Sennheiser IE8 advice
Jan 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DMRankin

New Head-Fier
"Here we go again", I know that's what your all thinking, but go easy on me, it's my first post here =D

Right, so I bought a set of IE8i's off ebay just after Christmas (£189.99 advertised as 100% Genuine Brand New etc), and after reading through most of the info here already, specifically SolidVictory's thread on Fake IE8 comparison's, i'm convinced that these are NOT fakes.

What i've been using until now were a basic set of Philips worth about £40 or something, and from what I can tell the IE8's aren't a big improvement. These are my first set of high-end IEM's so shouldn't I notice a massive difference straight out of the box regardless of burn-in etc? I mean they definitely sound good, but not mind-blowing (which is what i'd expect for £200 after reading such amazing reviews)

Im working with a band at the minute who all use high-end IEMs (some Shure some Westone and a couple with JH-Audio customs) and after they had a wee listen tonight they pretty much said the same as me "they're good, but not £200 good".

Should I get some custom mould's made for them and see if the 'perfect fit' sorts everything out? Someone else posted here with a link to Sensaphonic's and from listening to the different frequencies 50-500Hz, i'm pretty sure my seal is good.

The overall sound seems good to me, but i'm just disappointed so far. Even the bass is pretty 'meh' turned up full, its flat and weak instead of kicking my head off (not that that's what I want, but it'd just be nice to know that the IE8's are as crazy as everyone says they are).

And i'm aware about the burn-in confusion too. Has anyone here had a set that stayed pretty average within the first 50 hours use, and then suddenly became amazing after that? I know burn-in can take 100's of hours, but shouldn't that just be for minor details?

Anyways, like I said, I don't believe these are fakes. Im just looking your guys advice and to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks for your time!

Jan 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 14
I'm gonna go ahead and say you probably just don't like them. People will say burn them in, re-cable etc etc but I think if you don't like the sound signature just sell them and move on. Although, trying some different tips is a relatively cheap option instead of buying custom moulds. I use sony hybrids on mine. Out of interest, were you aware of the IE8s sound signature before buying from people's reviews/impressions?

The IE8s are a fave of mine and I have kept them despite selling my other IEMs (W3, Atrio, SM3, MTPC, MDT).

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 14
The IE 8 are unlikely to be weak on the bass especially with the choice to tweak the bass. In fact, I felt it was a bit too much for me. I don't think it is due to the burning in issue. I will guess the tips and isolation that's leaking the bass.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 14
Also, try changing how you wear them. I found over-the-ear to not seal that well for me.

I now favour wearing them down with the earpieces switched, i.e L in right ear and R in left ear.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #6 of 14
You need to get a good seal. Bass is very powerfull when you get a good seal. I use Meelec balanced bi-flanges. Try out to find the ones that work best for you.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Out of interest, were you aware of the IE8s sound signature before buying from people's reviews/impressions?

No I don't think I picked up on this. Im going to play along with a seal issue for now. With burn-in, the IE8's, seem to be improving every day, but I could just be trying to convince myself. I've tried all the standard buds that came with the IE8, most of them are kack but some of them fit nice and comfy, and I do notice subtle changes in bass when I play about with them a bit. 

I've ordered some Radian's custom moulded earplugs that i'll modify into a basic IEM mould. It's not ideal but will give me an idea what the IE8's will sound like with a better seal, and much cheaper than going all out for proper custom moulds at this stage.

Appreciate the help guys.

Jan 7, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 14
I too was unimpressed with the IE8 when I first received them and thought that custom sleeves might improve things ... they didn't.

I honestly can't understand why the IE8 were so hyped on this forum when they first came out (and I seriousy doubt the current wave of IE80 hype). They are probably the most underwhelming IEM I've ever heard in their price bracket.

I got some sleeves made by ACS in the UK but it didn't improve my impression of the IE8s at all. In my experience it was just another £100 wasted on a product that I ended up selling (at a significant loss) a few months later. In contrast I also got some custom sleeves made for my Westone UM3x and I found that there was a significant improvement. I think balanced armiture IEMs benefit from an air-tight seal but IEMs with dynamic drivers, and an open port such as the IE8, don't really benefit.

If you can cope with the financial loss I'd suggest selling the IE8 and buying something similar to what your friends are using (Westone, Shure or maybe one of the entrance level customs) rather than wasting money trying to make the IE8 into something they are not.

Jan 7, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 14
For people having big ear canals, provided tips (and even large MEElec double flange) are too small. I could only get a proper seal/fit with Comply Ts400or Ts500:

Once you get the seal, bass should be VERY noticable even with the bass knob at minimum.

Concerning sound quality, IE8 are largely overpriced at the original price, but at around 200$/170€/£150 (current price if you search well), they perform fine. Soundstage is tremendous, but it is shame they really lack in details and separation when compared to top-tier IEMs.

Jan 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 14
Guys, I don't know what the frig has happened. But these things have just unloaded tonight. Bass is full-on now and the overall volume is so much higher. Really surprised.

Still going to work with different buds and maybe moulds to get a better fit. 

Thank you all for you help guys.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 14
:p
Guys, I don't know what the frig has happened. But these things have just unloaded tonight. Bass is full-on now and the overall volume is so much higher. Really surprised.

Still going to work with different buds and maybe moulds to get a better fit. 

Thank you all for you help guys.

I've just purchased some ie8's in the last few days after owning and loving my ie6's for the past 3 years.Got to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed at the moment. They only sound "ok" at the moment.How long was it until they really opened up and sounded amazing as you say?
They just sound a bit subdued and not as loud as my ie6 at the same volume setting.

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 14
Maybe it's also because I'm so used to my ie6 sound signature that i'm not loving the ie8's yet.I've only been listening to them for a couple of hours so,fingers crossed, i'll have that eureka moment in the not too distant future.
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back