Sennheiser Headphone Connector
Jan 8, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by picklgreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These connectors are not sold nor will they ever be sold separately. There would be no way to solder the wire to the connectors anyways. I have seen people cut the stock sennheiser connectors off of stock cables, cut them apart (!) and solder their own wires to them, attempting to make their own homegrown cables...but than of course I have such a stomach ache from laughing hysterically at them that I need to go rest....

just a bit pretentious are we?

if you laugh at people doing such thing i think the DIY section is not for you
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #18 of 65
Wow, so far the people at Sennheiser Canada, are definitely the typical Quebec office workers, whole callcenter is out to lunch, then away from desk for an hour and a half, oh how I miss working at Fido in Montreal
smily_headphones1.gif

Finally, got in touch with them. They do sell the HD650 cables and pretty reasonable price too, $15 each, unfortunately, it's + TAX + $11.50 shipping so it's like $30 for the cable.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #20 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
n_maher: Looks like a really nice cutting job, but is that connector opened up or did you leave a little original cable and attach a different cable to it?

Thanks! I found via a bit of experimentation that my preferred method was to splice outside of the actual connector so yes, there is a little (1/2" maybe) of the existing wire left. Opening up the connector via the "dremel" method seemed to do much more harm than good.

So in the end I use 3 layers of heat shrink to hold the whole thing together. 1 layer is on each individual wire to keep them from shorting and to add strength, the next covers those two wires to get back closer to the original cable diameter and the last is to bridge the gap and add strength to the whole assembly. I think I've built 4 cables like this now and all of them are in use without problems.

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #22 of 65
Quote:

Also, just wandering, how easy is it to work with the solder the stock cable? No surprises like enamel coating or anything like that right?

I could be wrong but my memory tells me that the Senn wires are indeed enamel coated. I was able to pretty easily burn it off with my Weller WLC100 turned up to 5.

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #23 of 65
If you take the grille off, and look right above the bottom, there are two metal (posts?) things. I am thinking though, aren't those two metal poles the contacts themselves? That means you can mount the jack on the flat black section above the poles, and have a pair of centimeter length wires soldered to the two poles. That would be achievable minimal physical modification to the main headphone unit itself- just an enlargement of the present wire connector entry to accommodate a mini plug.

Or the wire can just be soldered onto the poles, which is what I would love to attempt once I get some good cable and connectors, and find out whether those poles are actually part of the connector receptacle.

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #24 of 65
I wonder if we can set something up with Sennheiser for a cable group buy. They're a forum sponsor, so maybe it's not so out of the question...

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if we can set something up with Sennheiser for a cable group buy. They're a forum sponsor, so maybe it's not so out of the question...

Just shoot a PM to Jude about it first
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #26 of 65
hYdrociTy, those little metal posts are indeed in the circuit. It would be nice to have a 1/8" jack in addition to the stock connector, but the only non-invasive way to do this would be to mount the jack in the grill, which is less than ideal.

It would be really nice to simply craft some kind of adapter that would consist of a 1/8" mono jack with the proper sized dual pins soldered on the other end. With a bit of sanding to the jack for clearance, this adapter would then simply be pushed into where the stock cables normally go. This would be the most promising route IMO.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #27 of 65
I'm going to play around with this DIY adapter over then next few days. For anyone interested, I measured the stock Senn connector with calipers and here are the specs:

sennconnectorwithinfojpib3.jpg

For the positive pin 16ga is the closest match and for the ground pin 14ga is the closest.

Feedback/suggestions on this are welcome of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #28 of 65
I just got my HD600 in today and can I just say WOW! I never knew the connector on these is THAT SMALL! This is going to be major missions to try and modify it.

Plus, I never knew the cable on the HD600's is that scrawny, no comparison to the cables on my Alessandro MS2.

Guess, I'll be buying like 3 HD600 cables from Sennheiser Canada and trying get some interchangeable ones to play with.

Does anybody have a picture of an opened up (cut open) Sennheiser connector to see how far the pins go, I'm sure there was one floating around somewhere here.

Thanks

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #29 of 65
Quote:

I just got my HD600 in today and can I just say WOW! I never knew the connector on these is THAT SMALL! This is going to be major missions to try and modify it.

Like I said, cutting open the connector (even on the 650 cable) is a recipe for disaster. Or at least frustration!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Plus, I never knew the cable on the HD600's is that scrawny, no comparison to the cables on my Alessandro MS2.

The 650 cable is a good deal larger in diameter. I think the wires in the 600 cable are 30ga, if that.

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #30 of 65
I would recommend against cutting at the connector portion. Instead you should solder at the wire region, may be leave half an inch of wire. That half an inch of wire isn't going to completely negate the mod. I did it this way using canare starquad and the improvement is really noticiable. Also if you open up the driver, you wil see that before going from the connector to the actually driver, there is a hair thin wire that connects the connector to the actual driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back