Sennheiser HE1: Talk me off the ledge
Dec 8, 2023 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I was looking at the HE1, very seriously.

This was after I was considering a Stax X9000 and an accompanying electrostatic amplifier like the BHSE or other.
However, after Canjam Dallas - I finally was able to compare several headphones and amplifiers - and it was eye opening how much better I liked the HE1 to anything else. The only thing remotely close for my ears was the X9000 on the Metaxas amp, and even then to me it sounded bass shy in comparison and grainy.

I have reached out to Sennheiser HE1 team and have exchanged perhaps 20 emails between the rep and I (whom Eric referred me to) and we have discussed everything from production, future direction of Sennheiser, Sonova (sp?) take over, customizations, cost, deposit, warranty, etc.

I have a pretty good idea of what it costs - brand new it is $70,000 plus tax. There is no discount. It will be delivered in a crate that is housed within an external box of sorts, it would be on a pallet, strapped down. I believe there would be someone to deliver it to the room of the home and set up is part of the package.

Production is about 6 months for a heritage model, and about 12 months for a custom model. Customization can be made to nearly any aspect of the headphone cosmetic and amp cosmetic, but I don't believe I discussed any electrical or EQ changes if any.

I have found a very good source for a preowned unit however and I don't mind going this route to save a few bucks.

This would be the end for me with regards to headphones as I don't see myself chasing anything else. Would I want something else? Maybe, but right now, if the HE1 is what I felt it was during my Canjam demo, it would be sufficient to take me through until the next HE1 is released, if ever.

Only problem I have is that I have a bit of cold feet. Now that the time has come to put up or shut up, I can't help but feel uneasy about such an exotic purchase.

This would be in my stereo room, I picture it next to my listening chair. I would have a biometric lock going into my room. The HE1 would sit on its own stand. I picture myself listening to the HE1 or my speaker system, depending on my mood. There's something nice about not having to turn all all the components and powering up the amp to listen to music. I also like the predictability of the headphone set up... sometimes speakers can sound different depending on what's in the room or other reflection points that might be present if others were around.

I would also assume that several local audiophiles in Dallas would want to make their way to my room.

I would also love to let my kids (9, 7, 6yo) have full use of the unit so they can appreciate music at a high level.... not that they don't already with my speaker system.

So, I guess I'm just trying to vent/speak to a sounding board... I know only I can make the ultimate decision of buying one... but I can't help feeling a little trepidation about pulling the trigger now that I have the opportunity in front of me. It's not an easy decision given the high entry fee... but it will definitely my love letter to music. I do appreciate a good system, I have spent many hours listening to my speaker system and I have spent even more hours tweaking it and pushing the envelope.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #2 of 35
If you have that much in disposable income and it would bring you complete happiness, go for it.

My personal advice is that it's not a sound investment. $75k in a 12 mo CD could earn like 5%. Have you set up 529s for all the kids college? I'm no financial expert but what I'm saying is the money might benefit them if invested differently.

At the very least, you should go listen to it again privately and at length.

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 35
Just know that you might feel like you’re running out of time to make a decision, but you can take a step back and relax. It’s not something you need. Just something you want. With such a costly entry point I would say get another proper demo if you can before dropping that kind of cash. Even if you have to spend on some flights to do so, that will serve as your insurance.

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 35
Used ones are difficult and rare to find. If I was going new, I’d want a home demo first.

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 35
Used ones are difficult and rare to find. If I was going new, I’d want a home demo first.
Correct, there was one for sale in Korea for $42k ish but I don’t see the listing anymore or else I’d send it to you.

Sound purchase or not I say go for it since it makes you happy and can afford it. I can understand the angst with pulling the trigger and dropping that much into head-fi but if it’s a dream I say chase it.

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 35
I think there’s equity in this headphone, I’m sure if I were to change my mind and resell, it’ll move. It’s a very nice sounding unit. I think it is a special piece.

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 35
HE-1 sounds pretty good (not amazing) if you use the internal dac. Given you already have Emm Labs, that shouldn't be an issue. I would go for it if that's your main hobby and especially so if your kids like to listen to your headphone/speaker rig as well. $70k is like $7k a year or $580 a month (or a few dinners).

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 35
I think you need to fly up to Chicago and listen to the SR-X9000 and the Abyss 1266 on the B-21 before finalizing your decision. Ray has finished all the internals and is working to get the chassis done. I actually just got off the phone with him as he said it was done. So much so he is letting me pick it up Sunday and listen to it for a couple of weeks. If you catch the Saturday night red eye to O'Hare you could spend several hours with it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #9 of 35
I check prices daily and have only seen one for sale used over the years. It was a dealer in Miami and was $50k non negotiable. The listing was only up a week before it sold. My limit would be a Susvara and A70Pro/D70 Velvet or Benchmark HPA4 with their DAC.

Dec 9, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #10 of 35
Due to the price, HE-1 strikes me as being like a marriage. Are you a monogamous type? Will you be content to buy and hold in a market that is constantly evolving? It is a large investment and one that you will likely feel locked into long term due to the cost. Like you, I am/was mainly a speakers only guy but getting Qobuz allowed me to explore many different types of music, much of which my wife didn’t like. This led to me using headphones a lot more and that, in turn, led me to building a headphone station within my main speaker rack. This evolved over time and I now use headphones slightly more than speakers these days and I particularly enjoy being able to select different phones/amps depending upon my mood and listening requirements. Is that you, or can you just commit to ‘the one’?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 35
Yeah, I'm probably just overthinking it.
I like it, I compared it to other estats and planars and clearly preferred it.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 35
Decision made.

Thx all

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #13 of 35
Due to the price, HE-1 strikes me as being like a marriage. Are you a monogamous type? Will you be content to buy and hold in a market that is constantly evolving? It is a large investment and one that you will likely feel locked into long term due to the cost. Like you, I am/was mainly a speakers only guy but getting Qobuz allowed me to explore many different types of music, much of which my wife didn’t like. This led to me using headphones a lot more and that, in turn, led me to building a headphone station within my main speaker rack. This evolved over time and I now use headphones slightly more than speakers these days and I particularly enjoy being able to select different phones/amps depending upon my mood and listening requirements. Is that you, or can you just commit to ‘the one’?
Beautifully said, a hobbyist with years of joy eh?

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 35
Decision made.

Thx all
Big purchase, with that kind of money spent on audio, I would actually consider the Sasha Vs from Wilson instead.

But we like what we like, I get it.

"Pray all my brothers get so paid....
Hope that only thing that kills them is old age...."
-random

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 35
Big purchase, with that kind of money spent on audio, I would actually consider the Sasha Vs from Wilson instead.

But we like what we like, I get it.

"Pray all my brothers get so paid....
Hope that only thing that kills them is old age...."
-random

Why do you say that? I already have 4 speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back