Sennheiser HE1: Talk me off the ledge
Dec 13, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #16 of 35
Why do you say that? I already have 4 speakers
I said that because I had no idea you had 4 speakers.

I only have 1 pair (Fleetwood Deville) and lately I been a little curious about the Wilson Brand, partially since there is so much hate for them. I do get impression they are overpriced but something about them do make me curious. About to demo them tomorrow for the very first time at a dealer, quite excited to satisfy that curiosity.

Which speakers do you have and if you were to put some words describing each, how would you?

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #17 of 35
I said that because I had no idea you had 4 speakers.

I only have 1 pair (Fleetwood Deville) and lately I been a little curious about the Wilson Brand, partially since there is so much hate for them. I do get impression they are overpriced but something about them do make me curious. About to demo them tomorrow for the very first time at a dealer, quite excited to satisfy that curiosity.

Which speakers do you have and if you were to put some words describing each, how would you?
Ah very good!
I’m sure the Wilsons are very good. I have heard most of the line including Sabrina, Alexia 1/2, Sasha 1/2/DAW. Alexx. XVX.

It has a particular presentation, some love it.

My speakers are four:
Magico Mini 2 - best two way bookshelf I’ve heard. Very pretty. No nonsense design. A classic. Need to keep as a museum piece.
Magico M2 - sealed, quick, fills a medium room. An A minus speaker across the board. Probably my favorite. In my mancave with the best components I have. Turn off the lights, and I’m listening to music until 5am.
Sonus Faber Olympica 3 - smooth, least resolving of my speakers. Great TV speakers. Pretty. In the family room.
BW802d4 - pretty, stealth, muscular. Great midrange. Probably most spooky in terms of sense of space. Poor lateral dispersion. Gameroom speakers.

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #19 of 35
Just a personal view: owning something supposed to be "the best", "the ultimate" can be stressful. You will have that initial rush, but sooner or later there will be other headphones that are even bester. Or there will be HE1 Mk 2. Having always the best is a good strategy only if money is absolutely no issue at all.

Dec 14, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #20 of 35
Just a personal view: owning something supposed to be "the best", "the ultimate" can be stressful. You will have that initial rush, but sooner or later there will be other headphones that are even bester. Or there will be HE1 Mk 2. Having always the best is a good strategy only if money is absolutely no issue at all.
But the “best” is subjective unless you have heard it yourself. The OP said he’s demoed it so at least from what’s currently available he’s fine with HE 1. Will there be something newer? Yes. Will it be better? Maybe. Once you reach the summit-fi level “best” is often what flavor suits your personal tastes the most.

I bought the HE 90/HEV 90 system this year. There are some that view that as better than the HE 1 and others that don’t. I haven’t heard the HE 1 yet so I don’t know but I know the knife can cut either way for personal preference so I am in no rush to move on even though the HE 1 is a newer summit-fi tier product. All in good time. If he’s content then that’s good enough.

Edit: corrected name of HE-1 to HE 1

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #21 of 35
To the OP. If you truly can afford it, and I suspect that you can, we only have one life. It is not for others to judge what is right in such matters. It is all moot anyway as you noted that you reached a decision.

My guess is that you will be a very happy owner of an HE-1. However the decision played out, I hope that you are happy. Cheers

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #22 of 35
If you think about it Sennheiser released the HE90 aka "Orpheus" in 1991 and the follow up HE1 released in 2016. This is a 25 year gap between the two products so I wouldn't worry anytime soon about Sennheiser releasing another halo product. What a lot of us want is for Sennheiser to just make a consumer estat headphone but in all these years they haven't so I do not expect them to.

In regards to "best" the HE1 is not the best in every department of the sound. I compared my LCD 4 directly to the HE1 and found that I much preferred the vocals and richness in the instruments on the LCD 4 and the soundstage on the HE1 is very narrow even compared to the LCD 4. The HE1 did however have the best natural instrumental timbre I have ever heard which was very impressive but it never made my cry in the couple of hours I had with it.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #23 of 35
Sometimes I wonder if I just went with x9000 and BHSE if that's enough to tide me over. The delta in cost to HE1 is quite a bit.
BUt it was so special when I heard it.

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 35
Dec 14, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #26 of 35
Didn't like the Aperio.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #27 of 35
I like the he-1 as a product and hope sennheiser produces a successor eventually. So sounds like you made your vote, but I’d be on the side of yes.

That said, I would take T2 + Sr-omega, He90 or even Sr-007mk1 over it. Not a fan of the x9k and sold mine after 6 months.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #28 of 35
Didn't like the Aperio.
It has a bigger stage but the bass impact is not there compared to the HE1. The HE1 also has a lot better instrumental timbre, vocals and treble control.

The Aperio has almost piercing treble for me and I kept having to turn down the volume on a lot of tracks.

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #29 of 35
Sometimes I wonder if I just went with x9000 and BHSE if that's enough to tide me over. The delta in cost to HE1 is quite a bit.
BUt it was so special when I heard it.

I think if you have a chance to snag an HE-1 used at a significant discount from a reputable seller, I think it's worth strongly considering. That's a very rare opportunity, and there just isn't much out there that will sound close to the Sennheiser signature at the TOTL level.

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #30 of 35
I think if you have a chance to snag an HE-1 used at a significant discount from a reputable seller, I think it's worth strongly considering. That's a very rare opportunity, and there just isn't much out there that will sound close to the Sennheiser signature at the TOTL level.
These units are loaned to dealers and they do not own them. Sennheiser will not sell you these demo units and you have to place an order and get a new unit for full MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back