Sennheiser IE300 Review & Measurements
Mar 26, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #196 of 738
Hey folks; I am currently going between my Thieaudio Clairvoyance and the Campfire Audio Andromeda (and when I can't find these, the Noble x Drop K10 and the Fearless S8F).

I'm looking for a single DD IEM to complement these. I already have the JVC HA-FD01 but the fit is terrible for me and honestly, I just don't know how they sound... and I can't make them work.
I listen mostly to heavy metal. I am not a bass head and for my music styles, clear midrange and treble are paramount. Over-bright and it can kill the sound though.

Budget isn't really an issue but I do favor smaller IEMs I can just keep in my backpack if I travel/commute etc... which is why I'm drawn to the Senns (also my first pair of aftermarket IRMs were some Sennheiser CX500 so there's a history here!).

Do the 300s fit that bill? Reviews say they may... but I trust actual users more, and I also don't know what other options there are since DD IEMs aren't as common these days!

If you absolutely must have a single DD IEM, I'd say your best options for metal are:

Low/Mid price: Periodic Beryllium
High Price: Campfire Vega BUT only with a balanced cable and Azla SednaEarFit tips - otherwise you won't get the mid presence you want here. Any other configuration will be an absolute no-go on Vega for you... it's too warm until it's not. Then it's incredible.

I would recommend the Azla SednaEarFit tips on the Beryllium, as well. They really do open the stage and bring out the upper mids on just about everything.

I think the IE 300 will be too bassy for you and the mids will be too recessed. I think they are much better for hip hop and electronic than metal, due to their apocalyptic bass slam. Based on what you've outlined above, they don't sound like a good match for you.

If you're open to non-single DD IEM, it sounds like what you really want sonically is the Audiosense T800. You'll want to pair that with JVC Spiral Dots, which extend the bass and bring a slightly hot upper mid back to pretty much dead-even neutral. Super clear and crispy in the mid and upper frequencies and great for metal.

If you want something with more of a dynamic punch, then I'd recommend the Fiio FH7, which is my favorite IEM, full stop. I own the Andromeda, Vega, Rai Penta, W60, etc... FH7 gets all the listening time because it's just fun, satisfying, pleasant, punchy... all the things.

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #197 of 738
Well, these have a moderate V-shaped emphasis so I think they would be good with heavy metal, but @B9Scrambler and @Hansotek have been using the IE 300 and listen to Metal more than me, so see what they have to say.

Will audition a pair very soon. demo unit ready & waiting for me, lols.
just very bz atm (2 shifts & crazy deadlines)...

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #198 of 738
Will audition a pair very soon. demo unit ready & waiting for me, lols.
just very bz atm (2 shifts & crazy deadlines)...
I understand that life! Stay well, have fun

Mar 26, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #199 of 738
If you absolutely must have a single DD IEM, I'd say your best options for metal are:

High Price: Campfire Vega BUT only with a balanced cable and Azla SednaEarFit tips - otherwise you won't get the mid presence you want here. Any other configuration will be an absolute no-go on Vega for you... it's too warm until it's not. Then it's incredible.

I would recommend the Azla SednaEarFit tips on the Beryllium, as well. They really do open the stage and bring out the upper mids on just about everything.

I think the IE 300 will be too bassy for you and the mids will be too recessed. I think they are much better for hip hop and electronic than metal, due to their apocalyptic bass slam. Based on what you've outlined above, they don't sound like a good match for you.

If you're open to non-single DD IEM, it sounds like what you really want sonically is the Audiosense T800. You'll want to pair that with JVC Spiral Dots, which extend the bass and bring a slightly hot upper mid back to pretty much dead-even neutral. Super clear and crispy in the mid and upper frequencies and great for metal.

If you want something with more of a dynamic punch, then I'd recommend the Fiio FH7, which is my favorite IEM, full stop. I own the Andromeda, Vega, Rai Penta, W60, etc... FH7 gets all the listening time because it's just fun, satisfying, pleasant, punchy... all the things.
What about using the E types? Will these help raising the mids a considerable bit?

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #200 of 738
What about using the E types? Will these help raising the mids a considerable bit?

The Final E tips provide a fairly cohesive sound for the Sennheisers, but there's definitely a sense of veil, warmth and the stage is very congested. It not that that veil is necessarily a bad thing. If you're a fan of Audeze's classic sound, it might be right up your alley. I still think the imaging is kind of a mess with the E tips though. I think the Azla SednaEarFit tips restore some more upper midrange and sparkle and make the stage much more cohesive. Even if the FR is just a tad bumpy with the EarFit... it's still the best presentation, IMHO.

I was being very specific to the previous commenter's post "I am not a bass head, and for my music styles, clear midrange and treble are paramount." If that's what you're looking for, you're probably not going to like the IE 300. If you want something that's fun, warm and slams like nobody's business, you're going to like it a lot.

Mar 26, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #201 of 738

For the exact same price, the FiiO FD5 absolutely destroys the Be. :sunglasses:

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #202 of 738

That's great stuff, thank you!
Interesting about the Vega, I was kind of considering it, but I also have the Atlas and did NOT enjoy them. They're way too intense in the bass, not at all something I can listen to for longer time-periods. It just gets... too much.

I don't have a balanced source yet though I was considering upgrading my DragonFly Red and Centrance DAC Pro with something like an Earmen Sparrow or Lottoo Paw S1... but then I don't have other balanced IEMs so it may be an expensive purchase for a 1-off benefit.

