Sennheiser IE8 screws for bass quantity don't work...
Dec 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ThibWay

New Head-Fier
Hello !

Since approx 3 months I'm barely able to change the sound of my IE8s, even if I put the basses at the max on one side and at the min on the other side by turning the screws.
   While they were fresh, out of the box, I couldn't bare more than 10 minutes with the max settings it was just horrible, now it doesn't seem to do anything...

So I don't know what's wrong, my hearing didn't change, I've always used the same Cowon J3 with it... My theory is that, well, I put the basses at the middle for a very long time and they kinda "settled", but now it sounds pretty bloated, i'm a bit tired of it and when I put it to the min it's still the same...

If the same thing happened to you please tell me, I'll then ask Sennheiser, I'd like to know if it's just me or a common material issue.

Thank you for your help :) !

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 8
I've owned my IE8's for around a year and my bass screws still work.  Keep in mind that I never really put it past the first setting so I'm not sure if that would be a common issue on all of them.

The first thing I would check is if your pair is real or not.  Here's a thread to help you on that: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/457420/warning-fake-ie8s-comparison-pictures-included

If they're fake then it's wouldn't be hard to believe that it's broken but I've never really heard of it not working before.  Then again I didn't read the whole ie8 appreciation thread so maybe there are a few others with this problem.  Also try listening to the ie8's at a low volume when changing the dial.  If you've been listening to the music too loud then your ears would be too fatigued to hear the difference.

Dec 28, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Thank you for your reply :D ! I've compared them a second time, they do seem and sound absolutely real, I have this red wire and all the details, and bought from amazon from AVIDES (Germany) so it shouldn't be fake...

About high volumes, well, that's the contrary, I have hyperacusis and I've never seen anyone listening to volume as low as me, which is very disturbing because the city is sooo noisy... Besides, I use Shure SE420 in the morning to listen to tracks with a lot of vocals mostly, and in the evening I use the IE8s so I got used to both sounds.

Anyways, I remember that the first time I change the settings with the screws, the monitors weren't playing music, I purpusedly unplugged them for that and put it to the max (because I got used to Shure), there was too much basses, so I put them to the middle in the evening, they stayed like this during 3 months (or maybe more ?) and now it's too bassy, it's a bit bloated, that's weird...

Actually I was on my way to get them customized (and the Shure SE420 as well :p) but if I have to send them back, well, I'm not going to send them with my custom sleeves on, right :O ? Because custom sleeves can't be taken off, right ????!

Dec 28, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 8
I've actually found the biggest change between the five bass nodules, is from nodule two, to nodule three.  It seems to boost the sub-bass, whereas the settings four and five just increase the lower mid-bass upon the boosted sub-bass at setting three.  Anyone else found this?

Dec 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Thank you for your reply :D ! I've compared them a second time, they do seem and sound absolutely real, I have this red wire and all the details, and bought from amazon from AVIDES (Germany) so it shouldn't be fake...

About high volumes, well, that's the contrary, I have hyperacusis and I've never seen anyone listening to volume as low as me, which is very disturbing because the city is sooo noisy... Besides, I use Shure SE420 in the morning to listen to tracks with a lot of vocals mostly, and in the evening I use the IE8s so I got used to both sounds.

Anyways, I remember that the first time I change the settings with the screws, the monitors weren't playing music, I purpusedly unplugged them for that and put it to the max (because I got used to Shure), there was too much basses, so I put them to the middle in the evening, they stayed like this during 3 months (or maybe more ?) and now it's too bassy, it's a bit bloated, that's weird...

Actually I was on my way to get them customized (and the Shure SE420 as well :p) but if I have to send them back, well, I'm not going to send them with my custom sleeves on, right :O ? Because custom sleeves can't be taken off, right ????!

As it happens, you can remove custom tips.

Quote:
I've actually found the biggest change between the five bass nodules, is from nodule two, to nodule three.  It seems to boost the sub-bass, whereas the settings four and five just increase the lower mid-bass upon the boosted sub-bass at setting three.  Anyone else found this?

I feel that the bass tuning knob does nothing to the midbass. I leave it at max and let the bass drop as low as it can go. Dailing the bass any higher just seems to me to cut the bass below a certain frequency.
popcorn.gif

Dec 28, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 8
If the housings of your IE8s have come loose, the bass will be boosted and the screws will not have an impact.  You can test for this by putting the IE8s on, starting your source material, and covering the screw with your finger.  If you hear a difference in the bass, you still have a good seal around the housing and the screw itself may be the problem.

However, it would be very unusual if both housings developed the problem simultaneously.  It seems that either the left or right should be having the problem.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 8
Thank you all ! It's nice to hear that the sleeves are removable (well, if it's sleeves obviously :p) , I thought my IE8 were going to be customized irreversably. I tried putting my finger on the screws, doesn't change anything...
Well, anyways, I'll be able to deal with the screws even if I go custom, but I'll have to make sure my audiologist makes it right because I'm not actually going with ACS, it will cost 75 euros wich is pretty nice compared to ACS, plus I'll customize the Shure SE420 at the same time. Maybe the IE8 just don't sound the same way to me than at the beginning, and it'll be easier to differentiate exactly with the customs (but that seems rather not probable to me...). 

By the way, I saw that sharp angles reduce soundstage, but I don't really have an idea on how to deal with that, this one seems rather appropriate : http://assets.head-fi.org/b/b1/b187557a_sleeves.jpg  or this one : http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2131/3543951486_e77dff9ae7.jpg?v=0 , I saw a comment saying : "with the IE8 I have the impressions I'm wearing full open cans", it's exactly the same feeling I have, especially when I plug it in a powerful source like a soundcard (will have to install ASUS Xonar essence stx by the way, I'm so happy :p !) so reducing the SS sucks... I wish it was more simple :frowning2:.
Surprisingly, ottoyu34 claims the soundstage got larger while there are sharp angles on his customs, the noozle litteraly faces a side of the sleeve  :  
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/415905/review-acs-custom-tips-sennheiser-ie8      and also look at the cable over part :O.
I should have my customs on the 25th of january, I'll also give a personal feedback :D, and if anyone wants to know something about the ASUS STX , I'll install it on the 5-6 of january, you'll ask me anything you want to know :).

Ok, in other terms, what should I ask my audiologist, what message/photos to send with the IEM ? There was a comment on the other thread but I didn't quite understand it :frowning2:. If you can give me photos of what should be done that'd be great.

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Sorry to disturb you but my thread went down to the 5th page and I still don't know what to tell my audiologist for my custom sleeves and the rendez-vous is on the 8th of January :frowning2: !
Does anyone have an idea about what I should ask in order not to reduce the IE8 soundstage ? I think I understand the sharp angle thing now :

With a sharp angle, a part of the sound is somehow reflected because it faces a hard 90° angle while in the other case it goes naturally and it'll most likely improve the soundstage because the distance between the driver and the earcanal will be bigger. Am I right ????? Is there anything else to tell the audiologist ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back