Sennheiser IE8
Jun 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

CareyPrice31

Montreal Canadiens
Love them but I have a few questions.

Is it normal that they have small cosmetic in-perfections (tiny micro marks etc)? Do you notice anything on your pair? Do you see marks on your 3.5mm plug?

Is it okay if I start listening to them on my laptop before my main source (iPhone)? Will this effect the SQ of them permanently?

Mine are brand new and bought from an authorized store but I'm paranoid that they are used for some reason. Everything looked tidy and well placed in the packaging when I opened them. How would I tell the difference? They looked relatively clean?

I'd really appreciate if I get some feedback to put this to ease for me!

I really appreciate your help guys!

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 22

Quote:
Love them but I have a few questions (I'm OCD).

Is it normal that they have small cosmetic in-perfections (tiny micro marks etc)? Do you notice anything on your pair? Do you see marks on your 3.5mm plug? mine doesn't have any.

Is it okay if I start listening to them on my laptop before my main source (iPhone)? Will this effect the SQ of them permanently? Nah it's fine; it won't do anything to the IE8s drivers :)

Mine are brand new and bought from an authorized store but I'm paranoid that they are used for some reason. Everything looked tidy and well placed in the packaging when I opened them. How would I tell the difference? They looked relatively clean? double check with the thread on fake and real IE8s, but generally mine is genuine, well packed and everything inside should be sealed if I'm not wrong.

I'd really appreciate if I get some feedback to put this to ease for me!

I really appreciate your help guys!

hope that helps, but my suggestion would be just to make sure that your IE8s are a genuine pair. other than that, I don't think you should have anything to worry about!

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 22
if anything has been moved around, I'm guessing it's just to check through that everything was okay. I know that the dealer I got it from sealed it up with their own tape and marked it out, but everything inside was intact.

If it's genuine then I wouldn't be too worried about it, but if the cosmetic flaw bothers you, try and exchange it, otherwise just have some fun with 'em if the sonic frequencies work fine. I love mine to bits and the IE8 cable is built like a tank compared to most others :)

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
wait you can damage headphone drivers just because you play them from your computer?

no...lol. you'll only damage them if you play 'em too loud, drop 'em or play a wave frequency that is beyond the capabilities of your driver; the last one i'm not 100% sure. but I'm pretty darn sure you don't damages the drivers if you play it off your headphone out from the laptop lol. the only difference is that the SQ might not be as good and this is dependent on your soundcard.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 22
No tape, just scratches on that plastic cover when you flip open the tab on the box. Can you check if your plastic piece has scratches? Is your box in perfect condition or has some small marks/dents? I'd really really appreciate if you checked.

The small marks are HARDLY noticeable hence the reason you probably can't find them (i'm obsessed)! Just small little blemishes that I notice.... I  notice blemishes in almost all electronics so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm being paranoid.

Quote:
if anything has been moved around, I'm guessing it's just to check through that everything was okay. I know that the dealer I got it from sealed it up with their own tape and marked it out, but everything inside was intact.

If it's genuine then I wouldn't be too worried about it, but if the cosmetic flaw bothers you, try and exchange it, otherwise just have some fun with 'em if the sonic frequencies work fine. I love mine to bits and the IE8 cable is built like a tank compared to most others :)

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
No tape, just scratches on that plastic cover when you flip open the tab on the box. Can you check if your plastic piece has scratches? Is your box in perfect condition or has some small marks/dents? I'd really really appreciate if you checked.

The small marks are HARDLY noticeable hence the reason you probably can't find them (i'm obsessed)! Just small little blemishes that I notice.... I  notice blemishes in almost all electronics so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm being paranoid.

heh. well, there is nothing wrong to be overly cautious :)

I'm in between houses at the moment so all my stuff is stashed in boxes. I'll have a look in one or two small ones to see if it's there and then I'll see if I can help you out, but I don't remember putting them in there unfortunately.

In terms of memory though, I don't remember there being scratches on the plastic cover, but I did notice that mine was opened hence why the dealer taped up mine so I wouldn't be surprised if the guys on your end did the same, but to then scratch the plastic cover is a tad much. Also, my box wasn't perfect perfect from memory, but if I can find it, I'll have a look.

However, again, if it's not on the IE8 itself, I really wouldn't worry too much bout it.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
woops ive been purposely playing me new buds loud cuz i thought it would be better for burn in LOL. man im so newb

they are fine loud, they are meant to be able to take it, I don't think it's an issue, but I'd really only play 'em at most slightly louder than what you normally would listen to. for some, they prefer to burn in and then listen to it, but I believe that you should just listen to it from scratch, more bang for the buck at any rate! and the IE8s are just pure fun. the only thing though, find a right tip that fits, if it doesn't, try out others. all the tips change the sound signature significantly.

Jun 13, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 22
Yup, I guess i'm too worried.

You would make my week if you can take some pictures of your box and/or IE8's.

If you look VERY closely, you don't see any marks on your cord or silver 3.5mm plug?

Quote:
heh. well, there is nothing wrong to be overly cautious :)

I'm in between houses at the moment so all my stuff is stashed in boxes. I'll have a look in one or two small ones to see if it's there and then I'll see if I can help you out, but I don't remember putting them in there unfortunately.

In terms of memory though, I don't remember there being scratches on the plastic cover, but I did notice that mine was opened hence why the dealer taped up mine so I wouldn't be surprised if the guys on your end did the same, but to then scratch the plastic cover is a tad much. Also, my box wasn't perfect perfect from memory, but if I can find it, I'll have a look.

However, again, if it's not on the IE8 itself, I really wouldn't worry too much bout it.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Yup, I guess i'm too worried.

You would make my week if you can take some pictures of your box and/or IE8's.

If you look VERY closely, you don't see any marks on your cord or silver 3.5mm plug?

just searched for the IE8 in a couple of small boxes and it ain't there so I can't really help you out with that.

In terms of the cord and silver plug, there are scruff marks, but it's really more from wear. I've had my IE8s for some time. If you plug it into a source and the headphone jack is rough, it will scratch your IE8 plug.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 22
IE8 can be blast loud, and I mean real loud. I accidentally left it plugged on my PC, playing at like near max volume. It was unscathed. And usually for genuine IE8, the plastic cover is linked, not taped.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 22

Quote:
IE8 can be blast loud, and I mean real loud. I accidentally left it plugged on my PC, playing at like near max volume. It was unscathed. And usually for genuine IE8, the plastic cover is linked, not taped.

yeah you can, but there really isn't much point.

If you are referring to me saying that it was taped, I meant the outside was taped/sealed to prevent outside interference from anyone e.g. shipping handlers; just to clarify what I was trying to say.

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 22
My point was it can be blast loud, so if you accidentally blast it, you don't have to worry that anything bad will happen to it. I was quite surprised how much power it can soak up.

By the way, Cravenz, are you by any chance a scholar? I know quite a lot of Singaporeans here, and tonnes of them are scholars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back