Sennheiser HE-60 ''The Legendary Baby"
Sep 30, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #94 of 149
I'm looking to pair HE-60 with an aftermarket amp and checking out this e-stat amp spreadsheet done by another HFer. What are the maximum "safe" RMS and peak voltage numbers I need to keep under so I won't be able to overdrive and damage my HE-60 by accident?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1slWUvxnfK7unQTETlxblsdHPc-jRMIMShAC9JwVALUU/edit#gid=0

Also, which Stax amp has synergy with HE-60? Is higher output usually going to sound more dynamic (e.g. SRM-727 @ 450V > SRM-007t @ 340V)?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #95 of 149
Hello everyone, I've just acquired a HE-60 + matching amplifier that was "never used". Someone kept it inside the box for 30 years or so. Which is great, right?

The only problem is that the seller completely filled the thing with dust fingerprints when taking the photos for the ad... because the box was so full of dust after all those years, and then touching the headphone with it... yeah.

So I'm honestly pretty worried, considering these do not have a proper dust filter inside (or so I've been told) and therefore die extremely easy if a bit of dust sets in.

I'm covered by the paypal warranty, if they arrive and they make weird noises I will file a claim, however I worry that they will sound OK for the first day and then develop noises over time once that dust sets in....

Any thoughts? Also the pads are in very bad shape, but I have new ones coming soon.

Quoting myself... This turned out to be a scam (seller ran away with the money as soon as I sent it).

I got my money back and bought another set of he-60, for an even cheaper price, which is also alarming.

However this time it seems to be legit but the seller advised me there is channel imbalance for the first 10 minutes or so.

We'll see.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #96 of 149
Quoting myself... This turned out to be a scam (seller ran away with the money as soon as I sent it).

I got my money back and bought another set of he-60, for an even cheaper price, which is also alarming.

However this time it seems to be legit but the seller advised me there is channel imbalance for the first 10 minutes or so.

We'll see.
How does dust get into a sealed closed box?

Sep 15, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #97 of 149

We'll see.

There is no such thing as a unused set of a TOTL vintage headphones. I'm glad you got your money back.

As far as a temporary channel imbalance that corrects itself after time, I have experienced that with a few old stats. I've owned three pairs of HE60s, it was my first stat love. A gem in a few regards for sure. I sent a pair off for channel imbalance for repair once, the other two pairs never had issues. They are special and worth a bit of a fight if they fit your needs.

Has the seemingly reputable second seller accounted for it in the price? The price of these recently have shot up tremendously beyond their capabilities, which is somewhat normal for vintage cans, but with an imbalance issue I would expect nearly $1k below market value imo.

Sep 15, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #98 of 149
The post is from Oct 22 and the user hasn’t been online since Apr. You may not get a response.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #99 of 149
The post is from Oct 22 and the user hasn’t been online since Apr. You may not get a response.
Good catch. I got a notification and responded immediately lol

Sep 16, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #100 of 149
Sep 16, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #101 of 149
Are you aware of any solutions for modding some hd600 series earpads onto he60?

No I'm not. I can't remember how the HD600 pads attached or how they're different than the HE60. I would assume if close to the same size, it could be done. If not, there are so many aftermarket pad options that I'm sure you could figure out something. Have you tried searching around?

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #102 of 149
This pair of Baby Orpheus just got delivered today. Enjoying them out of the Carbon right now. :)

IMG_0386.jpeg

Nov 2, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #103 of 149
I'm still enjoying mine. These are probably the most enjoyable headphones I own, and have replaced my Stax Lambda Signature as my daily driver. However I think they are overpriced in comparison to the Lambda Signature, as you can have the Stax for 500-600usd and has higher resolution across the board.

The thing is... the HE60 just sounds correct. The tonality is just right. It's as if someone just slightly dialed in the tonality with a small knob until it was completely perfect :)

I'm sad I don't have an original box for them. The cable has been completely replaced for a Stax one (with the 5M ballast inside of course) and I use them at exactly 540V thanks to the iFi iESL. To power them I use a pair of 1981 Stax Class A 50W monoblock speaker amps (the best amps I've ever heard) and an ancient Sony DAC from 1985 as my source.

I also believe, as with all estats, if you leave them plugged in for a couple hours or three before listening, they sound better.

Nov 2, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #104 of 149
There is no such thing as a unused set of a TOTL vintage headphones. I'm glad you got your money back.

As far as a temporary channel imbalance that corrects itself after time, I have experienced that with a few old stats. I've owned three pairs of HE60s, it was my first stat love. A gem in a few regards for sure. I sent a pair off for channel imbalance for repair once, the other two pairs never had issues. They are special and worth a bit of a fight if they fit your needs.

Has the seemingly reputable second seller accounted for it in the price? The price of these recently have shot up tremendously beyond their capabilities, which is somewhat normal for vintage cans, but with an imbalance issue I would expect nearly $1k below market value imo.

Sorry that I took so long to reply, I'm not very active on this website as I'm much more active in Telegram groups for Hifi stuff.

There is no such thing as a unused set of a TOTL vintage headphones.

I'm going to say that yes there is. I purchased a brand new, completely unusued, in-box set of Stax Lambda Signature some time ago. Complete with plastic wrapping and everything, and its official warranty card never filled. I got very lucky :)

As for my experience with the HE-60, if you're curious, read the post I wrote just above this one. I'm very happy with it.

As for the imbalance, I don't mind since it's gone in 10 minutes and after that it's absolutely dead center, otherwise I wouldn't accept it (I cannot enjoy headphones with an imbalance in the sound, I need perfect center image). Normally I leave them plugged in and "charging" for about an hour before using, as I think they sound better this way (goes for all estats). So by the time I put them on there's no imbalance to be heard.

I did get them for a really good price, and I thought about selling since I got offers for more than double of what I paid for them, but I don't think I can. I'd miss them too much and they'd be too difficult and expensive to buy again.

Nov 2, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #105 of 149
I'm still enjoying mine. These are probably the most enjoyable headphones I own, and have replaced my Stax Lambda Signature as my daily driver. However I think they are overpriced in comparison to the Lambda Signature, as you can have the Stax for 500-600usd and has higher resolution across the board.

The thing is... the HE60 just sounds correct. The tonality is just right. It's as if someone just slightly dialed in the tonality with a small knob until it was completely perfect :)

I'm sad I don't have an original box for them. The cable has been completely replaced for a Stax one (with the 5M ballast inside of course) and I use them at exactly 540V thanks to the iFi iESL. To power them I use a pair of 1981 Stax Class A 50W monoblock speaker amps (the best amps I've ever heard) and an ancient Sony DAC from 1985 as my source.

I also believe, as with all estats, if you leave them plugged in for a couple hours or three before listening, they sound better.
Can you take photos of your cable?
I'm wondering if there are any visual differences to mine, as I too have Stax cable but I am unsure whether there's any resistor inside and/or where it would actually be located.

Also, you say you have some sort of imbalanced on your unit? How is it possible that by leaving it plugged in, the imbalance is gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back