Sennheiser IE300 Review & Measurements
Oct 14, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #406 of 738
Well..

Order placed for IE900! 😱 End-game though. Definitely. Wife would divorce me if I changed my mind in a few months 🤣🤞
:beerchug:

please share your experience with them, compared to the ie 300

Feels like the IE300 are a gateway drug to the IE900 :ksc75smile:

Oct 14, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #407 of 738
:beerchug:

please share your experience with them, compared to the ie 300

Feels like the IE300 are a gateway drug to the IE900 :ksc75smile:

Yes I suppose they are!

My initial reaction on the IE900 thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...ments-harman-target-talk.957709/post-16608375

They're definitely a completely different beast. I know people say the bass is the best, which I'd agree with. It doesn't always put bass forward, only when it has to, and in that respect it can sound lighter on bass than the IE300... Urges you to push the volume up at times. I reckon there's more an emphasis on sub bass with the IE900. It's great.

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #408 of 738
My IE100 Pro have arrived today. So far:
  • stock tips are all unusable for me, just like with the IE300. They all don't have a proper seal. Never had those problems with other IEMs. These are working for me: Final E, Comply TSX-400, Azla Xelastec. The Comply work best, because they are less prone to sibliance.
Update: After much more listening I'd recommend the Final E tips for the IE100 Pro. At least if V shaped sound is the right thing for you. But also I have to say that the Final E are no good tips for the IE300. It makes them overly bassy.

Oct 28, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #410 of 738
Finally I've decided to send the IE300 back for refund and just stay with the IE100 Pro. After much comparing of the IE300 and IE100 with a lot of different tips I have to say, that the IE300 for me are not worth the triple price.

So far my tip recommendations are:
IE100 Pro:
  • Final E: compared to silicon stock tips more bass and more treble, comfortable, perfect fit for me because of narrow size differences (5 sizes available)
  • Spinfit CP100: compared to silicon stock tips more bass and more treble, a little bit more bass than Final E
  • Spinfit CP240: compared to Final E and CP100 more bass and less treble, not comfortable for me
IE300:
  • stock silicon tips of the IE100 Pro
  • Comply TSX-400 (not TX-400)

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #411 of 738
Finally I've decided to send the IE300 back for refund and just stay with the IE100 Pro. After much comparing of the IE300 and IE100 with a lot of different tips I have to say, that the IE300 for me are not worth the triple price.

So far my tip recommendations are:
IE100 Pro:
  • Final E: compared to silicon stock tips more bass and more treble, comfortable, perfect fit for me because of narrow size differences (5 sizes available)
  • Spinfit CP100: compared to silicon stock tips more bass and more treble, a little bit more bass than Final E
  • Spinfit CP240: compared to Final E and CP100 more bass and less treble, not comfortable for me
IE300:
  • stock silicon tips of the IE100 Pro
  • Comply TSX-400 (not TX-400)
What do you think are the major differences between both? I was considering the ie300.

Oct 28, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #412 of 738
Well, with the same tips the biggest difference is the bass quantity. The IE300 have much more bass.
  • But the Final E tips give a fine bass boost to the IE100 Pro, which is really enough for me.
  • The Final E tips are overly bassy on the IE300 for me
  • The stock IE300 tips all have a non perfect seal for me and therefore an unreliable performance. Therefore I need tip rolling and finding decent tips was rather hard. I could not find perfect tips that would match a 300 € IEM
Depending on the recording and my personal mood I sometimes preferred one over the other. So a another important part of my decision just was the price.

As usual: try both yourself because YMMV :beerchug:

Oct 29, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #413 of 738
I had the IE80s for a few years and the IE300s are much better in every way. Build quality with the new cable is much better, it doesn't use the ear hooks that always fell off. The IE300s have slightly less bass than the IE80s, but it's much clearer now. The rest of the tuning is pretty similar but the IE300s sound much clearer. I highly recommend them if you want an IEM that'll sound good and last for years with no issues.
Not to offend anyone who loves their IE 80S (after all, some people simply love lots of bass), but I agree the IE 300 is better in every technical way, I have no temptation to go back :sweat_smile:

Thanks. I just can’t get past how tiny they are , its a bit worrying ,lol. I gotta say these must be the most surprising purchase in this hobby for me , in terms of price to performance.
I haven’t heard the bigger brother. I can’t only imagine how great they sound if these are any indication.
I have never been a fan, personally, of in-ear shells that protrude noticeably, so I was pleased when I got my sample to see that they hardly jut out from my ear at all.
The bigger brother is great, it has similar flavoring with further refinements in technicalities. I'm happy to say I feel they both deliver good value at their respective price points.

Just received my IE300 today, testing several songs I regularly use on new headphones. So far I like them a lot, really a lot. After all the complaining I've heard about the ear hooks I was amazed to learn that you just put the earphones in your ears, then tuck the ear hooks behind them. You could always mix things up and do hooks first I suppose. I don't know if they changed tips but what I got came in a nice envelope and seem like good quality.

The sensitivity figure on these seems odd, I'm using a BTR5 and have the volume at about 40%. That is pretty high, the only other IEM I have that plays at that level is the Final E5000 and that has pretty low sensitivity.
Yes, I always insert the earphones, then tuck the memory wire behind my ear. Its fast for me, and it stays in place while lawn mowing, jogging, or laying on a day-bed (I wouldn't sleep with any headphones). The tips came in the little envelope for me too... they were designed to be a good fit for the majority of users, and the two tip attachment depths were meant to help more people find a good fit, but at the end of the day, there is quite a variance in ear physiology (which affects how we hear speakers and headphones too, by the way!) so there will always be some people who might have motivation to explore after market options. At least aftermarket tips are an option for those that need them. Personally, the small silicone Sennheiser tips fit me great, even better than the Acoustune AT07, but I was happy to try them out.

