Sennheiser IE7 oddity (fake box but real headphones?)
May 6, 2011 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

viewtifuljon

New Head-Fier
I just bought a used pair of IE7 locally. I met the seller in person and tested them, and while they sounded nice (nice soundstage), I haven't had time to properly judge the audio and as such my initial impressions on the sound cannot fully justify whether or not these are real or fake. Which leaves me with the aesthetics for determining that.

At first glance, the box appeared fake. The dude inside the box seemed like his skin was tinged yellow, and the barcode on the bottom was past the "R" in "Sennheiser". However, those factors were for the IE8, as far as I could tell.

The headphones themselves, however, seemed okay. The strain reliefs on the headphones, the y-splitter and the right angle plug were all translucent grey, with the telltale red wire inside the right angle plug. There's not enough documentation (at least I couldn't find enough) online to say that these signs are enough to determine authenticity, however they are nice signs.

It gets weirder at the metal case, as the "S" logo is nicely curved (indicating real headphones for the IE8), but the aluminum seems overly brushed (indicating fake for the IE8). I'm not sure how these factors apply to the IE7, if at all. All other accessories were present (Owner's Manual in, like, 5 different languages, 3 size single and bi-flange tip silicone, and 2 size foam, cleaner tool, ear hooks/wire guides).

So yeah, I know it kinda sucks trying to judge headphones based on everything but the sound (I will update later after I have had time to listen to them and if my question hasn't been answered already), but what are your gut feelings about my set of IE7, for those of you who have had them before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back