Sennheiser IE80 alternatives?
Apr 17, 2018 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

radiohead14

Head-Fier
While I love my IE80, it's been my main for 4 years now, and it hasn't been the most comfortable when traveling and commuting. The slightly stiff cable hasn't been too comfortable over my ears with my glasses. I tried looking for an alternative cable, but I don't know if I could trust third party cables.

I also haven't been on here for a couple of years now, so I'm not up to date with newer IEMs, so it was quite overwhelming trying to read up on what's good these days.

I'm basically looking for a comfortable, lightweight IEM that is similar to two of my favorite IEMs: the IE80 and the Sony XB90ex. I need that big soundstage and sub bass without sacrificing clarity in mids and highs. Other factors important to me at this point: 1- Must be a straight down/hanging style (the over-ear form isn't the best for me, as I wear glasses that aren't friendly with over-ear cable) 2- Must have a chin slider.. (I know it's a tiny factor, but I realize how much I appreciate this when being active: snowboarding, skateboarding, etc..).

So yea, basically I'm looking for a straight down/hanging, lightweight IEM that has a wide soundstage, able to make me feel sub-bass without muddying up mids and highs, comfortable and stays in ear effortlessly, has good isolation, and must have a chin slider. Budget is $200, but would prefer less. I see that nowadays, quality IEMs can be had for less compared to just a couple of years ago, so I'm hoping there's something within this budget for me today. Would greatly appreciate any recommendations. Thank you!

Apr 17, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 9
One model that you can consider is Campfire Audio Comet. It is small and light. One issue with this model is the mic and volume control is at a position of making the chin slider useless. To resolve this you might want to get a cable without mic. Actually I think you can consider those over ear IEM provided the cable do not have the memory ear guide. Normally that is the issue for those who are wearing spec - I am one of them!

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 9
thank you, but from my experience with BA IEMs, they still can't keep up with dynamics in the low end department.
Since you like the lows produced by a dynamic driver, you can consider Sony XBA-N1AP. It is a hybrid IEM with a very decent lows. I owned the predecessor XBA-A1AP. Happy with it but upgraded to a more balance IEM, CA Nova.

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Since you like the lows produced by a dynamic driver, you can consider Sony XBA-N1AP. It is a hybrid IEM with a very decent lows. I owned the predecessor XBA-A1AP. Happy with it but upgraded to a more balance IEM, CA Nova.

Thank you. I didn't know Sony made a successor to the XBA H1, which I owned. I remember liking it. Does the A1 have sub bass? I recall the H1 lacking a bit in that aspect. Sony doesn't seem to market this in the US, so maybe that's why I missed it.

Apr 19, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 9
I think A1 and A2 are no longer in production anymore. They are replaced by the new N series :)

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 9
Whats the better IEM out of IE80 Vs Comet?

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Whats the better IEM out of IE80 Vs Comet?
Personally I think IE80 is brighter as compared to Comet. This time round Campfire Audio comes out with something more relaxed and laid back. It is very comfortable for long listening while the details are not compromised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back