Sennheiser IE8 harsh treble
Oct 21, 2010 at 2:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

adsmithy

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I've given my IE8s over 100 hours of running in but the treble still seems too harsh.

I'm using a Sony X1060 playing WMA Lossless files. 

The headphones sound great at low (to low ish volumes) but anything higher causes the treble to become too harsh.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,
adsmithy

Oct 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 25
The treble of the IE8s shouldn't be harsh at all, if anything, it should be more dark than harsh. Have you tried them with another source, maybe an iPod, CD player, or your computer?

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 25
That's a bit worrying, I've only heard people complaining about them having too much bass or not enough treble. Which tips are you using? If your MP3s and WMAs files are of high quality (192kbps+), the only reason I could think of is that they may be damaged or they are fake, sorry. 
frown.gif
 Anyone else could give some comments?

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 25
They have plenty of bass, but they are just too sharp up top. I'm using the standard tips they came with, I'm guessing they are the "medium" size.

I can get some photos up if it is possible for someone to tell if they are real or not?

I purchased them from Play.com so they should be OK.

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 25
Actually, I have the same source, the sony X1060 and am quite confounded by the above statement. I've found the treble presentation with this combo to be quite innocuous. If anything I'd say it needs a bit more bite haha. Compared to my ipods the Sony seems to actually soften the treble a tad, though it still provides slightly more treble detail and extension. What volume do you generally listen at? I'd wager that you have to be extremely sensitive to treble if you find the IE8's treble too harsh/sharp. What headphones were you listening to prior to the IE8? I was gonna ask if you had the equalizer enabled but I see your findings have remain unchanged with other sources.
I'd say take a closer look at how you wear them. Push them in too deep and you get a bass heavy, muddy (dark sound), Placing them too shallow in your ear canals and the treble becomes quite spiky. Your objective is to find that critical point where the desired sound and inherent trade-offs are acceptable.

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 25
Play.com sounds like a reputable company, so I hope yours are not fake, but do post some pictures or check out this link:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/517855/yet-another-fake-ie8-help

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 25
Here are some photos

​

Quote:​
Actually, I have the same source, the sony X1060 and am quite confounded by the above statement. I've found the treble presentation with this combo to be quite innocuous. If anything I'd say it needs a bit more bite haha. Compared to my ipods the Sony seems to actually soften the treble a tad, though it still provides slightly more treble detail and extension. What volume do you generally listen at? I'd wager that you have to be extremely sensitive to treble if you find the IE8's treble too harsh/sharp. What headphones were you listening to prior to the IE8? I was gonna ask if you had the equalizer enabled but I see your findings have remain unchanged with other sources.​

I'd say take a closer look at how you wear them. Push them in too deep and you get a bass heavy, muddy (dark sound), Placing them too shallow in your ear canals and the treble becomes quite spiky. Your objective is to find that critical point where the desired sound and inherent trade-offs are acceptable.​

​
The headphones I used prior were Sony MDR-EX082 which came included with my old Sony NWZ-A818.​
 ​
On my X1060 I have the equalizer disabled but "clear stereo" enabled. I also noticed the Sony has softer treble compared to the Ipod Nano, but with more detail. ​
 ​
I find that on volume number "12" I get the best sound, but above 12 it get progressively worse in terms of harshness.​
 ​
I've tried to push the IE8s closer into my ear, but they will only go so far and it doesn't seem to be enough to calm down the treble.​
 ​
Thanks,​
adsmithy​

Oct 24, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #10 of 25
I'll wager that it is your tips. Have you tried the included bi-flanges? It may be an improvement. Just try different tips to see if they satisfy your need. The best ones I have found so far are the Monster gel tips. The comply T400 are comfy but warp the sound too much and the bi-flange doesn't seal proper. With the Monster tips I get the best of both.

Oct 24, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 25
I wouldn't know what is not right with your pair of IE8s but I can say that the IE8 should not be harsh in the treble, even at highish volumes.

Oct 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 25
They look genuine to me, so maybe you got a defective pair, is the treble harshness is in both channels? I use the Sony hybrid tips now but I didn't have any harshness in the treble when I was using the Sennheiser or the Comfy tips. You are not meant to push the tips very far in like the Shure or the Westone IEMs.

Here are some photos

​

​
The headphones I used prior were Sony MDR-EX082 which came included with my old Sony NWZ-A818.​
 ​
On my X1060 I have the equalizer disabled but "clear stereo" enabled. I also noticed the Sony has softer treble compared to the Ipod Nano, but with more detail. ​
 ​
I find that on volume number "12" I get the best sound, but above 12 it get progressively worse in terms of harshness.​
 ​
I've tried to push the IE8s closer into my ear, but they will only go so far and it doesn't seem to be enough to calm down the treble.​
 ​
Thanks,​
adsmithy​

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 25
"I'll wager that it is your tips. Have you tried the included bi-flanges? It may be an improvement. Just try different tips to see if they satisfy your need. The best ones I have found so far are the Monster gel tips. The comply T400 are comfy but warp the sound too much and the bi-flange doesn't seal proper. With the Monster tips I get the best of both."

absolutely true. sennheiser should not be anywhere near excessive "highs" especially with burn-in time. try not using the default tips and stick with ue gray tips or sony hybrids.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #15 of 25
They look genuine. And I know what your problem is. The IE8s sound harsh at 50-100 hour burn in. In fact, they don't sound all that fantastic until the 300th hour of burn in. I noticed that they sounded harsh at the 50 to 100 or 150 hour burn in. Just keep burning them in and they'll smoothen out. Trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back