I absolutely do NOT need more IEMs so maybe that's a sign to not give-in just yet :D

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #203 of 738
Looking like probably May... though it’s still tough to predict with Covid manufacturing and shipping delays. How do you feel about the stock cable?
Thanks! Let me keep an eye on when approaching May.

Well, with the stock cable, the IE 300 already sounds great, but if it is with 4.4mm balanced cable, I believe the SQ will be more enhanced by darker background, and more details in instrument separation.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #204 of 738
The Final E tips provide a fairly cohesive sound for the Sennheisers, but there's definitely a sense of veil, warmth and the stage is very congested. It not that that veil is necessarily a bad thing. If you're a fan of Audeze's classic sound, it might be right up your alley. I still think the imaging is kind of a mess with the E tips though. I think the Azla SednaEarFit tips restore some more upper midrange and sparkle and make the stage much more cohesive. Even if the FR is just a tad bumpy with the EarFit... it's still the best presentation, IMHO.

I was being very specific to the previous commenter's post "I am not a bass head, and for my music styles, clear midrange and treble are paramount." If that's what you're looking for, you're probably not going to like the IE 300. If you want something that's fun, warm and slams like nobody's business, you're going to like it a lot.
I need large tips. Final E LL are too small for me. While the stock IE300 silicones did get a seal, I'm getting a better one with these super cheap BQEYZ silicones, which are also a bit stiffer than the super-soft stock Senn tips. Going to order another set shortly. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32998871168.html

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #206 of 738
I'm not sure I would discount the IE300 that quickly. I've been quiet as I hadn't finished my listening until recently and don't like speaking about things too soon as I end up having to walk things back too often when I do. Yes the IE300 does have more bass than neutral, but I don't think it really detracts from the signature unless you pair it with tracks that use a lot of artificial bass enhancements. My suspicion here is that the polarity of some of the reviews to date is very likely based on choices of source material. The places where I found the bass a bit loose and unflattering were things like hip-hop, dubstep, and EDM where a lot of electronic sub-bass is being added to the mix. That doubling down on the boost between the track and the iem does push it to a place I can see evoking some of the comments I've seen to date. For old school rock, strings, and even full orchestral pieces, Its actually quite nice though with better stereo separation than just about anything in its price range including the LZ A7 which I loved. It blows the blessing 2 out of the water for imaging too which says a lot. It is unfortunate that it probably isn't the best all-arounder, but with source material selected to match it, its quite good. My full review should be posted tomorrow when I have time to put final touches on pictures.

Apr 2, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #208 of 738
I was considering the IE300's for a long time but as a non-basshead I was very uncertain if they were for me. I held back. I then discovered the IE100 PRO (wired, not BT) version which I received yesterday and for me they are absolutely spot on! Love them! So much I may buy a spare set especially as they're less than £80 delivered! The cable is a bit microphonic but isn't noticeable more so than most other cables.

For reference my on my taste, the iBasso IT00's are too prominent in the bass department for me. Paired with a "warm" amp such as the HipDac, I find the Fiio FA1's to be almost ideal, a bit more laid back than the IE100's. The IE100's overall blow both of them away in every regard (and at a Chi-Fi price)

Hope that helps someone/anyone.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #209 of 738
My review of the IE 300.

Some notes:
  • I quite like the form factor and fit. These really fit "inside" my ear entirely. Very comfortable, easy to sleep in, and also very secure fitting -- they don't budge.
  • The cable is not my favorite, it's a bit stiff, memory prone, has bendable ear hooks, and is very microphonic. The MMCX connectors are recessed enough that it'll be hard to find a third party replacement.
  • The stock silicone tips are kinda useless for me -- the walls are so thin I just can't consistently get a seal. I ended up listening with Final E-type tips. More below.
  • Sound is VERY bassy-oriented. Big bass, elevated upper treble, and surprisingly recessed upper midrange. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, the tuning isn't too dissimilar for the Momentum TW2. Kind of an IEM analog of AirPods Max tuning.
  • For a single-DD, technicalities are decent. Attack definition, resolution, and imaging quality are all OK, a step up maybe from ER2XR, but not massively ahead. I think vs. a $300 hybrid like Moondrop Blessing 2, the IE 300 feels behind. Even vs. the JVC FDX1, which now goes for $200.
  • So tuning and technicalities are not impressive for my tastes, but I do still find myself enjoying the IE 300. The quality of the fit helps a lot.
On the frequency response, here's how mine graphs on my measurement rig.

graph - 2021-04-03T121821.438.png

More graphs: https://squig.link/?share=Sennheise...300_(Final_E),Sennheiser_IE_300_(Sedna_Light)

Because I needed to swap tips, I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything obviously wrong to the FR, so I measured the response with stock tips and with a couple of aftermarket tips I was trying (Final E-type and Azla Sedna Light). The graph above shows the difference with the Final E-type tips, which I found actually improve the sound a bit, at least for my preference. The tips seem to reduce the treble zing a bit and make IE 300 easier to listen to longer, improved handling of sibilant recordings, and even add a couple dB of upper midrange. This result is repeatable on my measurement rig, and to my ear the measurements seem right. So IMO this is an earphone that not just fits better with Final E-type tips, it sounds better too.

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #210 of 738

Users who are viewing this thread

Back