Sennheiser HE1: Talk me off the ledge
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #31 of 35
These units are loaned to dealers and they do not own them. Sennheiser will not sell you these demo units and you have to place an order and get a new unit for full MSRP.

I was referring to the OP insinuating that he had a potential second hand used sale available as well, not home demo units from Sennheiser.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #32 of 35
I have the HE-1 at home for evaluation since 10 days now, and I am enjoying them immensely. I am comparing them with my AB-1266 and Valkyria, both driven by the AIC-10.

1000014535-01.jpeg

I am taking plenty of notes and will do a proper writeup or two when I have time, but I just wanted to chime in, with (unsolicited, unnecessary) reassurance of our lucky fellow @Joey_V : you made a great purchase!

This system is an unflappable pleasure-generating machine (especially for the edhonist, rather than the analytical, audiophile), regardless of the music genre that you throw at it.

I definitely could not find an actual flaw - although the HE-1 are not "perfect" or the best at everything - and, for example, I sure don't find the soundstage being narrow or congested.
It sounds grand, expansive, three-dimensional here, even in comparison to something like the AB-1266 (which indeed has a further expansion of the staging, but not by much).

Indeed, the internal DAC can be bettered, and the direct comparison with the Rossini APEX / Clock shows it clearly, as it should given the additional investment. Also, the source plays an utterly significant role, like with all top systems, and the HE-1 is no exception. They cannot recover what has been lost or damaged upstream.

Many of the impressions I have read seemed to be coming from a minimalistic setup with a simple laptop connected to the HE-1, and in this context indeed they can be hampered dramatically.

I will report back with more detail my feelings, also in comparison with my other gear, in due time.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #33 of 35
I have the HE-1 at home for evaluation since 10 days now, and I am enjoying them immensely. I am comparing them with my AB-1266 and Valkyria, both driven by the AIC-10.

1000014535-01.jpeg

I am taking plenty of notes and do a proper writeup or two when I have time, but I just wanted to chime in, with (unsolicited, unnecessary) reassurance of our lucky fellow @Joey_V : you made a great purchase!

This system is an unflappable pleasure-generating machine (especially for the edhonist, rather than the analytical, audiophile), regardless of the music genre that you throw at it.

I definitely could not find an actual flaw - although the HE-1 are not "perfect" or the best at everything - and, for example, I sure don't find the soundstage being narrow or congested.
It sounds grand, expansive, three-dimensional here, even in comparison to something like the AB-1266 (which indeed has a further expansion of the staging, but not by much).

Indeed, the internal DAC can be bettered, and the direct comparison with the Rossini APEX / Clock shows it clearly, as it should given the additional investment. Also, the source plays an utterly significant role, like with all top systems, and the HE-1 is no exception. They cannot recover what has been lost or damaged upstream.

Many of the impressions I have read seemed to be coming from a minimalistic setup with a simple laptop connected to the HE-1, and in this context indeed they can be hampered dramatically.

I will report back with more detail my feelings, also in comparison with my other gear, in due time.
Eagerly awaiting your impressions and comparisons.

I listened to the HE1 with the Lina DAC via Roon for a couple of hours and they truly excel at every genre you throw at it. I agree with you that they are not perfect and the soundstage width is a lot more reduced compared to the 800S. However, they're tonality is something I have never heard before. The treble is maybe the most impressive part to me because the extension and detail up top is better than Susvara whilst having even better treble control. It never gets peaky or shouty and you can really turn the volume up on these and get an even fuller sound.

The bass on the HE1 is almost a miracle because I don't understand how they've got planar mid bass slam like an LCD 4 whilst having the texture and detail of an estat.

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #34 of 35

1000014535-01.jpeg

I am taking plenty of notes and will do a proper writeup or two when I have time, but I just wanted to chime in, with (unsolicited, unnecessary) reassurance of our lucky fellow @Joey_V : you made a great purchase!

Oh wow, HE-1 with Rossini....hmm which to buy: 911 Carrera or a headphone rig :sweat_smile:

Dec 15, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #35 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back