Sennheiser IE8 right channel issue - cable suggestions?
Oct 5, 2011 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ARStewart

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi,

Today I started listening to my Sennheiser IE8s and I noticed that the right channel sounded much too quiet. After checking to make sure that they were properly inserted into my ears, I realized that the right channel seems to have lost almost all its volume, although there is still a small amount. The connection between the cable and the plastic housing right the headphone itself seems slightly crooked compared to the left headphone's connection (I will post a picture soon). My guess is that the connection was somehow damaged and that I need to replace the cable, although if anyone else has had this experience I would appreciate any suggestions.

In the event that I need to replace the cable, I am unsure as to which cable I should purchase. I was unable to find a stock Sennheiser replacement, but I will be visiting my local Senn dealer tomorrow to see if one can be ordered. I was also thinking about purchasing this cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgrade-Cable-SENNHEISER-IE8-Night-stalker-IE8-/110574283606?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bebdab56

Has anyone ever had any similar issues with the right channel? And could anyone suggest other replacement cables? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Adam

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Hey there everyone,

I ordered a new cable from Sennheiser and they were very easy to deal with and offered great service. However, I am now worried that it might be an issue with the actual headphone rather than the cable. I switched the right and left headphone on the detachable cable and had the same issue, which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the headphone itself. I found this thread and I wanted to know if anyone could offer further advice:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/546910/sennheiser-ie8-losing-sound-in-right-channel

Like this person, I can hear music coming from the back of the headphone but the front is completely muffled, almost silent. Could it just be an issue with the speaker grill? How would I go about checking (ie disassembling or cleaning). I am waiting to hear back from the user I bought them from to see if I can locate the warranty. In the mean time, any suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam

Apr 23, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi there, I've just encountered a similar problem with my IE8's but instead mine is with the left earphone. The headphones are still in great condition and the cables are still firmly attached to their housing so I don't think it is an issue with that. 

After some playing around I realised that the volume would get louder and quieter without me touching anything but moving the wire around, which brings me back to thinking it might be a cable issue. 

At a bit of a loss at the moment, any help or advice is much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back