Sennheiser IE8 vs Westone 3
post-7335595
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 41

djbasketball1

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
190
Reaction score
10
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Posts
190
Likes
10
I was just wondering if anyone that has the two could do a head-to-head comparison.
 
Please keep in mind which of the two would be better for:
-Techno/Trance music
-For physical work
-Isolation
 
Where can I buy these in Canada?
 
Also if anyone has these for sale, please PM me.
 
Thanks,
 
     Share This Post       
post-7335625
Post #2 of 41

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
17,006
Reaction score
2,705
Location
Toronto, Canada
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Location
Toronto, Canada
Posts
17,006
Likes
2,705


Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone that has the two could do a head-to-head comparison.
 
Please keep in mind which of the two would be better for:
-Techno/Trance music
-For physical work
-Isolation
 
Where can I buy these in Canada?
 
Also if anyone has these for sale, please PM me.
 
Thanks,

I owned both and preferred the Westone 3s by a good margin!
 
Headroom or Earphonesolutions are great places to pick these up.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7335755
Post #3 of 41

djbasketball1

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
190
Reaction score
10
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Posts
190
Likes
10

What was the major difference between the two? in other words what made you like the W3's over the IE8's?
Quote:
I owned both and preferred the Westone 3s by a good margin!
 
Headroom or Earphonesolutions are great places to pick these up.
 


 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7337328
Post #4 of 41

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
17,006
Reaction score
2,705
Location
Toronto, Canada
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Location
Toronto, Canada
Posts
17,006
Likes
2,705
I found the IE8s had great sound stage, but the bass was just too much for me. The Westone 3s were very nice and more on the coloured side of things with nice bass (though not intrusive into the mids like the IE8s) and sparkling treble. I found the treble on the IE8s more neutral. But in the end, I still kept the W3s for a much longer time. The bass on the IE8s kinda killed the entire presentation to me.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7337336
Post #5 of 41

djbasketball1

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
190
Reaction score
10
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Posts
190
Likes
10


Quote:
I found the IE8s had great sound stage, but the bass was just too much for me. The Westone 3s were very nice and more on the coloured side of things with nice bass (though not intrusive into the mids like the IE8s) and sparkling treble. I found the treble on the IE8s more neutral. But in the end, I still kept the W3s for a much longer time. The bass on the IE8s kinda killed the entire presentation to me.
I think it all depends on the kind of music you listen too, i mean fore trance/techno music i think the IE8's would be appropriate.
The IE8's have bass control, did you try changing it around?
 
What do you think about the IE8's for physical workouts?

 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7337338
Post #6 of 41

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
17,006
Reaction score
2,705
Location
Toronto, Canada
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Location
Toronto, Canada
Posts
17,006
Likes
2,705


Quote:
I think it all depends on the kind of music you listen too, i mean fore trance/techno music i think the IE8's would be appropriate.
The IE8's have bass control, did you try changing it around?
 
What do you think about the IE8's for physical workouts?

 
 

The fit of the IE8s for me was never ideal and would fall out on the treadmill. I find the Shures actually the best for my ears in that regard.
 
While I don't listen to trance/techno, still that bass was too much to deal with. YMMV.
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7337353
Post #8 of 41

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
17,006
Reaction score
2,705
Location
Toronto, Canada
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Location
Toronto, Canada
Posts
17,006
Likes
2,705


Quote:
 I mean i can get the Ie8's for less money, so i think il go for them

How much less?
 
BTW, if you're looking for outside noise isolation, the IE8s are among the worst at this. But then again, if you're running outside, the Shures (best IEMs for noise isolation with my ears). can be a bit dangerous as you will not hear that bus coming down on you.

 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7337379
Post #9 of 41

djbasketball1

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
190
Reaction score
10
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Posts
190
Likes
10


Quote:
How much less?
 
BTW, if you're looking for outside noise isolation, the IE8s are among the worst at this. But then again, if you're running outside, the Shures (best IEMs for noise isolation with my ears). can be a bit dangerous as you will not hear that bus coming down on you.

 
About 15%. Could I get comply tips for the IE8's?
 
Honestly I think its more likely you getting jumped then gettting hit by a bus wearing shures...lol
 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7337383
Post #10 of 41

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
17,006
Reaction score
2,705
Location
Toronto, Canada
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Location
Toronto, Canada
Posts
17,006
Likes
2,705

 
Quote:
About 15%. Could I get comply tips for the IE8's?
 
Honestly I think its more likely you getting jumped then gettting hit by a bus wearing shures...lol
 
 

 
LoL, getting jumped is something I never did think about.

 
Yes the comply (I think 400) will work with the IE8s.
 
     Share This Post       
post-7337388
Post #11 of 41

djbasketball1

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
190
Reaction score
10
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Posts
190
Likes
10


Quote:
 

 
LoL, getting jumped is something I never did think about.

 
Yes the comply (I think 400) will work with the IE8s.Will
Will this keep you from not running outside anymore?? Lol, I hope not. Yes, that is getting jumped for the earphones themselves, nothing else. Although i doubt robbers know much about IEM's, or do they?
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-7338162
Post #12 of 41

matchuk28

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 13, 2010
Messages
148
Reaction score
11
Joined
Mar 13, 2010
Posts
148
Likes
11
btw isolation on ie8s are horrid
 
i would just buy the one that cost cheaper i think ie8 is cheaper than westone 3
 
     Share This Post       
post-7339370
Post #14 of 41

buffalowings

Went way too far, too many times.
Joined
May 14, 2010
Messages
4,542
Reaction score
39
Joined
May 14, 2010
Posts
4,542
Likes
39
     Share This Post       
post-7340009
Post #15 of 41

djbasketball1

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
190
Reaction score
10
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Posts
190
Likes
10
$250 IE8 vs $330 westone 3
 
 

250 for IE8? From where? More like 330. Westone 3's are like $340. I think the sennheisers IE8 would be better for my genera of music which is techno/trance/progressive/house and dance music.

What's your take?

Anyways will comply tips work on the IE8's?
T-400 or T-500?
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top