I'm using different brands of champagne cork to plug the hole and I've found that Krug gives the best response.

I've drunk 6 bottles now in carrying out my experiments and I'm really enjoying the task. However I am having difficulty pushing the buttons on my dap.

Tomorrow, I''ll be putting the phones in a food blender to prove that Sennheiser build quality is very poor.

Thanks again. A really useful thread!!!!!

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #146 of 182

I agree with Geroge. BA's sound is just emotionless. When the song needs to be fast, it's fast, when the song needs to be slow, it's still fast. It's like a robot, just do what you want it to do according to the program, no smile to you, no protest to you.

The Roxanne is probably one of the most emotional headphones made. I think a reviewer from this website said the same (mercer). Even a new perfectly balanced ie800 isn't emotional imho. It's technically very good, detailed, covers all frequencies (meaning it has treble), good reference iem, but emotional?

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #147 of 182

The Roxanne is probably one of the most emotional headphones made. I think a reviewer from this website said the same (mercer). Even a new perfectly balanced ie800 isn't emotional imho. It's technically very good, detailed, covers all frequencies (meaning it has treble), good reference iem, but emotional?

I agree somehow. IE80 seems to be more emotional than 800, but not as precise as 800.

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #149 of 182
User AlexMills joined just a week ago and has now posted 76 negative messages about the IE800 in this single thread.

Doesn't add up to me.

Fact is, the more you repeat a single viewpoint, the less most people take notice as it's boring.

Concerning Hybrids, I love ie800 sound but then Duncan pointed me in the way of Translucent Audio's 1plus2, recently updated to 1plus2.2. Don't have misconceptions about adding BAs until you have heard these. Has all the excitement of ie800, maybe even more treble George! But a wide live-sounding soundstage.

Still keeping Senns for their small size as the 1plus2s are bigger than 846s. Just love both in different ways.

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #150 of 182
Fact is, the more you repeat a single viewpoint, the less most people take notice as it's boring.

Concerning Hybrids, I love ie800 sound but then Duncan pointed me in the way of Translucent Audio's 1plus2, recently updated to 1plus2.2. Don't have misconceptions about adding BAs until you have heard these. Has all the excitement of ie800, maybe even more treble George! But a wide live-sounding soundstage.

Still keeping Senns for their small size as the 1plus2s are bigger than 846s. Just love both in different ways.

Thank you!

I was interested in them before, but then some people complained about build quality, and I got scared away from them. 

I should try if they do sound better than ie800. 

Are they comfy? 
biggrin.gif
 Seems kind big. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back