The IE 300 have a 124 dB (1 kHz / 1 Vrms) sensitivity... that may be less than some other In Ears, but that's more sensitive than most over ear headphones and I would still consider it high-sensitivity. If your BTR5 has good volume at 40%, I say that's great! You've got plenty of headroom to increase or decrease the volume if you want, I'd say 40% would be the sweet spot for amp synergy so that you can fine tune your listening and the amp itself won't wimp out at crescendo moments! How do you like that BTR5? I've never heard one.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #414 of 738
Not to offend anyone who loves their IE 80S (after all, some people simply love lots of bass), but I agree the IE 300 is better in every technical way, I have no temptation to go back :sweat_smile:

I have never been a fan, personally, of in-ear shells that protrude noticeably, so I was pleased when I got my sample to see that they hardly jut out from my ear at all.
The bigger brother is great, it has similar flavoring with further refinements in technicalities. I'm happy to say I feel they both deliver good value at their respective price points.

Yes, I always insert the earphones, then tuck the memory wire behind my ear. Its fast for me, and it stays in place while lawn mowing, jogging, or laying on a day-bed (I wouldn't sleep with any headphones). The tips came in the little envelope for me too... they were designed to be a good fit for the majority of users, and the two tip attachment depths were meant to help more people find a good fit, but at the end of the day, there is quite a variance in ear physiology (which affects how we hear speakers and headphones too, by the way!) so there will always be some people who might have motivation to explore after market options. At least aftermarket tips are an option for those that need them. Personally, the small silicone Sennheiser tips fit me great, even better than the Acoustune AT07, but I was happy to try them out.

The IE 300 have a 124 dB (1 kHz / 1 Vrms) sensitivity... that may be less than some other In Ears, but that's more sensitive than most over ear headphones and I would still consider it high-sensitivity. If your BTR5 has good volume at 40%, I say that's great! You've got plenty of headroom to increase or decrease the volume if you want, I'd say 40% would be the sweet spot for amp synergy so that you can fine tune your listening and the amp itself won't wimp out at crescendo moments! How do you like that BTR5? I've never heard one.
Very tempted to buy the IE900. i'm hoping for a more holographic stage، a bit less and better quality bass and a touch less zing in treble perhaps?
Still I find the IE300 excellent and couldn't ask for more at this price .

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #415 of 738
Very tempted to buy the IE900. i'm hoping for a more holographic stage، a bit less and better quality bass and a touch less zing in treble perhaps?
Still I find the IE300 excellent and couldn't ask for more at this price .
That is you get with the IE900!

Oct 30, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #416 of 738
I need to compliment @EricNguyen and all the folks at Satin Audio. I finally got my IE300 cable from them. It took quite a while in this case. Viet Nam was recently hit very hard by the pandemic. I was very patient throughout the whole process. Eric rewarded my patience by offering to upgrade the Hyperion 4-wire to an 8-wire. This thing is freaking gorgeous!!! :heart_eyes:

This offers several advantages over the stock cable:
  • It's balanced.
  • The connectors are tighter than the stock cable so the iems don't spin around.
  • Very little microphonics.
  • Smooths out the peaky treble on the IE300.
The 4-wire is very reasonably priced; about $100US delivered to the States.

Here are a couple of pix. Don't let my poor photography skills fool you. It is a thing of beauty (both visually and sonically) in person.

Attachments

• _RGW1165.png
    _RGW1165.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • _RGW1166.png
    _RGW1166.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Oct 30, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #417 of 738
I need to compliment @EricNguyen and all the folks at Satin Audio. I finally got my IE300 cable from them. It took quite a while in this case. Viet Nam was recently hit very hard by the pandemic. I was very patient throughout the whole process. Eric rewarded my patience by offering to upgrade the Hyperion 4-wire to an 8-wire. This thing is freaking gorgeous!!! :heart_eyes:

This offers several advantages over the stock cable:
  • It's balanced.
  • The connectors are tighter than the stock cable so the iems don't spin around.
  • Very little microphonics.
  • Smooths out the peaky treble on the IE300.
The 4-wire is very reasonably priced; about $100US delivered to the States.

Here are a couple of pix. Don't let my poor photography skills fool you. It is a thing of beauty (both visually and sonically) in person.
Congrats, it looks great

Nov 1, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #418 of 738
Magic happens when my IE300 reaches the time mark around 660 hours of burn-in. The peaky treble is gone and the overall sound signature has become smoother than before.

I don't know if the stock 4.4mm cable would be the cause. May be it gains a better control on the timbre than the 3.5mm cable after 100 hours of burn-in.

I also find the following Audio Technica ear tips do a good seal and they fit perfectly to my ears:

https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/product/ER-CKS50

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #419 of 738
These are 197€ on Amazon Spain right now.

Considering that buying Chifi from the EU is quite a pain in the ass, it is a good offer. No custom problems, no worries if they have to be returned (they apply Christmas return policy, so I can try them until the 31 of January 2022...)

Nov 5, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #420 of 738

Considering that buying Chifi from the EU is quite a pain in the ass, it is a good offer. No custom problems, no worries if they have to be returned (they apply Christmas return policy, so I can try them until the 31 of January 2022...)

Was tempted to buy a pair but inhale the ie800 and I’m not sure if I will like the sound signature. With that return policy I might try them. Do you know if they give q full refund on IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back