Sennheiser IE300 Review & Measurements
Mar 17, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #181 of 738
I received my IE 300 and paid only 189€.
So far i like them, but they are definitely on the bassy side.
But the cable drives me crazy - did anyone find a working aftermarket cable? Aliexpress prefered :)
Cable is driving me nuts too.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #183 of 738
received my IE300 a few days ago. I knew I would be using it with EQ only.
Though I'm still confused about the stock tuning decision sennheiser took.
I'm fine with the amount of bass. The treble is very resolving and not piercing per say. It is just elevated way too much. (Though it fit's the glittery, sparkly aesthetic of the shells for sure ).

Let's see if sennheiser takes a different tuning direction for the upcoming IE600/IE900.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #184 of 738
It's coming to town, before end of this month.
A new authorised Senn. reseller tipped me this unit...

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #185 of 738
Mar 25, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #188 of 738

I'm looking at the Ali replacement cable and it says it is for the IE40. The tip seems to have a two-tiered connector rather than the one-tiered one I see on my IE300. Evshrug or someone from Sennheiser or someone who has both, will the MMCX connector on the IE40 cable fit the IE300?

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 10.03.26 PM.pngReally, this cable is a serious misfire -- what the heck were they thinking -- and it would be so good to have a non-microphonic braided one.

Mar 25, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #189 of 738
I'm looking at the Ali replacement cable and it says it is for the IE40. The tip seems to have a two-tiered connector rather than the one-tiered one I see on my IE300. Evshrug or someone from Sennheiser or someone who has both, will the MMCX connector on the IE40 cable fit the IE300?

Really, this cable is a serious misfire -- what the heck were they thinking -- and it would be so good to have a non-microphonic braided one.
The IE 40 uses SSMCX which is smaller than the IE 300 MMCX connector. The decision to seat the IE 300 cable deeper in the socket is defensible, as this was proven to be more durable by reducing the side-to-side strain induced by the cable. Except for eartips/wax guards and the cables, there are no other user-replaceable parts on these sub-miniature earphones so it is imperative to build them for the long haul. Most in-ear wearers prefer an ear loop fit, so strain relief becomes a bigger design factor. MMCX is widely used, so the connector is also a critical design factor. The aftermarket cables will follow but the headphone has to be working to enjoy them :wink: Hope that helps. [edited for additional clarity]

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 25, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #190 of 738
The IE 40 uses SSMCX which is smaller than the IE 300 MMCX connector. The decision to seat the cable deeper in the socket is defensible, as it was proven to be more durable in that it reduced side-to-side strain induced by the cable. The sole idea here is that you can keep the headphones operating as long as possible. Except for eartips/wax guards and the cables, there are no other user-replaceable parts on these sub-miniature earphones so it is imperative to build them for the long haul. Most in-ear wearers prefer an ear loop fit, so strain relief becomes a factor. MMCX is widely used, so the connector is also a factor. The aftermarket cables will follow but the headphone has to be working to enjoy them :wink: Hope that helps.
"The decision to seat the cable deeper in the socket is defensible." But the decision to have an essentially proprietary cable that is so ridiculously microphonic is far from defensible.

Sennheiser isn't alone in this thoughtless design. I have an OEM Shure cable that is also crazily microphonic. But at least I can swap that out for a Chinese cable that cost 1/3 as much and doesn't sound like a tsunami in my ears.

Did no one from Sennheiser actually try wearing these?

I get microphonics using them at my desk, even with a shirt clip (not even supplied by Sennheiser). I can't imagine walking around much or exercising with this cable. Let's hope the Chinese knockoff factories seize this opportunity soon because the poorly designed cable is a constant distraction from the good sound.

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #191 of 738
Mar 26, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #192 of 738
Does anyone know when Sennheiser will release the 4.4mm balanced cable for IE300?

Looking like probably May... though it’s still tough to predict with Covid manufacturing and shipping delays. How do you feel about the stock cable?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #193 of 738
Hey folks; I am currently going between my Thieaudio Clairvoyance and the Campfire Audio Andromeda (and when I can't find these, the Noble x Drop K10 and the Fearless S8F).

I'm looking for a single DD IEM to complement these. I already have the JVC HA-FD01 but the fit is terrible for me and honestly, I just don't know how they sound... and I can't make them work.
I listen mostly to heavy metal. I am not a bass head and for my music styles, clear midrange and treble are paramount. Over-bright and it can kill the sound though.

Budget isn't really an issue but I do favor smaller IEMs I can just keep in my backpack if I travel/commute etc... which is why I'm drawn to the Senns (also my first pair of aftermarket IRMs were some Sennheiser CX500 so there's a history here!).

Do the 300s fit that bill? Reviews say they may... but I trust actual users more, and I also don't know what other options there are since DD IEMs aren't as common these days!

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #194 of 738
Hey folks; I am currently going between my Thieaudio Clairvoyance and the Campfire Audio Andromeda (and when I can't find these, the Noble x Drop K10 and the Fearless S8F).

I'm looking for a single DD IEM to complement these. I already have the JVC HA-FD01 but the fit is terrible for me and honestly, I just don't know how they sound... and I can't make them work.
I listen mostly to heavy metal. I am not a bass head and for my music styles, clear midrange and treble are paramount. Over-bright and it can kill the sound though.

Budget isn't really an issue but I do favor smaller IEMs I can just keep in my backpack if I travel/commute etc... which is why I'm drawn to the Senns (also my first pair of aftermarket IRMs were some Sennheiser CX500 so there's a history here!).

Do the 300s fit that bill? Reviews say they may... but I trust actual users more, and I also don't know what other options there are since DD IEMs aren't as common these days!
Well, these have a moderate V-shaped emphasis so I think they would be good with heavy metal, but @B9Scrambler and @Hansotek have been using the IE 300 and listen to Metal more than me, so see what they have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back