Sennheiser IE6. Not as good es expecting...
Oct 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

lejolasho

New Head-Fier
hello. 

I purchased IE6 from newegg. It arrived two days ago. I read a lot of reviews, including ones on this forum before buying, and i thought it would have a very deep bass.
The sound is very crisp and detailed, but i am a bit dissapointed, because i don't like bass, it is very weak.
I tried all the sizes, and i think i have chosen a right one.
I am using it on Creative ZEN. Also i have iPhoneand to ensure, that i use max from these earbuds, i tested it on Creative XtremeGamer sound card, but the result is the same - bass is very weak.
I think, that it is a common problem of Sennheiser, because bass of CX500 was very weak also...
Is there any way to improve bass? What is best music album to use for burning? Will burn-in improve it? How much Burn-in is necessary for it to get best results?

Thanks. Sorry for my bad english...

Oct 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Hello lejolasho
smile_phones.gif

I don't know why you think weak bass is a common problem with Sennheiser. I've not found that to be the case at all. The IE8's are very bassy and so are the CX300's. The only Senn I've used that seemed to have weaker bass than the others was the CX400's. In fact, I think I read somewhere that the IE6 is the bassiest of the IE series. What tips are you using? Did they come with the hard foam tips? if so, try those ones. You might find you get more bass with a foam tip as opposed to a silicone tip. What does the seal feel like?

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Hello lejolasho
smile_phones.gif

I don't know why you think weak bass is a common problem with Sennheiser. I've not found that to be the case at all. The IE8's are very bassy and so are the CX300's. The only Senn I've used that seemed to have weaker bass than the others was the CX400's. In fact, I think I read somewhere that the IE6 is the bassiest of the IE series. What tips are you using? Did they come with the hard foam tips? if so, try those ones. You might find you get more bass with a foam tip as opposed to a silicone tip. What does the seal feel like?

Hello. Thanks for response.
It came with these tips:
tips_2_small.jpg
i use double tips of small size.

edit, now i tried medium ones of double tips and bass has improved noticeably. Now bass doesn't seem as weak as before, but i still think it should be more for one of the bassiest of IE series. (I read that too on this forum, but i can't find link...)

Oct 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 11
I hate to say it but in your last post you told me why your not hearing bass, because I am quite certain if you read enough threads here on Headfi you will soon pick up that you have to get a very good seal and you must experiment with - not just all of the tips that your headphones arrive with - but as many tips as possible tha you can lay your hands on. Okay so you will not have access to lots of eartips right away, but if you just experiment with those Sennheiser supply - including the biggest and don't shy away from them just because you think they will not fit in your ears, because in my own case I have to use 2 different sizes of eartip simply because thats the way evolution made my ears.

As a former Sennheiser IE6 owner I found my best fit with Ultimate Ears standard single flange eartips with a medium in my right ear and a large one the left. In this configuration they were comfortable and produced more than enough bass. The worst eartips I used with the IE6's were the ghastly biflange tips from the left hand side of your picture. Whoever designed these obviously wanted to inflict pain, because I found them very uncomfortable and much to short to provide a decent seal.

So experiment with all of the tips supplied by sennheiser until you get a good seal and when you get a good seal you will hear bass.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
I hate to say it but in your last post you told me why your not hearing bass, because I am quite certain if you read enough threads here on Headfi you will soon pick up that you have to get a very good seal and you must experiment with - not just all of the tips that your headphones arrive with - but as many tips as possible tha you can lay your hands on. Okay so you will not have access to lots of eartips right away, but if you just experiment with those Sennheiser supply - including the biggest and don't shy away from them just because you think they will not fit in your ears, because in my own case I have to use 2 different sizes of eartip simply because thats the way evolution made my ears.

As a former Sennheiser IE6 owner I found my best fit with Ultimate Ears standard single flange eartips with a medium in my right ear and a large one the left. In this configuration they were comfortable and produced more than enough bass. The worst eartips I used with the IE6's were the ghastly biflange tips from the left hand side of your picture. Whoever designed these obviously wanted to inflict pain, because I found them very uncomfortable and much to short to provide a decent seal.

So experiment with all of the tips supplied by sennheiser until you get a good seal and when you get a good seal you will hear bass.

That's interesting because the biflange tips from the left-hand side of the picture were the most comfortable tips for my IE8. Shows that different ears have different fits.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 11
I have the IE6 and from my experience, it really is a great set of iem, you can hear the bass really well. though it takes me some time to really get a good seal using the mid olive type tip.

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 11
The ie6s work best with sony hybrids, i get a perfect seal every time. I don't know if its just me but I think the bass is to much so i have it on bass reducer, and thats considering I have the m50s which are known to have tons of bass. I think the ie6s are just ok, not sure if they are worth their retail price because I find them lacking in detail. To me even ksc75 quarter modded have more detail, but the ie6s are definately the best iems i own.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 11
I don't understand why people cannot get a good fit with foam. It adapts to your ears so as long as it goes deep enough, everyone would have good seal right?

That's a question really. Because I have zero fit issue with my FIRST EVER Shure Olives (small) using on SE535. However I'm lack of experience with IEM so there might be things I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back